James Michael Bay
Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England, United Kingdom
James Bay went to the Hitchin Boys’ School.
After completing school education, he moved to Brighton to study at Brighton Institute of Modern Music (BIMM). One reason for getting enrolled at BIMM was that his girlfriend was already studying there.
Singer, songwriter, and guitarist
- Father – Is a wine merchant
- Mother – Worked as a fashion illustrator. She later started working at a dress shop.
- Siblings – Alex Bay (Older Brother)
James Bay is represented by London-based Closer Artists.
Indie, folk rock, soul, blues, country
Vocals, guitar, drums, and piano
Virgin EMI and Republic Records
6 ft or 183 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Bay has dated –
- Lucy Smith – James Bay is reported to be in a relationship with Lucy Smith. James had met her in his hometown in his teens. He has been pretty much with her since then and she was one of the motivations behind moving James to Brighton. He has kept her away from the spotlight to shield their relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
- Long Hair
- Loves to wear a fedora
His body measurements may be –
- Chest – 39 in or 99 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 13.5 in or 34 cm
- Waist – 31 in or 79 cm
James Bay had been featured in the TV ad for the Apple Music. The commercial was titled as Discovery and had Bay performing his hit single, Let it Go.
He has also done endorsement work for Tone King amplifiers, which are marketed Premier Builders Guild.
His religious views aren’t known.
Best Known For
- The critical acclaim garnered by his single, Let it Go, which managed to reach #10 position in UK charts.
- The commercial success of his studio album, Chaos and the Calm, which went on to reign at the top of UK music charts.
In March 2015, he released his debut studio album, Chaos and the Calm which charted at #15 on Billboard 200, and #1 on Ireland, UK, and Switzerland’s music charts.
James is yet to make an appearance in a theatrical movie.
First TV Show
In 2014, he made his TV show debut as a musical guest on the talk show, Late Night with Seth Meyers.
James Bay’s workout routine and diet plan aren’t available.
James Bay Favorite Things
- Song – Lean on Me
- Color – Purple
- Place – Hotel on Rivington on the Lower East Side of Manhattan
- Hat Brand – Akubra (Australian Brand)
- Leather Jacket – Black Saint Laurent leather jacket with fake snakeskin tassels
- Guitar Shop – Tom Guitar on Denmark Street in London
- Shoes – Dr. Martens Smooth Black Boot
- Breakfast – Cereals
- Barber Saloon – Joe & Co. in Soho, London
- Drink – Cup of tea and Malbec wine
- Childhood Obsessions – Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen
James Bay Facts
- He started his music career by performing on streets and in open mic nights in Brighton. He had been writing music for some years by then.
- He was discovered by the Republic Records through a video uploaded on YouTube. A fan had recorded him playing at open mic night in London. They flew him to New York City to hear more of his music.
- In September 2014, he was trending on Twitter after he stepped in at the last minute for Lana Del Rey in Fearne Cotton’s Live Lounge on Radio 1 and blew everyone away with his skeletal performance of Let it Go.
- Eric Clapton’s vintage single Layla inspired him to play guitar. He started off with five strings rusty guitar, which he had found in the cupboard of his home.
- James learned guitar on his own. Relying on his ear to guide him through as he practiced playing various popular songs, he quietly built a solid base before polishing off his skills at BIMM.
- Before his single Let it Go became a viral hit, he had to work in bars for his financial survival.
- In September 2014, he performed at the Burberry Prorsum Show during London Fashion Week. He also sat down for recording with Burberry Acoustic session.
- He titled his debut album, Chaos and the Calm to reflect on the dramatic changes his life had undergone after the success of his debut single.
- Visit his official website @ jamesbay.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, SongKick, and Soundcloud.