|Christopher Nolan Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11¼ in|
|Date of Birth||July 30, 1970|
Christopher Nolan is an English director, producer, and screenwriter best known for his films Inception, The Dark Knight (Trilogy), and Interstellar. The director is considered one of the top and greatest minds of Hollywood and is often appreciated for his unique style of portraying different scripts and various creative ways on the big screen. Nolan is also the co-founder of the production company named Syncopy Inc., along with his wife, who has been the co-producer of all of his films.
Christopher Edward Nolan
Westminster, London, England, United Kingdom
Los Angeles, California, United States
Chris attended Haileybury and Imperial Service College, in Hertford Heath, Hertfordshire. He then got enrolled at University College London (UCL) to pursue a course in English literature.
Director, Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – Brendan James Nolan (Advertising Executive)
- Mother – Christina Nolan (Flight Attendant, English Teacher)
- Siblings – Matthew Francis Nolan (Older Brother), Jonathan “Jonah” Nolan (Younger Brother) (Screenwriter, Television Producer, Director, Author)
He is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor, Agent, California, U.S.
- Law Firm, Savitsky, Satin & Bacon, California, U.S.
5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Christopher Nolan has dated –
- Emma Thomas (1989-Present) – Christopher met Emma at the University College of London when he was 19 years old, Emma being a year junior. They got married in 1997 and have 4 children, namely, Magnus Nolan, Rory Nolan, Flora Nolan, and Oliver Nolan. The couple founded a production company, Syncopy Films Inc., and Emma has worked on all of Nolan’s films as a producer.
Race / Ethnicity
- Thin lips
- Pointed nose
He is non-religious.
Best Known For
Directing the films like Inception, The Dark Knight (Trilogy), Interstellar, and The Prestige
Christopher Nolan made his theatrical directorial movie debut in the neo-noir crime thriller Following in 1998.
First TV Show
Christopher Nolan made his first TV show appearance on the series Anatomy of a Scene in 2001.
Christopher Nolan Favorite Things
- James Bond Movie – On Her Majesty’s Secret Service
- Artist – Francis Bacon
- Films – Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Spy Who Loved Me, The Thin Red Line, Superman (1978)
- Beverage – Tea
Source – Screen Rant
Christopher Nolan Facts
- Christopher Nolan started filming movies ever since he was 7 years old, with the help of his father’s Super 8 camera.
- Before finally directing his debut movie, he worked in the editing department and has also worked as a camera operator and sound recorder.
- The budget of Nolan’s directorial debut, Following, was merely £3,000 and the rest of the money was raised through funding campaigns organized by his then-girlfriend, Emma Thomas.
- The film, Following, took 1 year to be completed as almost the entire cast of the film had full-time jobs so they only got time to shoot during the weekends. Also, the scenes were rehearsed for a long time so that just the 1st or the 2nd take could be taken as the final shot to save the budget.
- The main location for Following was Nolan’s parents’ house where they also filmed a burglary scene. Coincidently, an actual burglary took place in the house and all the items which were stolen in the fictional burglary were stolen in real as well.
- The film Inception, which is considered one of his outstanding directions, was written by him over a period of 10 years.
- Christopher Nolan is the first film director to direct 3 Batman movies.
- The 2014 film, Interstellar, was suggested to Nolan by Steven Spielberg in 2012, who was supposed to direct it in 2006 but rather chose to take other projects.
- As of 2017, 7 out of the top 10 movies listed in IMDb’s Top Rated 250 Movies list were directed by him.
- In 2012, he was ranked #14 on ‘The 23 Best Film Directors in the World Today’ list by The Guardian whereas Entertainment Weekly listed him as the ’12th Greatest Working Director’ in 2013.
- In 2015, Nolan was featured in Time magazine’s ‘100 Most Influential People’ in the World.
- Starting his career with ultra low budget movies, Christopher Nolan became the highest paid director in Hollywood in 2016 for the movie Dunkirk, getting paid $20 million plus 20 percent of the gross collection of the movie.
- Though his style of direction is exceptional, Nolan never went to any film school. Instead, he went to the University College of London for its filmmaking facilities.
- If there is one thing without which he is never seen, it has to be the flask of Earl Green Tea that Nolan carries with him every day to the film set. He drinks tea all day long as it keeps him focused.
- Nolan has 2 outfits that he wears for work, one for cold weather and another one for a warmer day, the reason being the wastage of time and energy in choosing a new outfit every day. Also, he just needs a coat that can fit his tea flask.
- He is red and green color blind and is left-handed.
- Nolan has dual citizenships both of England and America. His mandatory U.S. citizenship (not nationality) was legitimized in 2002.
- He is also very practical about the use of the internet and mobile phones and feels that he is much focused without these modern day luxuries. He doesn’t have any social media accounts or even an email. The director also does not have a mobile phone. He simply borrows it from his crew members if he has to make calls.
Featured Image by Richard Goldschmidt / piqtured.com / CC BY 3.0