|Feroze Gandhi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||September 12, 1912|
|Died||September 8, 1960|
Feroze Gandhi was an Indian politician and journalist who served as a member of the provincial parliament and of the Lok Sabha. Besides that, his wife Indira Gandhi was the only Indian woman to serve as the Prime Minister of India and his son Rajiv Gandhi was the youngest Prime Minister of India.
Feroze Jehangir Ghandy
Feroze was born on September 12, 1912.
He died on September 8, 1960, at the Willingdon Hospital in New Delhi, India due to cardiac arrest.
Tehmulji Narima Hospital, Fort, Bombay, Bombay Presidency, British India
Feroze studied at Vidya Mandir High School and later attended the Ewing Christian College.
- Father – Jehangir Faredoon Ghandy
- Mother – Ratimai Commissariat
- Siblings – Dorab Gandhy (Older Brother), Faridun Jehangir Gandhy (Older Brother), Tehmina Kershashp Gandhy (Older Sister), Aloo Dastur Gandhy (Older Sister)
- Others – Shirin Commissariat (Maternal Aunt) (Surgeon), Jawaharlal Nehru (Father-In-Law), Kamala Nehru (Mother-In-Law)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Feroze Gandhi’s name was linked with –
- Indira Gandhi (1942-1960) – They had 2 children named, Rajiv Gandhi (b. August 20, 1944) and Sanjay Gandhi (b. December 14, 1946). According to Swedish author Bertil Falk who wrote the book “Feroze, The Forgotten Gandhi,” he and Indira did not get along very well and he was never present around her.
Race / Ethnicity
- Round face shape
- Big ears
- Partially bald on the top of his head
Although Feroze considered himself to be a Parsi, he was not religious.
Feroze Gandhi Facts
- He was brought up in a Parsi family at the Nauroji Natakwala Bhawan in Khetwadi Mohall, Bombay.
- His family was originally from Kotpariwad in South Gujarat.
- Feroze was the youngest of 5 siblings born to Jehangir Faredoon and Ratimai.
- His father who once worked as a marine engineer on the Killick Nixon was promoted to warrant engineer.
- Feroze was a member of the Indian Independence Movement.
- After the death of his father in the early 1920s, Feroze and his mother Ratimai shifted to his aunt’s place in Allahabad.
- He was not a relative of the “Father of the Nation”, Mahatma Gandhi. Hence, his surname was “Gandhy” but his inspiration with Mahatma Gandhi’s work had him change the last alphabet in his surname from a “Y” to an “I.”
- His ashes were buried at the Parsi cemetery in Allahabad.
- In a biographical book titled Indira: the life of Indira Nehru Gandhi which was published by author Katherine Frank in 2002, she stated that Feroze may have been the son of his maternal aunt Shirin Commissariat.
- It is said that Feroze’s involvement in the Mundhra case and the Dalmia case helped India developed a centralized insurance system.
- Feroze’s son Sanjay died in a plane crash in 1980. Then, his wife Indira was assassinated in 1984. Later, in 1991 his son Rajiv was assassinated too.
Featured Image By Nehru Memorial Museum & Library / Public Domain