|Gael García Bernal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||November 30, 1978|
Gael García Bernal is a Mexican actor, film director, model, and producer who is best known for his appearance in several films such as La mala educación (Bad Education) in 2004 and The Motorcycle Diaries in 2004. He is also distinguished for his roles in El abuelo y yo (1992) and Mozart in the Jungle. Gael’s impressive acting skills have also won him a Golden Globe award. He also a huge fan base with more than 600k followers on Instagram and more than 3 million followers on Twitter.
Gael García Bernal
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
He divides his time in between Mexico City, Mexico and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Gael graduated from the Edron Academy in Álvaro Obregón.
Later, he attended the National Autonomous University of Mexico where he pursued philosophy. However, due to an ongoing strike, he took a break from the university and moved to London where he began studying at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
Gael is also an alumnus of the International Baccalaureate.
Actor, Film Director, Model, Singer, and Producer
- Father – José Ángel Garcia (Actor, Director)
- Mother – Patricia Bernal (Actress, Model)
- Siblings – Unknown
- Others – Tamara Yazbek (Half-sister) (Actress), Dario Yazbek Bernal (Younger Half-brother) (Actor), Sergio Yazbek (Step-father) (Cinematographer)
Gael is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gael has dated –
- Cecilia Suárez (2001-2003) – Gael was rumored to be dating actress Cecilia in 2001. The couple was believed to have dated for 2 years before splitting in 2003.
- Natalie Portman (2003-2007) – Israeli actress Natalie Portman and Gael were in an on and off relationship from 2003 to 2007. They had been spotted together very often and they accompanied each other to the Berlin International Film Festival in 2006.
- Dolores Fonzi (2008-2014) – Gael started dating Argentinian actress Dolores Fonzi in 2008. The couple lived together for several years and had their first child, a boy named Lázaro Bernal (b. 2009) and later, had a girl named Libertad García Fonzi in 2011. However, they never tied the knots with each other and in 2014, they parted ways.
- Belén Chavanne – He was rumored to be dating Argentinian actress Belén Chavanne in the past.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Mexican ancestry.
9 (US) or 42 (EU) or 8 (UK)
Gael has appeared in the TV commercials for brands like –
- Levi’s Jeans (2002)
- Filmfour (2006)
- Gillette (2012)
- Chrysler 200 (2015)
He was brought up in a family that was Catholic but he believes in Agnosticism.
Best Known For
- Being cast in La mala educación (Bad Education) (2004), The Motorcycle Diaries (2004), and Y Tu Mamá También (2011)
- Starring in TV shows such as El abuelo y yo (1992) and Mozart in the Jungle
- Appearing on the cover of several magazines such as Eres (2001), Time Out New York (2002), Interview (2003), AD Magazine (2004), and The Big Issue Japan (2014)
- Winning many awards including the Golden Globe award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Comedy or Musical in 2016
- Lending his voice as Héctor in the animated film Coco (2017)
As a Singer
Gael has lent his voice for several soundtracks such as Remember Me, Everyone Knows Juanita, and Un Poco Loco in Coco (2017).
He has also performed songs such as Quiero que me quieras (I Want You to Want Me) in Rudo y Cursi (2008) and I Just Called to Say I Love You in Blindness (2008).
Gael also sang a duet along with Devendra Banhart called Cristobal. The song was featured in Devendra’s album Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon in 2007.
Gael made his theatrical film debut as Octavio in Alejandro G. Iñárritu’s drama-thriller movie Amores Perros in 2000.
He made his theatrical film debut as a voice actor by lending his voice to the character of Héctor in the animated film Coco in 2017.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as Peluche in the romantic-drama series Teresa in 1989.
As a voice actor, he made his TV show debut in Noche Hache in 2005.
His diet consists of seafood and a staple diet called arroz los frijoles (rice and beans). He also prefers not to eat meat.
Gael García Bernal Favorite Things
- Chick Flick – A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Husbands (1970)
- Actor – Javier Bardem
- Actresses – Emily Watson, Juliette Binoche
- Subject – Chemistry
- Dish – Huauzontles
- Food – Seafood
- Locations To Shoot At – Mexico City, La Paz, Kazbegi (Georgia), Iquitos (Peru), Palenque
- Movie – Sin Nombre (2009)
- Bands – La Revolución de Emiliano Zapata, Nacha Pop, Control Machete, Silvio Rodriguez, Carla Morrison, Los Tigres Del Norte, Devendra Banhart, Caifanes, Jessy Bulbo, Gilberto Gil
Gael García Bernal Facts
- Gael’s mother was 19 or 20 years old when he was born and his father was about 22 years old. However, they separated while he was still a child and his mother later got married to Sergio Yazbek.
- He can speak French, Portuguese, Italian, and English.
- In 2005, he received an invitation to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- Gael founded the production company Canana Films along with his best friend Diego Luna and Pablo Cruz in 2005.
- He was ranked amongst Time magazine’s “Time 100 Most Influential People” list in 2016.
- His role models are German actor Klaus Kinski, English actor Daniel Day-Lewis, and Italian actor Marcello Mastroianni.
- At the age of 19, he moved to London, England and became the first Mexican to be accepted at the Central School of Speech and Drama, London, England.
- In 2008, he was given an Excellence in Acting Award at the Provincetown International Film Festival.
- It is suspected that while he was swimming in the Amazon for a shot in The Motorcycle Diaries (2004) he was bitten by a spider that laid its eggs inside his leg.
- In 2007, he was ranked at #65 in the Empire Magazine‘s “100 Sexiest Movie Stars in the World” list.
- He was a jury member for the Official Competition at the 67th Cannes International Film Festival in 2014 and the 57th Berlin International Film Festival in 2007.
- In 2014, he was featured in Calle 13‘s music video Ojos Color Sol.
- Gael is a supporter of Amnesty International.
- In the past, he was chosen as an ambassador for Oxfam.
- Follow him on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Festival Internacional de Cine en Guadalajara / Flickr / CC BY-2.0