|Burgess Meredith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5½ in|
|Date of Birth||November 16, 1907|
|Date of Death||September 9, 1997|
Burgess Meredith was an American actor, writer, producer, and voice actor whose career spanned more than 6 decades. He has been described as “a virtuosic actor” and “one of the most accomplished actors of the century”. Burgess Meredith was cast in movies such as The Story of G.I. Joe, Rocky film series, Golden Rendezvous, The Day of the Locust, Winterset, Of Mice and Men, Clash of the Titans, Foul Play, Golden Arrow, The Cardinal, Batman, Torture Garden, The Yin and the Yang of Mr. Go, and Grumpier Old Men. Also, he became the first male actor to win the Saturn Award for “Best Supporting Actor” twice.
Oliver Burgess Meredith
He was born on November 16, 1907.
On September 9, 1997, Burgess Meredith died at the age of 89 from complications of Alzheimer’s disease and melanoma in Malibu, California, United States.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Burgess Meredith studied at Hoosac School and graduated in 1926. Afterward, he attended Amherst College (class of 1931). However, he later dropped out of Amherst College.
Actor, Writer, Producer, Voice Actor
- Father – Dr. William George Meredith (Physician)
- Mother – Ida Beth (née Burgess)
- Others – William Grafton Meredith (Paternal Grandfather), Diantha Jane Pettet (Paternal Grandmother), Oliver Clinthus Burgess (Maternal Grandfather), Caroline Matilda Cogswell (Maternal Grandmother)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $3 Million.
5 ft 5½ in or 166.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Burgess Meredith had dated –
- Lauren Bacall
- Norma Shearer
- Olivia de Havilland
- Peggy Ashcroft
- Tallulah Bankhead
- Helen Derby (1933-1935) – He was married to Helen Derby Merrien Burgess (the daughter of American Cyanamid president Harry L. Derby) from 1933 to 1935. She committed suicide in 1940, nearly 5 years after their divorce.
- Margaret Perry (1936-1938) – He married Margaret Perry in 1936 and they divorced in 1938.
- Rosalind Russell (1939)
- Ingrid Bergman (1940)
- Carole Landis (1941-1942)
- Hedy Lamarr (1943)
- Paulette Goddard (1944-1949) – He married actor, dancer, model, and producer Paulette Goddard in May 1944 at David O. Selznick’s home in Beverly Hills. She suffered the miscarriage of their son in October 1944. They co-starred in the 1948 comedy film On Our Merry Way. The duo divorced in June 1949.
- Marlene Dietrich (1948)
- Gussie Moran (1949)
- Kaja Sundsten (1950-1997) – In 1950, he married Kaja Sundsten and they were blessed with 2 children – Jonathan (a musician) and Tala (a painter). Burgess Meredith and Kaja remained together until his death in 1997.
- Nichelle Nichols (1961)
Race / Ethnicity
Burgess Meredith was of English, Welsh, and German descent.
- Raspy voice
- Frequently worked with director Otto Preminger
Burgess Meredith was cast in TV commercials for –
- US Cheese Board (1985)
- Drixoral (1986)
- Florida Orange Juice (1988-1990)
- Sargento Cheese of Wisconsin (1991)
- Mercy Health Centers (1996)
He was also cast in a radio commercial for Carnation Hot Cocoa in 1996.
He was a Methodist.
Burgess Meredith Facts
- He enlisted in the United States Army Air Forces during World War II in 1942 and reached the rank of captain.
- For his performance in Rocky (1976), Burgess Meredith was nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- On November 5, 1987, he was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6904 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- It was revealed in his 1994 autobiography So Far, So Good that he had violent mood swings caused by cyclothymia, a form of bipolar disorder.
- Burgess Meredith was a lifelong Democrat.
- He was friends with Otto Preminger and Adam West.
Featured Image by BBDO (Batten, Barton, Durstine & Osborne) for General Electric / eBay / Public Domain
He was around 66 kg in reality.
I was stated that he was around 68 kg.