|Jack Geraghty Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||February 23, 1934|
Jack Geraghty is an American civic politician, journalist, and public relations consultant who has served as a member of the Spokane County Board of Commissioners as well as a staff journalist with the Spokane Daily Chronicle. Moreover, he was also elected as the 39th mayor of the city of Spokane in 1992.
John Vincent Geraghty, Jr.
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
Spokane, Spokane County, Washington, United States
Jack Geraghty studied at North Central High School, a 4-year public high school located in Spokane and graduated from there in 1952. During his time at the school, he used to participate in various extracurricular activities such as writing, editing, and producing the North Central News student newspaper.
Later, Jack Geraghty got enrolled at the University of Washington, a public research university located in Seattle, and graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism in 1956. He was also a member of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity.
Civic Politician, Journalist, Public Relations Consultant
- Father – John Vincent Geraghty, Sr. (Worked in advertising as art director and account executive on staff with Spokane-area agencies for over 45 years and was also a commercial watercolor artist as well as a member of the Spokane Water Color Society)
- Mother – Gladys Ida (née Johnson)
- Siblings – Michael Geraghty (Brother), Thomas Geraghty (Brother), Kathleen Whitbeck (Sister), Mary Sturm (Sister)
- Others – James M. Geraghty (Paternal Grandfather) (Politician), Nora Toolen (Paternal Grandmother)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jack Geraghty has dated –
- Marlene Curtis (1958-1997) – He got married to Marlene Curtis on April 19, 1958, at St Paschal’s Catholic Church in Spokane and the duo was blessed with 4 daughters, namely, Marcella Maile, Sheila Geraghty, Brigid Krause, and Nora Boyle. However, the couple divorced in 1997.
- Kerry Lynch (2001-Present) – In 2001, he married Kerry Lynch at St Joseph’s Church in the countryside outside Limerick, Ireland. They were married by Father Gerard O’Leary and Jack Geraghty became the stepfather of Kaitlin Larson and Meghan Johnson, Kerry Lynch’s daughters from her previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Irish-American descent.
Jack Geraghty Facts
- While studying at the University of Washington, he was elected as the president of the school’s student body and he also worked on the staff of The Daily of the University of Washington student newspaper.
- After graduating from college, he served in the US Army and during that time, he edited the Service Stripe military newspaper.
- Jack Geraghty was honored with the North Central High School Distinguished Alumnus Award as an inaugural recipient in 1997. Other people who also received the award included the former member of the National Transportation Safety Board and NASA’s Safety Advisory Group for Space Flight, Vernon L. Grose; US Congressman George Nethercutt; and musician Don Eagle who toured with the USO during WWII.
- He co-founded the Spokane Limerick Sister City Society alongside his wife Kerry Lynch.
- Jack Geraghty has been honored as a lifetime member of the University of Washington’s Alumni Association and the Department of Communication also recognized his contributions by granting him a membership to the Alumni Hall of Fame in 2011.
Featured Image by Kerry Lynch-Geraghty / Kerry Lynch-Geraghty / CC BY-SA 3.0