|Fairuza Balk Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||May 21, 1974|
Fairuza Balk is an American actress and musician who had come into the spotlight with the release of the 1985 dark fantasy film Return to Oz where she had played, as a child artist, the lead role of Dorothy Gale. In the ensuing years, she had worked in numerous films including Valmont (1989), Gas Food Lodging (1992), The Craft (1996), American History X (1998), Almost Famous (2000), and Don’t Come Knocking (2005). For her work in Gas Food Lodging, she had won the ‘Best Female Lead’ award at the Independent Spirit Awards. She has also been featured in numerous TV films such as The Worst Witch (1986), Deadly Intentions… Again? (1991), ZZ Top: Breakaway (1994), Shadow of a Doubt (1995), and Orpheus (2006).
Fairuza Alejandra Feldthouse
Point Reyes, California, United States
She splits her time between Los Angeles, California, United States, and New York City, New York, United States.
Fairuza had attended a high school in Vancouver but had to switch to correspondence courses to strike a balance between her education and acting opportunities.
- Father – Solomon Feldthouse (born David Earle Scaff) (Musician, Founding Member of the 1960s Psychedelic Rock Group Kaleidoscope)
- Mother – Cathryn Balk (Dancer, Choreographer)
- Siblings – Sol Balk (Brother)
- Others – Debra Monk (First Cousin, Once Removed) (Actress, Singer), David Stanley Scaff (Paternal Grandfather), Mary Lorraine Cole (Paternal Grandmother), Frederick Franklin ‘Fred’ Balk (Maternal Grandfather), Lavergne Leoni (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Fairuza has dated –
Race / Ethnicity
She is of German, English, distant Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Welsh, and Dutch descent.
She often tends to dye her hair dark brown, red, or black.
- Petite frame
- Shoulder-length, straight hair
- Cheerful smile
- Husky voice
- Has multiple tattoos on her right arm
- Has a triangle-shaped tattoo on her left shoulder
Fairuza Balk Facts
- Her father had named Fairuza due to the color of her eyes at the time of her birth. Fairuza means ‘turquoise’ in Persian. The word also means ‘victory’ or ‘precious one’ in Persian and Arabic. Her father had lived in Turkey, for about 5 years in his childhood, and he had learned Greek, Turkish, Iraqi, and Iranian music there.
- Her parents had parted ways soon after her birth and she was raised by her mother thereafter. She had lived, with her mother, in Cloverdale, California, until she was 2 years old. They had then relocated to Vancouver in Canada, where she had learned how to act by the time she had turned 6. They had later lived for a while in London and Paris as well, before returning to Vancouver.
- She has voiced the characters of Mercedes Cortez in the action-adventure video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002) and Lady T’Lak in the 3D fantasy real-time strategy video game Lords of EverQuest (2003).
- In 2017, Fragile Rock, an American collective of musicians and puppeteers, had performed a song titled Fairuza Balk when they were invited for an episode of NPR‘s (National Public Radio) Tiny Desk Concert, a video series of live concerts hosted by NPR Music.
Featured Image by Fairuza Balk / Instagram