HomeMagazineHealth Apps Downloads Doubled from Last Year

Health Apps Downloads Doubled from Last Year

Health Apps

All of us have mobile phones, which are mostly smartphones. It can be Android OS (Google) or iOS (Apple). The most interesting part is the innovative apps. We download and enjoy them. Every app have its utility. But, the thing, which I am gonna discuss is about the health apps.

As compared to last year’s statistics, this time the number of apps downloaded have doubled. In 2011, approx 127 million apps were downloaded and it has reached 247 million mark till October 2012 (Just in 10 months). You can see that people are becoming more health conscious, day by day. These are the stats of both, Android and iOS.

As of now, 40,000 health apps are available in the market, which people are enjoying on their smartphones and tablets. According to age groups, the stats are –

  • 29% downloads are done by the age group of 18 to 29 years.
  • 18% are done by 30 to 49 years.
  • The people of 50-64 years age group have done around 8% of total downloads.
  • The rest of the people, from 65+ years of age have been recorded as 7%.

Out of these apps, 90% apps are free and the remaining 10% are less than $3 in price. Though, more and more people are using these apps, but there is no guarantee that these apps are true and supply correct information. Now, various countries including US have told the developers that, before launching the apps, they are required to validate it for various types of risk effects.

In a single click, the people would be able to get more accurate info and they can rely on that. In 2011, the market did a business of 1.2 billion dollars whereas in 2012 (till October), it has been recorded as 11.2 billion dollars. The 2 facts –

  • 60% apps of the downloaded health apps are related to exercises and weight loss.
  • As compared to Android users, the iPhone users are ready to spend 7% more on these apps.

Yes, by the time, you must be excited to know, which are those apps that are so much popular that people can’t resist to download them and use for their benefit. The list is as follows –

  1. iStethoscope – This app got the maximum number of hits, which is for iPhone users and is available for $0.99. It is developed by Peter Bentley. This app is capable of listening your heartbeat and then shows it on your phone in the form of waveform.
  2. Lose It! – Lose it is another popular iPhone, iPad, iPod touch app, which can help you in weight loss. This can tell you the calories of a packaged food by just scanning its barcode. Other than this, it can also help you keep track of what you have eaten, how many calories can be intaked today and other related stuff and yes, this app is totally free of cost, developed by FitNow Inc.
  3. Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock – Sleep Cycle is an intelligent alarm clock, which wakes you up only when you are in the lightest sleep phase. Though, this app is not free and is available for a $0.99 price. It claims to have reached no.1 top paid app in many countries like Japan, Russia, Germany, France, Sweden, South Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Taiwan.
  4. T2 Mood Tracker – This app allows user to monitor their moods. There are some pre loaded scales also, like – Anxiety, Stress, Depression, Brain Injury, Post-Traumatic Stress, General well-being. It is free of cost. Android users can download it from here.

The people have also downloaded apps related to pregnancy, allergy level, doctor linked, etc on their Android and iPhones. The American regulatory authority, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have given guidelines to the developers. It has told the mechanism to classify these apps on the basis of the behaviour. For instance, if the app is related to running only, it will come under the category of wellness. Also, the app is called medical, if it tells how much a person needs to run to lose his belly fat.

For all these health apps, one needs to take recognition from the authorities. Furthermore, the developers need to tell the users that what can be the risks of using this app and under what circumstances, the people need to take the expert advice. These steps have been taken, after seeing the great demand of these kind of apps.

Source – Dainik Bhaskar Newspaper

Did we miss anyone?


  1. Hi there,

    Interesting statistics there, may I know where you got the numbers from? I didn’t see any links to the sources. I am doing research on health and wellness mobile apps and would love to know where you got the numbers from.

    Thanks very much!


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Recent Articles