|Hans Zimmer Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||September 12, 1957|
Hans Zimmer is a German film score composer and record producer who is widely regarded as one of the greatest film music composers of all time. As of March 2022, he had won 4 Grammy Awards, 3 Classical BRIT Awards, 3 Golden Globes, 2 Academy Awards, and a BAFTA Award. Over the course of his career, he has composed music for more than 150 films including Rain Man (1988), Crimson Tide (1995), The Rock (1996), As Good as It Gets (1997), The Thin Red Line (1998), Gladiator (2000), Pearl Harbor (2001), The Last Samurai (2003), Madagascar (2005), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (2006), Kung Fu Panda (2007), Frost/Nixon (2008), Sherlock Holmes (2009), Inception (2010), Rush (2012), 12 Years a Slave (2013), Interstellar (2014), Dunkirk (2017), The Lion King (2019), Wonder Woman 1984 (2020), No Time to Die (2021), and Top Gun: Maverick (2022). He has served as the head of the film music division at DreamWorks studios and owns the film score company Remote Control Productions.
Hans Florian Zimmer
Frankfurt, Darmstadt, Hesse, Germany
Los Angeles, California, United States
Hans had attended the Ecole d’Humanité, an international boarding school in Bern, Switzerland.
He had moved to the United Kingdom as a teenager and had attended the Hurtwood House school, a mixed, independent boarding school and sixth form near Dorking, Surrey, England.
Film Score Composer, Record Producer
- Father – Hans Joachim Zimmer (Engineer, Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of a Textiles Company called Zimmer AG Frankfurt am Main) (d. 1963)
- Mother – Brigitte Zimmer (née Weil) (Musician)
- Others – Maximilian Weil (Maternal Grandfather)
World Music, Orchestral, Electronic
Piano, Keyboards, Synthesizer, Guitar, Banjo
- Remote Control Productions
- Bleeding Fingers Music
Hans Zimmer’s net worth had been $200 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Hans has dated –
- Vicki Carolin (1982–1992) – Hans had married model Vicki Carolin in March 1982 and the couple had parted ways in April 1992. They have a daughter together named Zoe Zimmer (b. November 2, 1987) (Photographer, Model).
- Suzanne Zimmer (1994-2020) – Hans had started dating Suzanne in 1994 and they got married later. They have 4 children together – 2 daughters named Brigitte Zimmer (b. July 1999) and Annabel Zimmer (b. June 2002), and 2 sons named Jake Zimmer (b. December 1997) and Maxwell Zimmer (b. June 2002). In April 2020, Hans had filed for divorce.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of German-Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Stocky frame
- Receding hairline
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
- Puffy face
Hans Zimmer Facts
- Hans, in his childhood, used to play/learn the piano at home as he did not like the discipline of formal lessons. His formal training had lasted less than 2 weeks and he had largely learned how to play the instrument on his own.
- A huge fan of the legendary Italian composer, orchestrator, conductor, and trumpeter Ennio Morricone, he had once stated that the score for the 1968 epic spaghetti western film Once Upon a Time in the West (the music for which was written by Ennio) had inspired him to become a film music composer.
- His mother was a World War II survivor and had escaped from Germany to England in 1939. She had returned to her home country a few years after the end of the war in 1945.
- His last name, Zimmer, means ‘room’ in German.
- In December 2010, he had been honored with a ‘Star’ on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He had dedicated the award to his publicist and friend Ronni Chasen who had been shot and killed in Beverly Hills about a month ago.
- In November 2017, a main-belt asteroid (495253) 2013 OC8 was named Hanszimmer.
- In October 2018, he had received the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- He had turned down the opportunity of working with his frequent collaborator Christopher Nolan in the science fiction action thriller film Tenet (2020) so that he could work on the epic science fiction film Dune (2021) because he was a big fan of the eponymous 1965 novel on which the film is based.
- It turned out to be a very fruitful decision as his work on the film won him the Academy Award in the category of ‘Best Original Score’ for the 2nd time; nearly 3 decades after he had won the award for the first time – for his work on the 1994 animated musical drama film The Lion King.
- He is renowned for the frequent use of a ‘Bwaum’ in his film scores wherein a major plot point is revealed and the music blasts out a single note loudly.
- As of March 2022, he was the only composer to have scored for Batman films under 2 different directors (Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder) as well as the only composer to have scored for films about both Batman (Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012)) and Superman (Man of Steel (2013)).
Featured Image by Hans Zimmer / Instagram