f(x) is a South Korean multinational girl group that has been formed by SM Entertainment and has included artists like Victoria Song, Amber Liu, Luna, Krystal Jung, and Sulli. The band debuted with the release of the digital single La Cha Ta in September 2009 and has since released a number of tracks, albums, and extended plays including Electric Shock, Pinocchio, 4 Walls, Red Light, Pink Tape, Hot Summer, Rum Pum Pum Pum, and All Mine.
Seoul, South Korea
K-Pop, Electropop, Synth-Pop, EDM, Experimental
SM Entertainment, Avex Trax
First Headlining Tour
The first headlining tour of f(x) was named Dimension 4 – Docking Station and comprised of 3 shows in Seoul, South Korea, and 8 shows throughout Japan.
The girl group released its debut studio album, Pinocchio, on April 20, 2011, via SM Entertainment and it included songs such as Pinocchio (Danger), Sweet Witches, Love, Gangsta Boy, My Style, and So Into U. On June 14, 2011, the album was re-released as Hot Summer (Repackage Edition).
- The name ‘f(x)’ is derived from a function of mathematics and indicates that the members would carry out various activities depending on their varying talents and styles. The name also symbolizes “flower reminiscent of women”.
- f(x) is recognized for its experimental style and eclectic, electropop-based sound and became the first K-pop act to perform at SXSW in Austin, Texas, United States.
- In 2012, the group released its 2nd EP, Electric Shock, which was placed at number #1 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart and at number #2 on the US World Albums (Billboard) chart. The title track Electric Shock helped the group win the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards for “Best Dance Performance – Female Group” in Hong Kong.
- f(x) released its 3rd studio album, Red Light, on July 7, 2014, and it was ranked at number #1 on the South Korean Albums (Gaon) chart, at number #2 on US World Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #13 on US Heatseekers Albums (Billboard) chart.
- Sulli left the girl group in August 2015.
- In 2016, f(x) members began individual music, acting, and modeling careers and f(x)‘s promotions and other activities were halted.
- On the “Top 10 K-pop Girl Groups of the Past Decade” list curated by Billboard in the year 2017, f(x) was ranked at number #7.
- f(x) has won a number of awards including Korean Music Award, Cyworld Digital Music Award, Golden Disc Award, Mnet Asian Music Award, and Red Dot Design Award.
- The girl group has been a part of a couple of films and shows like SMTown: The Stage, I AM., and Amazing f(x).
Featured Image by PTTf(x) / Tistory.com / CC BY 4.0