|Daniel Gillies Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||March 14, 1976|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Daniel Gillies is a Canadian-born New Zealander actor, film producer, director, screenwriter, and voice actor who is best known for playing Elijah Mikaelson in the American supernatural teen drama television series The Vampire Diaries and its spin-off The Originals. He is also known for having been cast as Dr. Joel Goran in the Canadian supernatural medical drama series Saving Hope, Mark in the Netflix romantic drama series Virgin River, Tim O’Connor in the drama Street Legal, and Jack Miller in the anthology series Masters of Horror. Moreover, Daniel Gillies has appeared in movies such as Bride and Prejudice, Captivity, A Soldier’s Sweetheart, Coming Home in the Dark, The Sensation of Sight, Various Positions, Spider-Man 2, Uncross the Stars, Matters of Life and Death, and Occupation: Rainfall.
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Canadian, New Zealander
Daniel Gillies went to the prestigious Hamilton Boys’ High School.
To hone his acting skills, he went to the Unitec School of Performing Arts.
Actor, Screenwriter, Director, Producer, Voice Actor
- Father – Is a pediatrician
- Mother – Is a nurse
- Others – Sir Harold Gillies (Great Great Great Grandfather) (Plastic Surgery Pioneer)
Daniel Gillies has been represented by –
- LINK Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Agency for the Performing Arts, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $3 Million.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
75 kg or 165 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Daniel Gillies has dated –
- Rachael Leigh Cook (2003-2019) – Daniel started dating actress Rachael Leigh Cook in 2003. Eventually, they got married in August 2004 in a low-key ceremony. They had been dating for less than a year. In 2013, she gave birth to a daughter, Charlotte Easton Gillies. In 2014, they revealed that they were expecting another child. The second pregnancy was a big surprise for them. In April 2015, she gave birth to her son Theodore Vigo Sullivan Gillies in Los Angeles hospital. But, the relationship ended after more than a decade in June 2019 as they revealed their separation publicly. They filed for divorce in 2020 and their divorce was finalized in 2021.
- Julia Misaki (2021-Present) – In February 2021, Daniel introduced his new girlfriend model Julia Misaki to his fans via Instagram Story. Julia is a mix of Japanese, French, and Czech ancestry.
Race / Ethnicity
- Strong jawline
- Light stubble beard
Before he became a successful actor, Daniel Gillies appeared in a TV commercial for Lotto Instant Kiwi.
Best Known For
- Playing the role of Elijah Mikaelson on the teen drama series, The Vampire Diaries
- Being cast as Dr. Joel Goran in the Canadian medical series, Saving Hope in 2012
In 1998, Daniel made his first film appearance in a minor role in the drama war movie, A Soldier’s Sweetheart.
First TV Show
In 1999, Daniel appeared in a single episode of the action-adventure series Young Hercules for his role as Antos.
Daniel Gillies regularly hits the gym to keep his shredded physique in tip-top shape by doing high-intensity lifting exercises, interval training cardio, and solid core work.
Daniel Gillies Favorite Things
- Vacation Destinations – Tahiti and Moorea
- Untapped Vacation Destination – Montreal
- Fantasy Trip Destination – Sardinia, Naples, or anywhere in coastal Italy
- Countries for Food – Italy, Japan
- Weekend Getaways – Montreal, New York City
- Cities – Barcelona, Tokyo, Bangkok, New York City
Source – ChicagoTribune.com
Daniel Gillies Facts
- Before he moved to Los Angeles for better acting opportunities, he did a couple of miscellaneous jobs, including working as a dishwasher and waiter in Canada, where he had stayed for two months.
- When he was just 5 years old, his family moved back to native New Zealand from Canada.
- Due to a lack of opportunities in New Zealand, he moved to Australia where he stayed for a mere 6 weeks before moving to Canada.
- He wasn’t slated to play a big role in The Vampire Diaries but after the audience response, the producers decided to expand his role. He was killed in the first episode of the TV series.
- While shooting for the Broken Kingdom, which was also his debut as a producer and director, he faced dire financial problems. They ran out of money about four times while shooting.
- In 2019, he started playing the recurring role of Mark Monroe, Mel’s late husband, in the American romantic drama series, Virgin River, based on the Virgin River novels by Robyn Carr.
- Alongside Dan Ewing, Temuera Morrison, and others, he co-starred as Wing Commander Hayes in the Australian science fiction action film, Occupation: Rainfall, in 2020.
- He co-starred as Mandrake in the 2021 thriller film titled Coming Home in the Dark.