|Franco Morbidelli Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||December 4, 1994|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Franco Morbidelli is an Italian professional motorcycle racer who began competing in the MotoGP World Championship in 2018. Before this, he had won the European Superstock 600 Championship in 2013 and the Moto2 World Championship in 2017.
Rome, Lazio, Italy
Tavullia, Pesaro e Urbino, Marche, Italy
Professional Motorcycle Racer
- Father – Livio Morbidelli (Former Motorcycle Racer) (d. January 2013)
- Mother – Cristina de Franco
- Bike Service Racing Team/RCGM Team (2011-2012) (European Superstock 600 Championship)
- San Carlo Team Italia (2013) (European Superstock 600 Championship)
- Federal Oil Gresini Moto2 (2013) (Moto2)
- Italtrans Racing Team (2014-2015) (Moto2)
- Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (2016-2017) (Moto2)
- Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (2018) (MotoGP)
- Petronas Yamaha SRT (2019-Present) (MotoGP)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Latino)
He is of Italian descent on his father’s side and Brazilian descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Neck-length, frizzy, curly hair
- Sports a trimmed goatee
- Affable smile
Franco Morbidelli Facts
- Franco’s father, Livio Morbidelli, was an accomplished motorcycle racer himself and had finished runner-up in the 80cc and 125cc classes of the Italian national championships. He had identified his son’s talent and potential in motorcycle racing from his teenage years. However, he was struggling financially at that time and used to find it tough to support Franco’s racing career.
- Livio had then decided to meet Graziano Rossi, his former racing compatriot, and father of multiple Moto GP champion Valentino Rossi, to seek access to the motorcycle training facilities in the town of Tavullia. After a discussion with Graziano, Livio had decided to sell the family home in Rome and move to Tavullia to provide the best possible base to kickstart Franco’s racing career. Valentino had later decided to form the VR46 Academy and Franco had become the academy’s first official member.
- He is often mistaken as being related to Giancarlo Morbidelli, founder of the Morbidelli brand of motorcycles, or his son Gianni Morbidelli, former Formula One racing driver.
- While still in his teenage years, he was on the verge of competing in the Spanish CEV 125cc Championship, one of the primary feeder series to launch a racing career in Grand Prix motorcycle racing. However, a lack of funding had stalled his participation in the event. Instead, he started participating in the European Superstock 600 Championship in 2011.
- His father had committed suicide in January 2013 owing to financial difficulties and later that year, Franco had recorded the breakthrough of his career by winning the European Superstock 600 Championship, with 5 podium finishes including 2 wins in the 10 races. His win had earned him a seat, later that year, at the Moto2 World Championship.
- When he won the Moto2 World Championship in 2017, he had dominated to such an extent that he had earned a podium finish in 12 of the 18 races and won 8 of those 12 races. He had won 4 out of the first 5 races of the season and other than the 2 races that he had retired in, he had not finished below the 8th position in any of the races.
Featured Image by Franco Morbidelli / Instagram