|Flume Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1991|
Flume is an Australian DJ, record producer, and musician, best known for his debut self-titled album Flume, released on November 9, 2012. It topped the album charts in Australia in 2013 and was later certified ‘Platinum’ within the country with more than 140k copies sold. After the album was released, Flume became considered a trendsetter and was credited as the pioneer and promoter of the “future bass” genre. His tracks featured heavy use of modulated synthesized bass sounds, which was close to the style of Mura Masa, Martin Garrix, Marshmello, Wave Race, and other artists in the mid-2010s. He also released an EP album before the studio album’s success – Sleepless (2011), and a 2nd one following the album’s release – Lockjaw (2013).
Flume’s second studio album, titled Skin, released on March 27, 2016, managed to reach number 1 on ARIA Albums Chart and earned Flume a Grammy Award for “Best Dance/Electronic Album” in 2017. The album’s lead single, Never Be Like You, was also nominated for a Grammy Award in the category of “Best Dance Recording” the same year. Following the album’s release, on November 25, 2016, he released his 3rd EP album – Skin Companion EP 1 on November 25, 2016, and 4th EP, titled Skin Companion EP 2 on February 17, 2017. After a 2-year break, he debuted his mixtape, titled Hi This Is Flume on March 19, 2019. Flume has garnered a huge fanbase online, with more than 2 million followers on SoundCloud, more than 1.5 million subscribers on YouTube, more than 2 million followers on Facebook, and more than 1 million followers on Instagram.
Harley Edward D. Streten
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Los Angeles, California, United States
Flume attended Seaforth Public School in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia for his primary education.
He then went on to study at Mosman High School in Mosman, New South Wales, Australia. After he graduated, Flute enrolled in St Augustine’s College in Brookvale, New South Wales, Australia.
Musician, DJ, Record Producer
- Father – Glen Streten (Filmmaker, Record Producer)
- Mother – Lyndall Streten (Former Teacher, Horticulturist)
- Siblings – He has a younger sister.
Flume is represented by –
- Future Classic (Manager) in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, and Los Angeles, California, United States
- Paradigm Agency (Talent Agent) in the United States and Canada
- Coda Agency (Talent Agent) in the United Kingdom, Europe, and Asia
- Future Classic (Talent Agent) in Australia and New Zealand
- Sacks And Co. (Publicist) in the United States and Canada
- Bossy Music (Publicist) in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia
- Bleached Communications, Practice Music (Publicist) in the United Kingdom and Europe
Electronica, Future Bass, Electropop, Experimental, EDM, Hip Hop
Turntables, Sampler, Synthesizer, Saxophone, Guitar
- Future Classic
- Transgressive Records
- Mom + Pop Music
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Flume has dated –
- Paige Elkington – He dated actress Paige Elkington in the past.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Australian descent.
Tall, slim physique
Flume hasn’t endorsed any brands yet.
Best Known For
- His studio albums Flume (2012) and Skin (2016), and EP albums Sleepless (2011), Lockjaw (2013), Skin Companion EP 1 (2016), Skin Companion EP 2 (2017), and a mixtape titled Hi This Is Flume, released in March 2019
- Working with world-renowned artists such as Chet Faker, Vince Staples, Lorde, Slowthai, Kai, Tove Lo, Sam Smith, Arcade Fire, and others
Flume released his debut studio album entitled Flume on November 9, 2012, under Future Classic record label. A deluxe version of the album was released on November 12, 2013. It consisted of 15 tracks, out of which Holdin On, Sleepless, On Top, Stay Close, Insane, More Than You Thought, What You Need, Left Alone, and Bring You Down were the most prominent. The album was met with generally positive reviews and received a score of 73 out of 100 on Metacritic, peaked at number 1 on yearly Australian Artist Albums Chart in 2013, and achieved a certified 2x ‘Platinum’ status in Australia.
Flume Favorite Things
- Activity – Traveling, Swimming, Sunbathing, Skiing, Fishing, Surfing, Cycling, Riding A Motorcycle
- Animal – Dog
- Place – Aspen Mountain, Wall of Gum in Seattle, Washington, United States
- He has a dog named Percy, who has his own Instagram account with more than 15k followers.
- Flume grew up in the Northern Beaches, one of the suburbs of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
- His 1st production disc was packaged in a box of cereal, and he made it at the age of 13.
- His parents used to play Van Morrison, Deep Forest, and Santana. Flume grew to hate Santana because they played it in the car on every road trip.
- His dad, who was a filmmaker, often brought TV commercials that clients weren’t happy with, which Flume would then fix the audio library for, and get a small paycheck.
- Flume’s 1st artist name consisted of his initials – HEDS, which he began using in 2010. Under that nickname, he created 2 original tracks – Fizz and Flow and made several remixes.
- The 1st radio play of his song named Possum was via the Triple J’s Unearthed, a competition to help uncover hidden talent in Australia. He finished at the 2nd place at the end.
- His stage name, Flume, comes from the title of the 1st track on Bon Iver’s album For Emma, Forever Ago (2007).
- Flume’s debut studio album, simply named Flume, was created on the 1st laptop he ever purchased, and while he was on a low-budget trip to London, England, United Kingdom.
- On the studio album Flume, he collaborated with Chet Baker on a song Left Alone, rapper T.Shirt on a song On Top, as well as artists Moon Holiday, George Maple, and Jezzabell Doran.
- Flume’s 1st national Australian tour, titled Infinity Prism Tour, sold more than 40k tickets between April and May 2013.
- He was named one of 30 “Must-See Acts” by the Fuse TV at the SXSW Festival in March 2013.
- Flume debuted his remix of Lorde‘s song Tennis Court at the festivals Lollapalooza in South America, and Coachella in Indio, California.
- He was included in a side project in form of a duo What So Not between 2011 and 2015 with record producer Emoh Instead. In February 2015, Flume announced they hadn’t created anything for a year and left the project.
- He was always inspired by nature. Flume admitted that he got through a creator’s block many times by hiring a car, going to a remote cabin, and spending days simply drawing inspiration.
- Flume loves experimenting and incorporating new elements into his music. For one of his projects, he found a lumberjack that did music plug-ins as a side job and purchased unique sounds from him.
- His 2nd studio album, Skin (2016), featured collaborations with the artists Kai, Vic Mensa, Tove Lo, Vince Staples, Kučka, Allan Kingdom, Raekwon, AlunaGeorge, and MNDR.
- His single Never Be Like You became the top spot in the “Hottest 100 of 2016” by Triple J radio station in January 2017, after it received more than 2.2 million votes. It was also a record for the number of votes received at the time.
- He moved to Los Angeles, California, United States in early 2017. His goal was to make his home into a creative hub for producers and musicians where everyone would feel inspired.
- The only part of his job as a music producer he doesn’t like is being lonely while working, with only his computer and instrument in front of him.
- Flume was a presenter at the ARIA Music Awards event on November 28, 2017.
- His mixtape, Hi This Is Flume (2019), which consisted of 17 songs, debuted at the 9th spot on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Chart, and at number 185 on the Billboard 200 chart.
- In May 2022, he released his 3rd studio album titled Palaces.
- In February 2023, Flume released a mixtape album titled Things Don’t Always Go the Way You Plan.
- In May 2023, he released a new album titled Arrived Anxious, Left Bored.
- Visit his official website @ flumemusic.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, SoundCloud, YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, Discogs, and Last.fm.
Featured Image by Flume / Instagram