Tom, Conchita Wurst, Bearded Lady
He studied fashion design at a fashion school in Graz, Austria and completed his education in 2011.
Singer, Drag Queen, Designer, Model, Activist
- Father – Siegfried Neuwirth (Hotelier)
- Mother – Helga Neuwirth (Hotelier)
- Siblings – Andi (Older Brother)
- Others – Maria Neuwirth (Grandmother)
René Berto, The Unstoppables GmbH
Pop, Electronic, Baroque Pop
Sony Music Austria
Boyfriend / Spouse
Conchita has dated –
- Jacques Patriaque (2010–Present) – Tom Neuwirth fiercely protects his private life and not much information is available about his real self. As far as Conchita’s character goes, she was born in highlands of Colombia to a father named Alfred Knack who works as a theater director. In continuation of the fictional biography, Conchita is happily married to Frenchman Jacques Patriaque since 2010. In real life, Jacques is merely a close friend of Tom. An international boylesque (male burlesque dancer) artist, Jacques has a boyfriend of more than 14 years named, Phillipe. The expansive married life of Jacques and Conchita as a couple created through the media with glamorous photo shoots and candid pictures on the Internet often confuse people between Tom’s reality and Conchita’s virtual life.
Race / Ethnicity
Possibly has a German, Italian and Czech lineage.
Natural Hair – Dark Brown / Black
Owns several black-haired wigs to dress up as Conchita.
He is not a transgender, just a regular gay guy who dresses up as a woman with a beard, for work.
- Dresses up as a drag queen with a beard.
- Extremely thin physical frame, underweight for an average male.
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 35 in or 89 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 12 in or 30.5 cm
- Waist – 26 in or 66 cm
- Hips – 34 in or 86 cm
2 (US) or 6 (UK) or 32 (EU)
7.5 (US) or 5 (UK) or 38 (EU)
- Conchita’s biggest ad campaign was for the Bank of Austria. Tom’s pictures in his drag queen avatar were widely used in print ads, TV, Internet and hoardings all over the country.
- He was labeled as a muse for the international promotional campaign of Parrot Zik 2.0 headphones launched in Australia, France, US, UK, Germany, and Japan.
- Walked the runway for Jean-Paul Gaultier in Paris Fashion Week 2014.
- In August 2014, Conchita did a print shoot for Karl Lagerfeld showcasing Givenchy apparel in the fashion editorial titled, The New Normal.
Best Known For
Winning Eurovision, 2014: A highly competitive European singing contest which is the longest running International competition in its league, organized since 1956. Tom as Conchita was the second Austrian to bring home the winner’s trophy since 1966.
In May 2015, Tom released his first album Conchita via Sony Music Austria. It went on to reach #1 on Austria’s Top 40 charts.
He has not yet appeared in a theatrical film.
First TV Show
Tom’s first appearance on TV was on the Austrian talent show Starmania aired on Austrian channel, ORF 1. He participated as himself and had not yet taken up the identity of Conchita. He reached the finals and came second.
Details about Tom’s or Conchita’s diet and training are not available.
Conchita Wurst Favorite Things
- Color – Dark Green
- Artist – Laura Mvula, Jessie Ware, Troye Sivan
- Song – Green Garden (2013)
- Lady Gaga Song – Teeth (2009)
- Eurovision Winner – Celine Dion, Loreen
- Fashion Role Model – Victoria Beckham
- Perfume – Tom Ford
Conchita Wurst Facts
- Growing up, Conchita claims that Tom was an annoyingly good student who was punctual and always did his homework. He also never missed the opportunity to get on stage and perform.
- Conchita grew up in Mitterndorf village which has now flourished into a town called Bad Mitterndorf situated in the heart of Styrian countryside, Southern Austria, which is world famous for winter sports.
- Tom’s former school teacher, Kurt Winter revealed that he decorated his school desk according to the season and month of the year with flowers and an alarm clock and carried a table cloth to use during lunch time.
- Tom wore a skirt to school a few times and had to face a lot of bullying and abuse from other classmates. As a result, he confined himself to cross-dressing in the comfort of his home.
- He once ruined his mother’s wedding dress by rolling in the grass while wearing it.
- His parents and paternal grandmother were never hard on him for being ‘different.’
- Tom came out of the closet to publicly disclose he was gay, right before his 18th birthday.
- After Starmania, Tom put together a band called Jetzt Anders that performed for Paris Hilton at her birthday party celebration in an Austrian resort. The members of the band separated after 8 months.
- Thereafter, Tom started working as a burlesque dancer in Vienna.
- One fine day, Tom was doing his makeup for work without shaving off his beard. He liked what he saw in the mirror and was inspired to create the unique persona of Conchita.
- In 2011, Tom participated in a talent show called Die große Chance as Conchita for the first time. That was also where he met his agent/manager, René Berto who drew him a five-year career plan that he successfully converted into reality.
- In 2012, Tom participated in the Austrian National Final to represent Austria in Eurovision. He did not qualify because he was placed second.
- In 2013, he participated in two German reality shows aired on ORF as Conchita, namely, The Hardest Jobs of Austria in which he had to work in a fish processing plant and Wild Girls in which all the contestants had to survive in a Namibian desert in the company of the local tribes.
- Tom’s fleeting though frequent appearances on TV convinced the ORF network of his unique appeal and his agent successfully convinced the network to declare him the Austrian contender for Eurovision 2014.
- After Conchita’s success in Eurovision, his agent, René dropped representation of another client, Austrian stand-up comedian, Alf Poier because he made homophobic remarks about Conchita.
- Even though no cash prize is offered for winning Eurovision, London-based publication, Daily Mail estimated Conchita to have made at least £25 million pounds post-victory.
- Google revealed that Conchita Wurst was at 7th rank in their 2014 global list of most searched subjects which made her less popular than Ebola and Malaysian Airlines tragedy but more popular than ISIS and Sochi Winter Olympics.
- Tom also performed as Conchita at the United Nations Office in Vienna for the UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-Moon.
- In an interview with Reuters, Tom explained that his beard is a statement to convey that anything can be achieved irrespective of appearance.
- Sir Elton John and his partner David sent Conchita a bouquet to congratulate her for her Eurovision victory.
- Conchita means v*gina in Spanish and Wurst means p*nis in German. Though amused by the literal meaning of his adopted name, Tom reveals that he picked the word Conchita when a Cuban friend suggested it as a translation of sexy latina and on a thematic level, he was first inspired to use Wurst from the phrase Das ist mir doch alles Wurst which means ‘it is the same to me’ or ‘I could not care less’ or ‘makes no difference.’
- Tom is extremely afraid of heights and would never want to try bungee jumping, sky diving or even go up the Sydney Harbor Bridge despite being a regular visitor to Australia.
- He has three tattoos on his body. The one on his left arm has the first alphabet of the names of his father, mother, and brother conjoined to make a unique symbol with a mirror image. He has a mermaid on his right arm and the portrait of his mother on his upper back.
- Tom gave his voice to the animated character of Owl during the German language dubbing of Penguins of Madagascar (2014).
- People often express disgust for Conchita’s gender ambiguous appearance and recommend that Tom should choose to be either a man or a woman. Tom repeatedly justifies himself as a man who takes the stage name of Conchita for work and shows no interest in getting a sex-change to become a woman.
- In 2015, Tom’s autobiography was published by John Blake Publishing titled, I, Conchita: My Story. We Are Unstoppable and released in German, French, and English.
- Conchita’s images were part of an exhibit at The Museum of Modern Art in Manhattan, NYC. The pictures were presented by stock photography agency called, DIS.
- Marco Schreuder, the only gay member of Austrian parliament often acts as Conchita’s political adviser and briefs her about current global issues before she has to make an appearance at a politically charged International event.
- In February 2017 during an interview with a German publication, Tom considered killing off his public personality of Conchita which put all his gay fans on edge. Later he justified, he would like to evolve in the long term to showcase more of his real self and hopes to outgrow Conchita with time rather than radically giving up on playing the female persona.
- Conchita was declared one of the ambassadors for Europride 2016 to perform in the Amsterdam Gay Pride that organized more than 200 events, parties and activities for the LGBTQ community over a span of two weeks.
- Visit Conchita’s official website @ conchitawurst.com.
- Follow Tom as Conchita on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.