|J. R. Smith Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||September 9, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
J. R. Smith is an American former professional basketball player and college golfer. He used to play high school basketball at the Saint Benedict’s Preparatory School and was later selected in the first round of the NBA draft in 2004 by the New Orleans Hornets. In the past, he has played for teams like Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks, Zhejiang Golden Bulls, and Los Angeles Lakers. In 2021, Smith started attending the North Carolina A&T State University and later joined their Aggies golf team. During the course of his basketball career, Smith has been the recipient of honors such as NBA‘s “Sixth Man of the Year, McDonald’s All-American Game‘s “Co-MVP”, and CBA‘s “Scoring Champion”.
Earl Joseph Smith III
J. R. Smith, J. R. Swish
Freehold Borough, New Jersey, United States
J. R. graduated from Millstone Middle School in 1999. He later shifted to Steinert High School and McCorristin Catholic High School and eventually ended up at Lakewood High School where he became a member of the basketball team.
His journey at Lakewood didn’t last long as he moved to Saint Benedict’s Preparatory School where he continued to play basketball.
Despite, J. R. penned a letter of intent to play at the University of North Carolina after he scored 25 points in the McDonald’s All-American Game, Smith decided not to attend college and instead join the 2004 NBA Draft.
In April 2021, he enrolled at North Carolina A&T State University and aimed for a degree in liberal studies.
Professional Basketball Player
- Father – Earl Smith, Jr.
- Mother – Ida Smith
- Siblings – Chris Smith (Younger Brother) (Professional Basketball player who plays in the NBA), Stephanie Smith (Sister), Dimitrius Smith (Brother)
J. R. is one of the six children. He has three brothers and two sisters.
J. R. Smith is signed with Rich Paul.
Shooting Guard / Small Forward
6 ft 6 in or 198 cm
102 kg or 225 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
J. R. Smith dated –
- Solange Knowles (2007) – In 2007, Smith dated with the American singer Solange Knowles for three months.
- Britanie Girard (2011-2012) – Smith commenced dating the American model Britanie Girard in January 2011. However, their love story didn’t last long as they parted ways a year after in January 2012.
- Tahiry Jose (2012) – J. R. was in a short-lived relationship with another American model, Tahiry Jose in 2012.
- Rihanna (2012-2013) – In the period from 2012 to 2013, Smith dated popular American singer Rihanna.
- Chanel Iman (2012) – In 2012, Smith had a fling with the American model Chanel Iman.
- K. Michelle (2012) – In 2012, J. R. was part of a brief romance between him and American singer K. Michelle.
- Jewel Harris (2015-Present) – Smith is currently married to Jewel Harris. Together, they have a daughter Demi Smith. Jewel is also a stepmom to J. R’s daughter, Peyton from his previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
- Facial hair
- Body covered with tattoos. He is known to have more than 70 tattoos.
- Towering height
Smith has been seen in TV adverts for Foot Locker, NBA, etc.
He had done modeling work for Nike and Supreme in 2018.
Best Known For
His athletic abilities such as high vertical leap which allow him to dunk on opponents and to electrify the crowd. Smith is also recognized for being a very inconsistent player who can either have a great night and wins a game single-handedly or to be a completely out of his real game, and place his team in a bad situation. It is good to mention that J. R. Smith became an NBA Champion with the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2016 after in the finals, they managed to beat Golden State Warriors in a total of 7 matches.
First Basketball Match
On November 3, 2011, J. R. Smith played his first official NBA game as a member of the New Orleans Hornets against the Dallas Mavericks. The Hornets lost the game by 15 with the final score being 91-106 for the Mavericks. Smith ended up with 6 points, 3 rebounds and 1 assist for a total of 15 minutes on the court.
- Shooting (Especially three point)
- Athleticism (Speed, Vertical Jump, Explosiveness)
- Big Body
- Ball Handling
- Transition plays
- Consistency in his game
J. R. Smith has not performed in a feature film yet.
However, he appeared in a documentary movie titled Little Ballers (2013) as himself.
We found several YouTube videos on his workouts which can be seen on the following links –
J. R. Smith Favorite Things
- Sneakers – Jordan I
- Christmas Gift – Leather NBA Ball
- Album – Juno soundtrack
Source – Complex.com
J. R. Smith Tattoos
- Smith has more than 70 tattoos. He got his first tattoo at the age of 15.
- He also has the Supreme logo tattooed on his calf.
J. R. Smith Facts
- In the 2004 NBA Draft, J. R. was selected as the 18th overall pick by the New Orleans Hornets.
- Smith averaged 10.3 points, 2.0 rebounds, and 1.9 assists in his rookie season with the Hornets.
- He appeared in the Sprite Rising Stars Slam Dunk Contest in 2005 and finished third behind Josh Smith and Amar’e Stoudemire.
- On July 14, 2016, Smith was part of a trade between New Orleans and the Chicago Bulls. He and Hornets’ center P. J. Brown were sent to the Bulls in substitute for Tyson Chandler.
- On July 20, 2006, J. R. transferred to Denver Nuggets after a trade deal between Chicago and the Nuggets.
- On February 10, 2009, he competed at the 2009 Slam Dunk Contest as a substitute for the injured Rudy Gay.
- Smith played in the Chinese Basketball League for the Zhejiang Golden Bulls during the 2011 NBA lockout.
- When the NBA lockout was officially over, J. R. went back to the NBA and signed a deal with the New York Knicks worth 2.4 million dollars.
- He won the NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award in 2013.
- On July 11, 2013, J. R. penned a new three-year deal with the Knicks worth 17.95 million dollars.
- On January 8, 2014, Smith was asked to pay 50,000 dollars because of his unsportsmanlike behavior when he repeatedly attempted to untie the shoelace of the opponent.
- On January 5, 2015, J. R. shifted to the Cleveland Cavaliers after a trade deal between Oklahoma City Thunder, New York Knicks and Cleveland Cavaliers happened.
- Smith extended his contract with the Cavaliers on September 2, 2015.
- During the 2013-2014 NBA season, J. R. played together with his younger brother in the New York Knicks.
- He and his fellow Carmelo Anthony were part of a car accident on February 2, 2007.
- On August 5, 2009, J. R. deactivated his Twitter profile because of a problem with his post writing that reflected the Bloods gang as he replaced c’s with k’s.
- NBA asked him to pay 25,000 dollars for posting a picture of American model Tahiry Jose on his Twitter profile in March 2012.
- In May 2012, Smith was handcuffed by the police because he did not appear in court after being charged in 2011 for driving a motor scooter without a valid license.