|Emma Raducanu Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 13, 2002|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Emma Raducanu is a British professional tennis player who had first come into the spotlight in July 2021 when she had reached the 4th round at the Wimbledon Championships. What had made her achievement astounding was the fact that this was her debut in the main draw of a Grand Slam tournament and she was only ranked a lowly 338 in the world in the official WTA (Women’s Tennis Association) singles rankings at that time. Later in the year, she had turned heads when she had won the US Open, becoming the first qualifier in the Open Era, male or female, to reach the singles final of a Grand Slam tournament. Incredibly, on her way to the final, she had not dropped a set in any of the 3 qualifying matches and any of the 6 main draw matches (round 1, round 2, round 3, round of 16, quarter-final, and semi-final). In the final, she had again won in straight sets, overcoming fellow teenage sensation Leylah Annie Fernandez by a score of 6-4, 6-3. This was the first all-teenage women’s singles final since the 1999 US Open final that was played between Serena Williams and Martina Hingis.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bromley, London, England, United Kingdom
Emma had attended the Newstead Wood School, a selective girls’ grammar school in Orpington, Greater London. In the summer of 2021, she had completed her A-level exams in mathematics and English. She had obtained an A* in mathematics and an A in economics in her A-Levels.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Ian Raducanu (Finance Executive)
- Mother – Renee Raducanu (Finance Executive)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Asian)
She is of Romanian descent on her father’s side and Chinese descent on her mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, shoulder-length, straight hair
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
Emma has been sponsored by –
- Wilson Sporting Goods Company
- Nike, Inc.
Emma Raducanu Favorite Things
- Tennis Shot – Forehand
- Tennis Surface – Hard
- Sports – Tennis, Golf, Skiing, Basketball,
- Tennis Idols/Role Models – Simona Halep, Li Na
- Hobbies/Interests – Go-Karting, Horseriding, Tap Dancing
Emma Raducanu Facts
- Born in Toronto, Canada, to a Romanian father and a Chinese mother, Emma and her family had moved to England when she was 2 years old. She had started playing tennis at the age of 5. During her childhood, she used to participate in multiple sports including golf, karting, and motocross.
- The original spelling of her family name in Romanian is Răducanu.
- At the 2021 Wimbledon Championships, she had become the youngest British woman to reach the tournament’s 3rd round since Elena Baltacha in 2002. After winning her 3rd round match, she had become, at 18 years and 239 days old, the youngest British woman to reach the 4th round of a Grand Slam tournament in the Open Era.
- This had helped her break into the ‘Top 185’ of the WTA singles rankings, having started the tournament ranked 338 in the world. She was forced to retire in the 2nd set of her fourth-round match due to breathing difficulty.
- At the 2021 US Open, she had become the first British woman in 53 years to reach the tournament’s final after Virginia Wade had won the US Open in 1968. Her fairytale run to the final had helped her break into the ‘Top 25’ of the WTA singles rankings for the first time in her career, having started the tournament ranked 150 in the world.
- She went on to win the final of the 2021 US Open, becoming the first British woman to win a singles title at a Grand Slam tournament since Virginia Wade’s triumph at the 1977 Wimbledon Championships. She also became the first qualifier to win a Grand Slam tournament, and the first woman in the Open Era to win a Grand Slam tournament within only 2 appearances at such events (her only Grand Slam tournament entry before this was the 2021 Wimbledon Championships). She also received a congratulatory note from Kate Middleton after winning the tournament.
Featured Image by Emma Raducanu / Instagram