|Constance Shulman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||April 4, 1958|
Constance Shulman is an American actress, singer, and producer. She is best known for her roles as Erica “Yoga” Jones in the TV series Orange Is the New Black (2013-2017, 2019). Alongside her co-stars, Constance received a Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series” in 2015.
Constance Ann Shulman
Johnson City, Tennessee, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Constance graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1980 with a Bachelor’s degree in Speech and Theatre. After graduating, she studied acting at the Circle in the Square Theatre School in New York City, New York, United States.
Actress, Producer, Singer
- Father – He used to own a cardboard business.
- Mother – She used to own a cardboard business.
- Siblings – John Shulman (Former Men’s Basketball Coach at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga)
Constance Shulman is represented by TalentWorks (Talent Agent) in Burbank, California, United States, and New York City, New York, United States.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Constance Shulman has dated –
- Reed Birney (1999-Present) – She married a fellow actor Reed Birney on July 3, 1999. They have 2 children – son Ephraim Birney (b. August 7, 1996), and daughter Gus Birney (b. July 27, 1999), both of whom are also actors.
Race / Ethnicity
- Sunken eyes
She appeared in the TV commercials for Kraft mayonnaise for 4 years in the early 1990s.
Constance Shulman Facts
- Her parents hailed from New England. They moved their business from Fall River, Massachusetts to Tennessee before Constance was born.
- She was born to a Jewish family but grew up in the Bible Belt surrounded by Southern Baptists.
- Her breakout role was in the theater, playing Annelle in the off-Broadway cast of the play Steel Magnolias starting in 1987. She started casting agents used to tell her “You’re terrific. But you’re odd. We don’t know what to do with you.” before she landed the role.
- When she moved to New York, casting agents kept suggesting she change her accent and diction. She consciously chose to have fewer roles by sticking to her Southern accent.
- Her debut and best-known voice acting role was playing the character named Patti Mayonnaise in the animated Nickelodeon and Disney TV series Doug between 1991 and 1999.
- She revealed that the Doug creator saw one of her Kraft commercials and asked her to audition for Patti. It was also a pure coincidence that she was cast as Patti Mayonnaise and was spotted in a mayonnaise commercial.
- Constance was cast alongside Dolly Parton in the TV series Heavens to Betsy (1994), but the pilot never aired. The series premiered in the form of a movie of the week, titled Unlikely Angel (1996), but without Constance.
- Constance quit her acting career in the late 1990s to raise her children. She temporarily came back in 2008 for the movie A Jersey Christmas as Connie before making a full comeback in 2013 for Orange Is the New Black as “Yoga” Jones.
- Her co-stars in Orange Is the New Black were Taylor Schilling, Kate Mulgrew, Uzo Aduba, Jessica Pimentel, Catherine Curtin, Laverne Cox, Daniella De Jesús, Joel Marsh Garland, Kimiko Glenn, Lin Tucci, Annie Golden, Julie Lake, Samira Wiley, and Emma Myles.
- She is not a huge fan of yoga in real life, but has taken a yoga class or two, and knows people who did.
- As of May 2020, Constance has written her debut novel but has yet to publish it.
- She is an avid watcher of the reality-TV series Project Runway.
- Hailing from Tennessee and being known for her Southern accent, Constance has often heard that Southern women are very fragile. In her opinion, it’s the opposite – they are opinionated, tough, direct, and strong.
Featured Image by DailyBeacon / YouTube