|James Calado Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||June 13, 1989|
James Calado is a British racing driver and TV personality. He is best known for winning the 2017 GT FIA World Endurance Championship driving for the Italian racing team AF Corse alongside Alessandro Pier Guidi.
James John Calado
Cropthorne, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom
Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, Wales
He attended Prince Henry’s High School in Evesham, Worcestershire, England, United Kingdom.
Racing Driver, TV Personality
- Others – Adam (Brother-in-Law), Andrea (Mother-in-Law), Ed (Father-in-Law) (Passed away in September 2019)
James Calado is managed by Nicolas Todt at All Road Management.
- 20 – Panasonic Jaguar Racing
- 51 – AF Corse
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Calado has dated –
- Lauren (née Watts) Calado – He is married to Lauren Calado and they have a daughter named Aurelia Calado, born on October 10, 2017, at 00:48 A.M., weighing 3.4 kg or 7.5 lbs.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Latino)
He is of Portuguese descent on his paternal side.
- Aquiline nose
- Mole under his left eye
James Calado has endorsed brands such as LEGO and Scalextric.
He also supported organizations such as UNICEF.
James Calado Favorite Things
- Dream Car (To Drive On The Track) – Michael Schumacher‘s 2004 Formula One Winning Car, Ferrari F2004
- Circuit In The WEC Calendar – Le Mans
- Corner In Le Mans – Indianapolis
Source – Ferrari
James Calado Facts
- Just like the majority of racing drivers, James started his career by driving a 60 cc kart at Cadets level in 1999. Unlike others, he competed extensively and only moved to single-seaters in 2008.
- His 1st job was washing dishes in a pub for £4 an hour. He then worked at Halfords, a British retailer of car parts, car enhancement, tools, and bicycles.
- At the age of 18, James worked in a betting shop. He considers it the worst job he ever had, primarily because he “smelled like an ashtray” because of people who smoked non-stop.
- His 1st car was a Peugeot 106 and he bought it for £800.
- James used to play tennis as a hobby but it never gave him the same feeling as “something with an engine in”.
- His career was sponsored by the Racing Steps Foundation. He was the 2nd racing driver funded by the organization that drove for Carlin Motorsport after Oliver Turvey.
- His 1st helmet was just white, then became fully red so his sponsor could spot him on the track. In 2013, he settled on a helmet he designed himself, with ‘J’ on one side, and ‘C’ on another. After a few refinements at the advice of a graphic designer, he decided to stick with the design.
- James was a part of a horrific crash during the qualifications for Le Mans in 2014 and suffered 2 brain hemorrhages. According to doctors, if he hit the wall 7 mph or 11 km/h faster, he would’ve been dead.
- For the cardio portion of his workouts, he does paddle boarding and cycling.
- James doesn’t have any lucky charms or rituals before a race.
- Elon Musk is a big inspiration to him.
- James partnered up with Mitch Evans in the Panasonic Jaguar team on October 2, 2019, thus replacing Alex Lynn and driving their Jaguar I-Type 4 car.
- When he joined Formula E, he admitted to being on a “shortlist” because “probably 90% of drivers thought: “God, what is this, it looks awful”. The rapid development of electric car technology wasn’t something he expected either.
- One thing he cannot live without is his smartphone.
- Rumours (1977) by Fleetwood Mac and 2 albums by bands Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin are 3 albums he’d take to a deserted island.
Featured Image by James Calado / Instagram