|Chad Smith Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||October 25, 1961|
Chad Smith is an American musician. He is best known for being a member of the famous punk rock band, Red Hot Chili Peppers. Some of his best-known works, along with the band, include albums like Californication (1999), By the Way (2002), Out in L.A. (1994), Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991), and Stadium Arcadium (2006).
Chad Gaylord Smith
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Chad attended the Lahser High School and graduated in 1980.
- Father – Curtis Madison Smith
- Mother – Joan Gaylord (Mooney)
- Siblings – Bradley Smith (Older Brother), Pamela Smith (Older Sister)
- Others – Francis /Frank Joseph Mooney (Maternal Grandfather), Helen Gaylord (Maternal Grandmother)
Chad is represented by Q-Prime Management.
Funk Rock, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock, Funk Metal, Heavy Metal, Experimental Rock, Jazz-Funk, Comedy
Warner Bros. Records, Capitol Records, EMI Records (Defunct)
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
83 kg or 183 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Chad has dated –
- Maria St John (1996–1997) – Chad was married to Maria St John for a year and the couple has a daughter named Manon (born 1996). They separated in 1997.
- Tricia Cardozo (2000) – It was reported that Chad dated Tricia Cardozo in 2000.
- Nancy Mack (2004-Present) – In 2004, Chad married an architect named Nancy Mack and they are proud parents to 3 sons – Cole Smith (born 2005), Beckett Smith (born 2009), and Dashiell (born 2012).
Note – Chad also fathers 2 other children, Justin (born 1997) and Ava (born 2000), from his other relationships.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, Irish, and German roots.
Salt & Pepper
Always wears a cap
Chad has not done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Best Known For
Being a member of the famous punk rock band, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Chad released his debut studio album, Mother’s Milk, as a member of Red Hot Chili Peppers on August 16, 1989.
He made his theatrical film debut in the romantic drama, Song to Song, in 2017.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut as himself in the music series, Top of the Pops, in 1996.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut in the animated series, The Simpsons, in 1993.
Chad Smith Favorite Things
- Band Influences – Rush, The Rolling Stones, Humble Pie, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, The Who, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Kiss
- Drummers – Ian Paice, Mitch Mitchell, Bill Ward, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Stewart Copeland, Neil Peart, Buddy Rich, Bill Ward, Stewart Copeland, Ginger Baker, Roger Taylor, Topper Headon
Source – Wikipedia
Chad Smith Facts
- Chad started playing drums when he was 7.
- At the age of 15, he fled from his home and came back after spending a summer away.
- He did not receive any formal drum lessons and derived his experience from playing for different school bands including the one called Paradise.
- In 1977, his band, Paradise, won a battle of the bands in Birmingham.
- After Paradise, he joined other bands including Pharroh and a Michigan-based band named Toby Redd.
- He was introduced to R&B and funk music by Pharroh‘s percussionist Larry Fratangelo, who also taught him to play funk.
- In one of his interviews, he has stated that earlier he was just a drummer but after meeting Larry, he became a musician.
- Soon after moving to California to pursue his musical dreams, he heard about Red Hot Chili Peppers‘ open auditions for the drummer in 1988. He auditioned for the band but initially, they thought that his looks resembled more to a metal drummer than a punk one.
- Soon after the audition, he was hired by the band based on his performance which impressed everyone.
- Chad officially joined Red Hot Chili Peppers in December 1988.
- In 2007, Chad joined hands with guitarist Jeff Kollman and keyboardist Ed Roth to form an all-instrumental band. The inspiration for the band was derived from their shared love for 1970s funk and fusion.
- In 2008, Red Hot Chili Peppers decided to take a break from their busy schedule and Chad decided to join the hard rock supergroup, Chickenfoot, which also included Sammy Hagar, Joe Sat, and Michael Anthony.
- Chad is considered as one of the top session musicians in the music industry and has worked with the likes of Johnny Cash, John Fogerty, Dixie Chicks, Jennifer Nettles, Kid Rock, Jake Bugg, Glenn Hughes, and many others.
- He served as the judge at the 7th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists’ careers in 2008.
- In 2010, he released a children’s album, titled Rhythm Train, which was critically acclaimed and MTV named it as one of the best children’s records of all time.
- In March 2012, he launched a mobile app called The Chad Smith Drum App in which the GPS section spotlights the drummers he has been inspired by and others that he thinks are some of today’s best drummers.
- As a drummer, he is known for his ghost notes, his beats, and his fast right foot.
- Regarding his personal life, he once stated in an interview that he falls in love easily but then gets restless. He has referred to himself as a ‘dumper’.
- Chad is also an avid follower of his state sports teams and during one of the Chilli Peppers‘ performances in Columbus, OH on May 14, 2017, he sang the University of Michigan fight song “The Victors” which made it to the national news as the University of Michigan and Ohio State are longtime sports rivals.
- He is also a philanthropist and has supported a number of charitable organizations such as Surfer’s Healing, SeriousFun Network, MusiCares, Silverlake Conservatory of Music, Guitar Mash NY, Camp Korey, and Little Kids Rock.
- He has also spoken against bullying in schools by joining the group called Bystander Revolution.
- On May 16, 2015, he was presented with the ‘Livin’ The Dream Award’ by national nonprofit charity, Little Kids Rock, at its annual Family Jam benefit for his work to help expand public school children’s access to music education.
- In an interview, he talked about the importance of Music as a school subject by saying that when he was a child, Music was the only subject that excited him to go to school.
- In April 2013, Chad was chosen by the National Association of Music Merchants to represent the music community and go to Washington, D.C. to urge support for music education in U.S. public schools.
- On May 15, 2015, Smith made an appearance at Sammy Hagar and James Hetfield‘s 2nd annual Acoustic-4-A-Cure benefit concert in San Francisco, California.
- He is often confused for actor Will Ferrell who is almost 6 years junior to him.
- Follow Chad Smith on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Admom71 / Photographer of record / CC BY-SA 3.0