Idina Kim Mentzel
Queens, New York, United States
In 1993, Idina graduated from New York University‘s Tisch School of the Arts with a BFA (Bachelor of Fine Arts) in drama.
Actress, singer, songwriter
- Father – Stuart Mentzel (Pajama salesman)
- Mother – Helene Mentzel (Therapist)
- Siblings – Cara Mentzel (Younger Sister) (Teacher)
Hollywood, Warner Bros., Walkman Records, Zel
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
55 kg or 121 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Idina has dated –
- Taye Diggs (1996-2013) – Idina started dating actor Taye Diggs in 1996 when she met him during the Broadway production of Rent. After dating for a couple of years, the duo married on January 11, 2003. Their married life went on for just more than a decade, which finally came to an end on December 11, 2013. During their time together, Idina also gave birth to the couple’s first child, a son named, Walker Nathaniel Diggs on September 2, 2009. Their divorce was finalized in December 2014.
- Aaron Lohr (2015-Present) – Actor and singer Aaron Lohr and Idina started dating in April 2015. On September 23, 2016, via Twitter, she announced that she has engaged with Lohr.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Russian and European ancestry.
35-25-36 in or 89-63.5-91.5 cm
6 (US) or 36 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
She has appeared in Disney’s Super Bowl commercial and HP’s tablet commercial.
Best Known For
Playing Maureen Johnson in the musical drama film Rent in 2005. The movie received several nominations.
She also played the same role in the 1996 Broadway production of Rent.
She released her debut album titled Still I Can’t Be Still on September 15, 1998 via Hollywood Records. The album consisted of 11 singles, which was a failure. It sold less than 10,000 copies in the United States and also did not chart on the Billboard 200.
She appeared in 2001 independent romantic comedy film Kissing Jessica Stein for her role as a bridesmaid.
First TV Show
In 1998, she appeared for just 1 episode in Hercules: The Animated Series for her role as Circe.
She credits enough sleep and steam shower for fitness. Steam helps her to improve voice and skin. In addition to steam, Idina also finds Kate Somerville’s Purify Clarifying Cleanser good for the skin.
She eats lots of blueberries – it is her healthy go-to snack.
She also likes to eat sushi, chicken, grilled fish, brussels sprouts and others.
She does Bikram yoga, and boxing under the guidance of a personal trainer. She is really into boxing and enjoys doing it, while Pilates is something, which she finds little boring as compared to boxing.
Idina Menzel Favorite Things
- Food – Sushi
- Color – Green (previously), deep purple
- Ice Cream Flavor – Rocky Road (Chocolate)
Source – WebMD.com, TV.com
Idina Menzel Facts
- She has a pet dog named, Sammy Davis Jr. Jr.
- Idina’s name is pronounced as “Ih-DEE-nah men-ZELL”.
- Idina was born in Queens (in New York) but grew up in Syosset (in New York).
- Her parents divorced when she was 15.
- She is good friends with actor Adam Pascal. They have also worked together in Rent.
- Idina uses her last name as “Menzel” rather than “Mentzel” just because, both sounds same and people don’t even make mistakes (regarding the pronunciation) now.
- Her single “Let It Go” charted at #17 in U.S.
- Her sister Cara is three years younger than her.