|Damien Chazelle Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 19, 1985|
Damien Chazelle is a producer, writer, and an Oscar-winning director. He directed the 2016 sensation musical film, La La Land, that won 14 Oscar nominations at the 87th Oscar Awards (2017). He is also known of his other films including Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench, The Last Exorcism Part II, Grand Piano, Whiplash, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and First Man. His unique trademark is incorporating jazz music in his films.
Damien Sayre Chazelle
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
When Damien Chazelle was young, his parents put him in a Hebrew school for 4 years due to a lack of satisfactory schools near their home. Later, he joined Princeton High School, New Jersey. In 2007, he graduated from Harvard University‘s department of Visual and Environmental Studies after learning Filmmaking.
Director, Film Producer, Screenwriter
- Father – Bernard Chazelle (Eugene Higgins Professor of Computer Science at Princeton University)
- Mother – Celia Sayre Chazelle (Teacher of Medieval History at The College of New Jersey, Writer)
- Siblings – Anna Chazelle (Sister) (Actress, Circus Performer)
- Others – John Sayre Martin, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather) (Professor of English), Constance Stephenson (Maternal Grandmother), John Sayre Martin (Maternal Great Grandfather) (Worked for Paramount Pictures in London), Eileen Earle (Maternal Great Grandmother) (Stage Actress)
Damien Chazelle is managed by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
70 kg or 154 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Damien Chazelle has dated –
- Jasmine McGlade – In 2010, Damien married producer Jasmine McGlade. They met while studying at Harvard University. She produced his first feature film, Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009). But, they divorced in 2014.
- Olivia Hamilton – Damien has been in a relationship with actress Olivia Hamilton, who is also a Princeton University graduate and former McKinsey & Company consultant. The couple has been dating for a while. They secretly eloped and got married in December 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
He has French ancestry on his father’s side and is of English, Scottish, and distant Dutch descent on his mother’s side.
- Curly hair
- Lean figure
He was raised a Catholic.
Best Known For
- His Oscar-winning musical film, La La Land (2016), which was written and directed by him and starred Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. The film received 14 nominations at the 87th Oscar Awards (Academy Awards) (2017) and won a total of 6 awards. Damien Chazelle received his first Oscar for “Best Director” in 2017. He has received many other prestigious awards for La La Land (2016) including Golden Globe Award (2017) for “Best Director” and “Best Screenplay” and BAFTA Award for “Best Director”.
- Other prominent work like Whiplash (2014), which also received Oscar nominations for “Best Picture” and “Best Adapted Screenplay” in 2015
In 2009, he made his theatrical film debut as Drumming Instructor in his own musical drama film, Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench. However, he remained uncredited for his appearance.
First TV Show
In 2014, he made his first TV show appearance by guest starring in the talk show, [email protected].
Damien Chazelle Favorite Things
- Film – The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
- Soundtrack Song – “As Time Goes By” from Casablanca (1942)
- Movie Scene – “Cheek to Cheek” dance number with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in the movie, Top Hat (1935)
- Dialog – “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown,” Joe Mantell to Jack Nicholson in Chinatown (1974)
- Movie Ending – Charles Chaplin’s City Lights (1931)
Source – IMDb
Damien Chazelle Facts
- His fascination for jazz music has transpired through his father who loved the genre.
- Jazz music and perpetually ambitious protagonists often characterize his films.
- At 32, he became the youngest recipient for the “Best Director” Oscar Award on February 26, 2017, for the musical film, La La Land (2016).
- He is also the youngest person to win the Golden Globe Award (2017) for “Best Director”.
- His Oscar win also made him the only non-Mexican “Best Director” winner between 2013 and 2017. It also made him the only American to win the “Best Director” Oscar Award between 2010-2017.
- The first film he ever saw was Disney’s Cinderella (1950).
- Damien likes to relax by reading, watching movies, listening to music or going for a walk in the city.
- One of his positive characteristics is that he is a terrible procrastinator.
- As a writer, he has worked on films including La La Land (2016), 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), Whiplash (2014), Grand Piano (2013), The Last Exorcism Part II (2013), and Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009).
- He has worked as a producer for films like First Man (2018), Surrogate (2016), Maria My Love (2011), and Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench (2009).
- He has also supported the American Civil Liberties Union in their charity works.
- Follow Damien Chazelle on Twitter.
Featured Image by Lionsgate Entertainment / CC BY-SA 4.0