|Gaël Monfils Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 2, 1986|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Gaël Monfils is a French professional tennis player who is best known for reaching semifinals at the 2008 French Open and 2016 US Open, and ATP Masters 1000 finals at the Paris Masters in 2009 and 2010, as well as at the 2016 Monte-Carlo Masters. As of June 2022, he was ranked at No. 6 in singles by the Association of Tennis Professionals. Gaël has participated in numerous tournaments such as Wimbledon and Australian Open. In the past, he has been sponsored by brands like Nike, K-Swiss, ASICS, Head, Wilson, Decathlon, and many more.
Gaël Sébastien Monfils
Monfils, La Monf, Sliderman
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-handed backhand)
- Father – Rufin Monfils (Agent for France Telecom and Former Footballer)
- Mother – Sylvette Cartesse (Nurse)
- Siblings – Daryl Monfils (Younger Brother) (Tennis Player)
Monfils is signed with Federation Francaise de Tennis.
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gael Monfils dated –
- Alize Cornet – In the past, Monfils had a fling with the French female tennis player Alize Cornet.
- Dominika Cibulkova (2008) – In 2008, Gael dated the Slovak female tennis player Dominika Cibulkova.
- Elina Svitolina (2019-Present) – He announced his relationship with tennis player Elina Svitolina in 2018 and the couple got engaged on April 3, 2021. They tied the knot on July 16, 2021.
Race / Ethnicity
- Long Arms
- Afro Hairstyle
Throughout his career, Monfils has signed endorsement deals with Nike, K-Swiss, Asics, Head, Prince, Wilson, etc.
Best Known For
Being a very athletic tennis player who often slides in order to throw the ball back to his opponent. Monfils is also recognized as an excellent showman who loves to play risky shots and have fun on the tennis courts.
First TV Show
Other than tennis matches itself, Monfils first appeared in the episode Stars for Stars of the TV series Open Access in 2006.
Throughout his career, Monfils has been coached by various trainers such as –
- Thierry Champion (2004-2006)
- Tarik Benhabiles (2007-2008)
- Roger Rasheed (2008-2011)
- Patrick Chamagne (2011-2015)
- Jan de Witt
- Remi Barbarin (Fitness Trainer)
Although we do not know the exact type of workouts the Frenchman does, we managed to find one video of his workout, which you can see below.
Gael Monfils Favorite Things
- Tennis Player – Arthur Ashe
- Basketball Player – Carmelo Anthony
Source – ATP World Tour
Gael Monfils Facts
- His fellow tennis players selected him for the 2005 ATP Newcomer of the Year.
- Gael is very good friends with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Josselin Ouanna, and Paterne Mamata.
- Monfils once stated that if he wasn’t a tennis player, he would have been a basketball player.
- He is an avid supporter of the NBA team Denver Nuggets.
- Gael loves to dance. He is known for his great break-dancing skills.
- As a Junior, Monfils was ranked No. 1 in February 2004. In the same year, Gael won Australian Open, Wimbledon, and French Open Boys tournaments.
- He won his first ATP title at the Idea Prokom Open in Poland when in the finals, he defeated the German player Florian Mayer.
- Monfils played in the semifinals of the 2008 French Open and lost to the Swiss superstar Roger Federer in four sets (2-6, 7-5, 3-6, 5-7).
- In 2009, Gael suffered from Osgood-Schlatter disease on his knee. That forced him to miss Madrid and Rome Masters.
- Gael celebrates his victories with dancing.
- Monfils enjoys listening to R&B music.
- He and his brother Daryl performed together at the 2012 Open Sud de France in doubles. But, the brothers lost in the starting round of the tournament.
- As a teenager, Monfils competed in athletics. He won the U-13 and U-14 100m championships. However, he quit athletics so he can fully focus on becoming a tennis player. One of his athletics trainers stated that Monfils had the needed talent to make it to the Olympic 100m final.