|Elon Musk Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||June 28, 1971|
Elon Musk is a business magnate, industrial designer, inventor, investor, and engineer who is known as the founder, CEO, CTO, and chief designer of SpaceX; early investor, CEO, and product architect of Tesla, Inc.; founder of The Boring Company; co-founder of Neuralink; and co-founder and initial co-chairman of OpenAI. In 2018, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS). A pioneer in the field of artificial intelligence, he also hasn’t been spared from criticism and scrutiny for his unorthodox or unscientific stances and highly publicized controversies.
Elon Reeve Musk
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Bel Air, Los Angeles, California, United States (Until 2020)
Texas, United States
While in South Africa, Elon studied at private schools and attended Waterkloof House Preparatory School. He completed his high school education at Pretoria Boys High School.
In June 1989, Elon moved to Canada after obtaining Canadian citizenship through his Canadian-born mother. In Canada, Elon joined the Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, for undergraduate study.
After studying for 2 years at the university, Elon took a transfer in 1992, to the University of Pennsylvania. In May 1997, Elon graduated with 2 Bachelor’s degrees: a Bachelor of Science degree in physics from its College of Arts and Sciences, and a Bachelor of Science degree in economics from its Wharton School of Business.
After that, Elon moved to California in 1995 and decided to pursue a Ph.D. in applied physics and material science at Stanford University. But, just after 2 days, he left the course to start his own company in the field of the internet, renewable energy, and outer space.
Business Magnate, Engineer, Inventor, Investor, Producer
- Father – Errol Musk (Electromechanical Engineer, Pilot, Sailor)
- Mother – Maye Musk (Model, Dietician)
- Siblings – Kimbal Musk (Younger Brother) (Restaurateur, Philanthropist), Tosca Musk (Younger Sister) (Filmmaker, Founder of Musk Entertainment)
- Others – Walter Henry James Musk (Paternal Grandfather), Cora Amelia Robinson (Paternal Grandmother), Joshua Norman Haldeman (Maternal Grandfather), Winnifred “Wyn” Josephine Fletcher (Maternal Grandmother)
Elon Musk has a team of experts working for him and handling his appointments and schedules.
Elon Musk’s net worth was $151 billion on June 6, 2021, as per Forbes. He was the 3rd richest person on the planet.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Elon Musk has dated –
- Justine Wilson – Elon met Canadian author Justine Wilson at Ontario’s Queen’s University in the early 1990s. Their first date was an ice cream date in the study center at the University. After their graduation, they went their separate ways but they kept in contact and they married in January 2000. Unfortunately, their first son, Nevada Alexander Musk, died of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) just after 10 weeks from birth. Within the next 5 years, they managed to have 5 sons – twins (b. 2004) and triplets (b. 2006) through in-vitro fertilization. After their divorce in 2008, they have shared custody of their 5 sons.
- Talulah Riley (2008-2016) – Elon began dating English actress Talulah Riley in 2008. They were introduced by Whisky Mist’s promoter, which is the London-based West End club, in Mayfair. After being out for dates several times, they got married in 2010. In January 2012, Elon and Talulah briefly divorced, only to remarry in July 2013. Their 2nd divorce was finalized in late 2016.
- Cara Delevingne (2016) – It was RUMORed that he had an affair with English model, actress, and singer Cara Delevingne in 2016.
- Cameron Diaz (2013) – Elon started dating the American actress Cameron Diaz in March 2013. They dated for a few months and got separated in the same year.
- Amber Heard (2016-2017, 2017-2018) – Elon had been interested in meeting the gorgeous actress Amber Heard since he ran into her during the shooting of the film Machete Kills in 2013. But, Amber was in a relationship with Johnny Depp back then. After filing for divorce from Johnny Depp, Amber and Elon were seen spending time with each other in 2016. They were first spotted in Miami, at the Delano South Beach in July 2016, where they were both staying. But just a year later, Amber split citing conflicting work schedules. In December 2017, they got back together. But, again, the couple split in February 2018.
- Grimes (2018-Present) – Musician Grimes started dating Elon in 2018. On May 4, 2020, Elon and Grimes had their first child together, a son named, X Æ A-12. The name was later changed to X Æ A-Xii so as to go with the Californian laws because the law does not allow the use of the numbers in the name. X Æ A-Xii is pronounced as Ex Ash A Twelve.
Race / Ethnicity
He has English, French Huguenot, Afrikaner/Dutch, Scottish, and German/Swiss-German ancestry.
- Squared jawline
- Wide high forehead
He does not believe in God, but in destiny.
He neither prays nor worships any being.
Best Known For
- Being the founder, CEO, and lead designer of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect of Tesla Inc.; co-founder of SolarCity and Zip2; founder of X.com: which merged with Confinity and took the name PayPal; co-chairman of OpenAI; founder and CEO of Neuralink, and founder of The Boring Company
- His resolve to change the world and humanity through sustainable energy production and consumption.
- Working on establishing a sustainable human colony and cheaper mode of travel to planet Mars. Once, he said, “I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact.”
- Envisioning a high-speed transportation system known as the Hyperloop
In 2010, Elon made his theatrical film debut as himself in Iron Man 2.
First TV Show
In 2008, Elon made his first TV show appearance in the popular TV series 60 Minutes.
Elon is a workaholic. He works nearly 100 hours each week, and finding time to exercise can be really difficult for him. But, he manages to do a cardio workout on the treadmill and lifts weights, once or twice a week.
He does not follow any diet. Rather, he takes light lunch during meetings and he is not a breakfast person. He takes a lot of coffee and can be called a coffee addict.
Elon Musk Favorite Things
- James Bond Movie – Moonraker
- James Bond Actor – Roger Moore
- Food – French food, Barbecue
- Drink – Whiskey
- Teacher – His elementary school principal who taught math.
Source – Inverse.com, CBSNews.com
Elon Musk Facts
- As a child, he was an avid reader. He spent around 5 hours reading.
- He was bullied a lot in school because of his intelligence.
- During his student life at the University of Pennsylvania, Elon and his friend rented a 10-bedroom fraternity house and used it as an unofficial nightclub to earn extra money.
- Robert Downey Jr.‘s character Tony Stark in Iron Man was inspired by Elon’s real-life character in a much flamboyant way.
- He has a collection of mansions.
- He was inducted into the International Space Hall of Fame in 2014 and has also been inducted into the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame.
- In January 2018, Elon was listed as the 53rd richest person in the world by Forbes.
- He believes in the existence of artificial intelligence in the universe and has often spoken about its potential dangers.
- He has claimed, “I’m personally a moderate and a registered independent, so I’m not strongly Democratic or strongly Republican.”.
- He supported Kanye West‘s independent run for president in July 2020.
- On November 16, 2020, Elon’s stocks on Wall Street skyrocketed which helped him become the 3rd richest person in the world by passing over Mark Zuckerberg. Elon’s net worth had increased by $15 billion after S&P had announced to include Tesla in the fold along with other prestigious companies of the world.
- He founded both Tesla and SpaceX while in California. He is credited for being the co-founder of Tesla along with 4 other members. However, initially, he had started as a chief investor in the company contributing $6.5 million out of $7.5 million raised.
- In December 2020, he relocated to Texas from California. This move helped him save some income tax as Texas (at that time) did not collect personal income tax.
- On December 17, 2020, Elon was at #2 on the world’s richest people list prepared by Bloomberg with a net worth of $151 billion. His net worth had increased by $123 billion in 2020 alone (till December 17) which was the highest ever jump for any person in that year.
- Later in early January 2021, he had become the richest person on the planet surpassing Amazon’s Jeff Bezos.
- He had started the year 2020 with nearly $27 billion net worth which barely included him in the Top 50 richest people.
- Throughout his life, he has been very passionate about his Mars project and once revealed that “If humanity doesn’t land on Mars in my lifetime, I would be very disappointed.”.
- He was accused of spreading misinformation about COVID-19 by Angela Rasmussen, a virologist and associate research scientist at the Center of Infection and Immunity at the Columbia University School of Public Health, in 2020.
- In February 2021, Elon Musk’s electric carmaking company Tesla had invested $1.5 billion in the cryptocurrency, Bitcoin. After this investment announcement was made, Bitcoin reached an all-time high of over $46,000. Tesla was also planning to accept Bitcoin as a form of payment.
- In February 2021, he bought some Dogecoins (a form of cryptocurrency) for his son X Æ A-12.
- Elon Musk’s brother Kimbal Musk who has also served as the board member of Tesla sold 30,000 shares of Tesla in February 2021, worth $25.6 million. At that time, he still had 599,740 shares of the company.
- As per Bloomberg Billionaires Index, on February 16, 2021, Elon had slipped to 2nd position in the “World’s Richest Persons” list. Elon had lost $4.6 billion after Tesla’s shares had gone down by 2.4%. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos had once again claimed the 1st position.
- In May 2021, Elon Musk (who was the world’s second-richest person at that time) completed 6 Tesla targets out of 12 which were presented to him in 2018, and as a result, he was given the right to buy 50.66 million Tesla shares at $70.01 per share. At that time, the single Tesla share was trading at $700. Hence, his package was worth $35.3 billion.
- On May 8, 2021, he had hosted Saturday Night Live (SNL). That episode of SNL was live-streamed globally which happened for the first time in the history of SNL. After his SNL appearance, Dogecoin dropped in value after Elon called it a ‘hustle’.
- In May 2021, he revealed that he has Asperger syndrome.
- Elon Musk has been included in Time magazine’s list of 100 Most Influential People in the world in 2010, 2013, and 2018.
- Due to his contribution to the Tham Luang cave rescue, he has received the award of the Order of the Direkgunabhorn.
- In 2021, Elon Musk’s SpaceX was accepting Dogecoin to launch a satellite named DOGE-1 to the moon.
- In May 2021, Elon paused accepting Bitcoins from the customers who wanted to purchase a Tesla car due to environmental concerns (increasing use of fossil fuels for Bitcoin mining and transactions). This made Bitcoin tumble over 12% in 24 hours.
- In May 2021, he had lost his place of being the second-richest person in the world to LVMH Chairman Bernard Arnault after the shares of Tesla Inc dropped by 2.2%. At that time, Elon Musk’s net worth was $160.6 billion.
- On May 20, 2021, Elon revealed that he would never sell any of his Dogecoin holdings.
- In June 2021, Elon was targeted by a group of hackers because of the influence he had over the cryptocurrency market due to his tweets.
- In 2018, Elon Musk did not pay any federal income tax as per IRS data acquired by ProPublica.
Featured Image by Steve Jurvetson / Flickr / CC BY-2.0