|J. J. Watt Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||March 22, 1989|
Justin James Watt
J. J. Watt
Waukesha, Wisconsin, United States
J. J. went to the Pewaukee High School in Waukesha County, where he played football and won the letter for four years. He also received a varsity letter in baseball, basketball, and track and field. He was also shortlisted for first-team All-State in his senior year and was titled as the MVP of his school’s team.
On completion of high school, Justin received scholarship from Central Michigan University and went on to complete matriculation there. However, despite having a starting spot in the team, he opted to walk out of the University to join the University of Wisconsin-Madison as he wasn’t happy with his development at the former and, it was at the University of Wisconsin-Madison that he consolidated his reputation as an excellent defensive end. He was again selected as the team’s MVP.
However, he did skip his senior year at the university to enter the 2011 NFL draft.
Professional American Football Player
- Father – John Watt (Firefighter and formerly an amateur shot put competitor)
- Mother – Connie Watt (Building Operations Vice-President)
- Siblings – Derek Watt (Brother) (Student and Football Player at the University of Wisconsin), T. J. Watt (Brother) (Student and Football Player at the University of Wisconsin)
As per his earlier Standard Representation Agreement filed with the NFL Players Association, Watt was represented by Ben Dogra and Tom Condon, who were former colleagues at the Creative Artists Agency.
However, on April 14, 2015, he removed Dogra from his representation duty. He continues to be represented by Cordon and his management agency.
6 ft 5 in or 196 cm
131 kg or 289 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
J. J. Watt has dated –
- Caroline Wozniacki (2015) – In 2015, Watt had a short-lived relationship with tennis star Caroline Wozniacki. In April 2015, they were spotted together at the NCAA championship in Houston, watching the match between Wisconsin and Duke. In May 2015, they were spotted spending time together in Paris, where Caroline was participating in the French Open.
- Kate Hudson (2016) – In 2016, he dated actress Kate Hudson for a very short period. The duo documented their intimate dinner on Snapchat and shared it with their fans as confirmed by Fox News.
- Lindsey Vonn (2016) – In July 2016, it was reported that he had a fling with the famous skier Lindsey Vonn. They were spotted canoodling after the ESPY awards.
- Kealia Ohai (2016-Present) – Watt was rumored to be dating teammate Brian Cushing’s sister-in-law Kealia Ohai in 2016. The couple later confirmed their relationship and got engaged in May 2019. They tied the knot in February 2020 in the Bahamas. In June 2022, Watt and Kealia revealed that they were expecting their first child together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Scottish descent.
- Freakish athlete
- Bulging muscles
- Huge thighs
- Blue Eyes
Due to his superb defensive play, Watt earns three times as much as any other defensive player off the field from his numerous endorsement deals.
His sponsors including Reebok, Gatorade, American Family Insurance, NRG Energy, Papa John’s, and Verizon Wireless have made him the highest-earning player outside of the quarterback club.
Best Known For
During the 2014 season, he became the first player in NFL history to have 20 or more sacks in separate seasons. Also, he is the only defensive linesman to have achieved five touchdowns in a season since 1944. Plus, he holds the Texans’ franchise records for both sacks and forced fumbles.
He has won the Defensive Player of the Year award thrice in his career until 2016 and is only the second player after Lawrence Taylor to achieve this distinction.
Watt made his movie debut with the 2016 comedy Bad Moms, starring Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, Kathryn Hahn, Jay Hernandez, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Christina Applegate. He was cast in a cameo role of Coach Craig.
First TV Show
His first TV appearance apart from NFL matches was in news talk show Good Morning America Weekend Edition as a guest.
During off-seasons, Watt undergoes intense training to keep his freakish muscles in top-notch shape for the coming seasons. His typical workout includes everything from benching a jaw-dropping weight of 400 pounds to flipping a 1,000-pound tire and working the push sled.
However, he decreases intensity of the workout at the end of the off season to ensure his body is fully recovered and fresh, but still that reduced intensity workout can bury most of us. In a 90 minutes workout recorded by the Men’s Health magazine, he combined number of mobility drills with core work, which included doing swings with a 100-pound kettlebell, plus a band for added resistance. The foam roll was used in the start to activate his muscles as well as in the end to ensure the proper recovery and restoration of optimum blood flow.
Of course, to cope with tremendous physical demands, you need to fuel your body with sufficient nutrition, which in Watt’s case is 9,000 calories per day diet. In February 2016, his trainer Brad Arnett devised a diet that made sure his body had enough fuel to keep him going in challenging physical environment and recover from his injuries.
Arnett had told him that if he was going to eat several chicken breasts in one meal, he would have to wrap it in bacon. He was also asked to double the portions of mashed sweet potatoes, pasta, fish, and avocados. On the whole, he was eating fifty slices of bacon, 20 chicken breasts, and 13 whole avocados along with a massive potato pancake omelette for brunch.
J. J. Watt Favorite Things
- Food – Stuffed French Toast with berries and Barbecue meat.
- TV Show – Modern Family
- Boy Band – NSYNC
- Character of all time – Tommy Pickles from Rugrats
- Movie – Rudy (1993)
J. J. Watt Facts
- He played hockey from the age of four to thirteen and was often selected to teams that traveled to Canada and Germany. But, due to financial reasons and conflicting schedule, he gave up that sport.
- He used to work as a pizza delivery boy when he was younger.
- His $100 million six-year contract with Houston Texans is one of the biggest contracts in the game and certainly the biggest for the defensive player at the time of signing.
- He has a huge crush on actress Jennifer Aniston and was rumored to be dating her by some tabloids, which ultimately proved to be baseless.
- He started his charitable foundation when he was in his junior year in college. While doing volunteer work, he realized that some children didn’t have sufficient opportunities in athletics and decided to make a small contribution with his foundation. He is the president of the foundation and his mother runs it.
- He has a spider phobia.
- Like his father, he was a pretty good shot-put athlete during his high school days. In his senior year, he even earned a first-team All-state selection. In 2007, he won the state title at the 2007 WIAA Division II Championship, setting a new school record with a throw of 59 ft, 11.5 in (18.28 meters) at the event.
- In February 2021, he was released from the Houston Texans and in March 2021, he signed a $31-million, 2-year contract with the Arizona Cardinals.