|Glynn Turman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1947|
Glynn Turman is an American actor, stage artist, voiceover artist, writer, director, and producer who is known for his on-screen roles like Lew Miles in Peyton Place, Jeremiah Kaan in House of Lies, Doctor Senator in Fargo, Mayor Clarence V. Royce in The Wire, Nate Lahey Sr. in How to Get Away with Murder, Colonel Bradford Taylor in A Different World, Dr. Shakespeare in How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Detective Appleton in John Dies at the End, Preach in Cooley High, and Judge Bob Owens in The Defenders.
Glynn Russell Turman
New York City, New York, United States
Glynn Turman attended the High School of Performing Arts located in the Manhattan section of New York and graduated in 1965.
Actor, Stage Artist, Voiceover Artist, Writer, Director, Producer
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Glynn Turman has dated –
- Ula M. Walker (1965-1971) – He was married to Ula M. Walker from 1965 to 1971 and they parent 3 children.
- Aretha Franklin (1977-1984) – In April 1977, he started going out with singer, songwriter, actress, pianist, and civil rights activist, Aretha Franklin, and they eventually tied the knot on April 11, 1978, at her father’s New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit, Michigan. However, the duo separated in 1982 and later divorced in 1984. A few days before her death in 2018, Glynn Turman visited her.
- Jo-Ann Allen (1992-Present) – He got married to Jo-An Allen in 1992 and they have been together ever since.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Nigerian descent on his mother’s side.
Due to advancing age, his hair has turned gray.
- Often wears a hat
Glynn Turman Facts
- Alongside his wife Jo-Ann Allen, he has co-founded Camp Gid D Up, a Los Angeles-based non-profit organization for underprivileged children.
- He originated the role of Travis Younger in Lorraine Hansberry’s play, A Raisin in the Sun.
- It was Turman who was originally cast as Han Solo in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (1977). However, the role was later played by Harrison Ford.
- Glynn Turman was cast in the recurring role of Mayor Clarence V. Royce in the crime drama television series, The Wire, from 2004 to 2008 and this role got him nominated for an NAACP Image Award nomination for “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series”.
- In 2011, he was inducted into the National Multicultural Western Heritage Museum Hall of Fame.
- He appeared as General Whalen, Burns’s superior at Sector 7, in the 2018 science fiction action film, Bumblebee.
- Alongside Viola Davis, Chadwick Boseman, Colman Domingo, and Michael Potts, Glynn Turman co-starred as Toledo, pianist in Ma’s band, in the 2020 drama film, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.
Featured Image by Lisa Fulton / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0