|Elon Musk Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||June 28, 1971|
Elon Musk is a business magnate, industrial designer, inventor, investor, and engineer who is known as the founder, CEO, CTO, and chief designer of SpaceX; early investor, CEO, and product architect of Tesla, Inc.; founder of The Boring Company; co-founder of Neuralink; and co-founder and initial co-chairman of OpenAI. In 2018, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS). A pioneer in the field of artificial intelligence, he also hasn’t been spared from criticism and scrutiny for his unorthodox or unscientific stances and highly publicized controversies.
Elon Reeve Musk
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Bel Air, Los Angeles, California, United States (Until 2020)
Texas, United States
While in South Africa, Elon studied at private schools and attended Waterkloof House Preparatory School. He completed his high school education at Pretoria Boys High School.
In June 1989, Elon moved to Canada after obtaining Canadian citizenship through his Canadian-born mother. In Canada, Elon joined Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, for undergraduate study.
After studying for 2 years at the university, Elon took a transfer in 1992, to the University of Pennsylvania. In May 1997, Elon graduated with 2 Bachelor’s degrees: a Bachelor of Science degree in physics from its College of Arts and Sciences, and a Bachelor of Science degree in economics from its Wharton School of Business.
After that, Elon moved to California in 1995 and decided to pursue a Ph.D. in applied physics and material science at Stanford University. But, just after 2 days, he left the course to start his own company in the field of the internet, renewable energy, and outer space.
Business Magnate, Engineer, Inventor, Investor, Producer
- Father – Errol Musk (Electromechanical Engineer, Pilot, Sailor)
- Mother – Maye Musk (Model, Dietician)
- Siblings – Kimbal Musk (Younger Brother) (Restaurateur, Philanthropist), Tosca Musk (Younger Sister) (Filmmaker, Founder of Musk Entertainment)
- Others – Walter Henry James Musk (Paternal Grandfather), Cora Amelia Robinson (Paternal Grandmother), Joshua Norman Haldeman (Maternal Grandfather), Winnifred “Wyn” Josephine Fletcher (Maternal Grandmother)
Elon Musk has a team of experts working for him and handling his appointments and schedules.
Elon Musk’s net worth was $176 billion in December 2022, as per Forbes. He was the 2nd richest person on the planet.
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Elon Musk has dated –
- Justine Wilson – Elon met Canadian author Justine Wilson at Ontario’s Queen’s University in the early 1990s. Their first date was an ice cream date in the study center at the University. After their graduation, they went their separate ways but they kept in contact and they married in January 2000. Unfortunately, their first son, Nevada Alexander Musk, died of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) just after 10 weeks from birth. Within the next 5 years, they managed to have 5 sons – twins (b. 2004) and triplets (b. 2006) through in-vitro fertilization. After their divorce in 2008, they have shared custody of their 5 sons. In June 2022, it was revealed that one of the twins had filed paperwork to change her name to “Vivian Jenna Wilson”. In the documents, Vivian revealed that she was filing the papers as she no longer wished to be related to Elon and wanted to be recognized as a female.
- Talulah Riley (2008-2016) – Elon began dating English actress Talulah Riley in 2008. They were introduced by Whisky Mist’s promoter, which is the London-based West End club, in Mayfair. After being out for dates several times, they got married in 2010. In January 2012, Elon and Talulah briefly divorced, only to remarry in July 2013. Their 2nd divorce was finalized in late 2016.
- Cara Delevingne (2016) – It was RUMORed that he had an affair with an English model, actress, and singer Cara Delevingne in 2016.
- Cameron Diaz (2013) – Elon started dating the American actress Cameron Diaz in March 2013. They dated for a few months and got separated in the same year.
- Amber Heard (2016-2017, 2017-2018) – Elon had been interested in meeting the gorgeous actress Amber Heard since he ran into her during the shooting of the film Machete Kills in 2013. But, Amber was in a relationship with Johnny Depp back then. After filing for divorce from Johnny Depp, Amber and Elon were seen spending time with each other in 2016. They were first spotted in Miami, at the Delano South Beach in July 2016, where they were both staying. But just a year later, Amber split citing conflicting work schedules. In December 2017, they got back together. But, again, the couple split in February 2018.
- Grimes (2018-2021) – Musician Grimes started dating Elon in 2018. On May 4, 2020, Elon and Grimes had their first child together, a son named, X Æ A-12. The name was later changed to X Æ A-Xii so as to go with the Californian laws because the law does not allow the use of the numbers in the name. X Æ A-Xii is pronounced as Ex Ash A Twelve. They reportedly broke up in September 2021, after dating for almost 3 years. In March 2022, it was revealed that the couple had secretly welcomed a 2nd child in December 2021 via surrogacy, a daughter named Exa Dark Sideræl Musk.
- Nicole Shanahan (2021) – In July 2022, the news of Elon and Google co-founder Sergey Brin‘s ex-wife Nicole Shanahan’s dating surfaced. They reportedly dated for a brief time in December 2021. Some believe that it also led to a divorce between Nicole and Sergey in January 2022. It also reportedly ended the long friendship between Musk and Sergey. In July 2022, Sergey also allegedly ordered to sell all his personal investments in Elon Musk’s companies. However, all these rumors were trashed by Elon when he posted a picture of himself partying with Sergey Brin in July 2022.
- Natasha Bassett (2022-Present) – In February 2022, Elon started dating Australian actress, Natasha Bassett (aged 27, at that time). They were already friends. Even some days ago, she was seen leaving Musk’s private jet in Los Angeles.
- Shivon Zilis – In July 2022, it was reported that Elon had welcomed twins with Shivon Zilis, one of the top executives at brain-chip startup, Neuralink, in November 2021 via IVF (in vitro fertilization). They were never involved in any romantic relationship. In April 2022, they had filed a petition to change the last name of the kids to ‘Zilis Musk’ which was approved in May 2022. She first met Elon in 2016 after she joined OpenAI, an artificial intelligence research laboratory co-founded in late 2015 by Elon, as a director. Later, as the director of operations and special projects at Neuralink, a neurotechnology company that was also co-founded by him, she began reporting directly to Elon. In 2020, she stated that Elon was the person that she admired the most in the world, despite all the criticism against him.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English, smaller amounts of Scottish, German/Swiss-German, Afrikaner (French Huguenot, Dutch, German, Belgian, remote Swedish, Indonesian, and Malaysian), and distant Welsh descent.
- Squared jawline
- Wide high forehead
He does not believe in God, but in destiny.
He neither prays nor worships any being.
Best Known For
- Being the founder, CEO, and lead designer of SpaceX; co-founder, CEO, and product architect of Tesla Inc.; co-founder of SolarCity and Zip2; founder of X.com: which merged with Confinity and took the name PayPal; co-chairman of OpenAI; founder and CEO of Neuralink, and founder of The Boring Company
- His resolve to change the world and humanity through sustainable energy production and consumption.
- Working on establishing a sustainable human colony and cheaper mode of travel to planet Mars. Once, he said, “I would like to die on Mars. Just not on impact.”
- Envisioning a high-speed transportation system known as the Hyperloop
In 2010, Elon made his theatrical film debut as himself in Iron Man 2.
First TV Show
In 2008, Elon made his first TV show appearance in the popular TV series 60 Minutes.
Elon is a workaholic. He works nearly 100 hours each week, and finding time to exercise can be really difficult for him. But, he manages to do a cardio workout on the treadmill and lifts weights, once or twice a week.
He does not follow any diet. Rather, he takes light lunch during meetings and he is not a breakfast person. He takes a lot of coffee and can be called a coffee addict.
Elon Musk Favorite Things
- James Bond Movie – Moonraker
- James Bond Actor – Roger Moore
- Food – French food, Barbecue
- Drink – Whiskey
- Teacher – His elementary school principal who taught math.
Source – Inverse.com, CBSNews.com
Elon Musk Private Jets
- In 2004, he had purchased a private jet called Dassault Falcon 900B.
- In March 2016, he had purchased another private jet – Gulfstream G650ER.
- In August 2020, he bought a preowned Gulfstream G550 jet and another one in September 2021. With this, he was owning 4 private jets.
- In 2022, he was rumored to have placed an order for purchasing another private jet – Gulfstream G700 worth $78 million.
Elon Musk Facts
- As a child, he was an avid reader. He spent around 5 hours reading.
- He was bullied a lot in school because of his intelligence.
- During his student life at the University of Pennsylvania, Elon and his friend rented a 10-bedroom fraternity house and used it as an unofficial nightclub to earn extra money.
- Robert Downey Jr.‘s character Tony Stark in Iron Man was inspired by Elon’s real-life character in a much flamboyant way.
- He has a collection of mansions.
- He was inducted into the International Space Hall of Fame in 2014 and has also been inducted into the Entrepreneur Hall of Fame.
- In January 2018, Elon was listed as the 53rd richest person in the world by Forbes.
- He believes in the existence of artificial intelligence in the universe and has often spoken about its potential dangers.
- He has claimed, “I’m personally a moderate and a registered independent, so I’m not strongly Democratic or strongly Republican.”.
- He supported Kanye West‘s independent run for president in July 2020.
- On November 16, 2020, Elon’s stocks on Wall Street skyrocketed which helped him become the 3rd richest person in the world by passing over Mark Zuckerberg. Elon’s net worth had increased by $15 billion after S&P had announced to include Tesla in the fold along with other prestigious companies of the world.
- He founded both Tesla and SpaceX while in California. He is credited for being the co-founder of Tesla along with 4 other members. However, initially, he had started as a chief investor in the company contributing $6.5 million out of the $7.5 million raised.
- In December 2020, he relocated to Texas from California. This move helped him save some income tax as Texas (at that time) did not collect personal income tax.
- On December 17, 2020, Elon was #2 on the world’s richest people list prepared by Bloomberg with a net worth of $151 billion. His net worth had increased by $123 billion in 2020 alone (till December 17) which was the highest ever jump for any person in that year.
- Later in early January 2021, he had become the richest person on the planet surpassing Amazon’s Jeff Bezos.
- He had started the year 2020 with nearly $27 billion net worth which barely included him in the Top 50 richest people.
- Throughout his life, he has been very passionate about his Mars project and once revealed that “If humanity doesn’t land on Mars in my lifetime, I would be very disappointed.”.
- He was accused of spreading misinformation about COVID-19 by Angela Rasmussen, a virologist and associate research scientist at the Center of Infection and Immunity at the Columbia University School of Public Health, in 2020.
- In February 2021, Elon Musk’s electric carmaking company Tesla had invested $1.5 billion in the cryptocurrency, Bitcoin. After this investment announcement was made, Bitcoin reached an all-time high of over $46,000. Tesla was also planning to accept Bitcoin as a form of payment.
- In February 2021, he bought some Dogecoins (a form of cryptocurrency) for his son X Æ A-12.
- Elon Musk’s brother Kimbal Musk who has also served as a board member of Tesla sold 30,000 shares of Tesla in February 2021, worth $25.6 million. At that time, he still had 599,740 shares of the company.
- As per Bloomberg Billionaires Index, on February 16, 2021, Elon had slipped to 2nd position in the “World’s Richest Persons” list. Elon had lost $4.6 billion after Tesla’s shares had gone down by 2.4%. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos had once again claimed the 1st position.
- In 2018, Elon received a 10-year compensation package from Tesla for a humongous $56 billion. 70% of shareholders also voted in favor of it. However, a person, who wanted the package to be canceled, had moved to the U.S. court because of the generous compensation for Elon Musk.
- In May 2021, Elon Musk (who was the world’s second-richest person at that time) completed 6 Tesla targets out of 12 which were presented to him in 2018, and as a result, he was given the right to buy 50.66 million Tesla shares at $70.01 per share. At that time, a single Tesla share was trading at $700. Hence, his package was worth $35.3 billion.
- On May 8, 2021, he had hosted Saturday Night Live (SNL). That episode of SNL was live-streamed globally which happened for the first time in the history of SNL. After his SNL appearance, Dogecoin dropped in value after Elon called it a ‘hustle’.
- In May 2021, he revealed that he has Asperger syndrome.
- Elon Musk has been included in Time magazine’s list of 100 Most Influential People in the world in 2010, 2013, and 2018.
- Due to his contribution to the Tham Luang cave rescue, he has received the award of the Order of the Direkgunabhorn.
- In 2021, Elon Musk’s SpaceX was accepting Dogecoin to launch a satellite named DOGE-1 to the moon.
- In May 2021, Elon paused accepting Bitcoins from the customers who wanted to purchase a Tesla car due to environmental concerns (increasing use of fossil fuels for Bitcoin mining and transactions). This made Bitcoin tumble over 12% in 24 hours.
- In May 2021, he had lost his place of being the second-richest person in the world to LVMH Chairman Bernard Arnault after the shares of Tesla Inc dropped by 2.2%. At that time, Elon Musk’s net worth was $160.6 billion.
- On May 20, 2021, Elon revealed that he would never sell any of his Dogecoin holdings.
- In June 2021, Elon was targeted by a group of hackers because of the influence he had over the cryptocurrency market due to his tweets.
- In 2018, Elon Musk did not pay any federal income tax as per IRS data acquired by ProPublica.
- In September 2021, he got a new Shiba Inu dog named Floki. After he introduced his dog to his Twitter followers, the Floki-themed cryptocurrency increased by nearly 958% in the next 24 hours.
- In September 2021, he donated $50 million to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. With this, he helped in exceeding the $200 million goal of the Inspiration4 spaceflight mission.
- In October 2021, Elon’s SpaceX had crossed $100 billion in valuation. In February 2021, it was $74 billion in valuation. With this achievement, SpaceX had become the world’s second most valuable private company just behind Bytedance.
- In mid-October 2021, Elon Musk’s net worth had crossed $250 billion as per Bloomberg Billionaires Index. At that time, a single Tesla stock was at nearly $910. At that time, the world’s second-richest person Jeff Bezos’s net worth was around $193 billion.
- In November 2021, Elon had lost $50 billion from his net worth in a couple of trading sessions after the Tesla stock dropped by over 15%. It became the biggest two-day decline in the history of the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. The stock price had dropped after the majority of Twitter users voted ‘Yes’ in a poll in which Elon had asked if he should sell 10% of the Tesla stock.
- In 2021, Musk was ranked #4 in the list of “50 Most Influential People on Twitter” as per Brandwatch Consumer Research. Taylor Swift was ranked #1.
- In December 2021, Elon was named Time magazine’s “Person of the Year”.
- Elon Musk was ranked #6 in the list of the world’s most admired men of 2021 as per data company, YouGov. Barack Obama had topped the list.
- In December 2021, Elon revealed that he had paid $11 billion in taxes that year.
- In January 2022, Elon agreed to eat a happy meal on live television if McDonald’s would accept Dogecoin (a form of cryptocurrency).
- In January 2022, Elon offered $5,000 to a 19-year-old college freshman named Jack Sweeney to delete his own Twitter account @ElonJet which tracks the movement of Musk’s private jet N628TS. However, Jack demanded $50,000 for the same task. Later, Jack got a job offer from the development team of the US-based private charter flight firm Stratos Jet Charters.
- In January 2022, he called then-US President Joe Biden a ‘damp sock puppet’ for not inviting Tesla to the White House event on EVs. Later, in February 2022, Joe Biden had finally recognized Tesla as the largest electric vehicle manufacturer in the United States.
- In January 2022, Elon’s company, Neuralink was accused of animal abuse. In February 2022, the company admitted to killing 8 monkeys during research experiments.
- In February 2022, he was out of the $200-billion club as his net worth had fallen by over $13 billion in a single day amid Ukraine-Russia war tensions. He still remained the world’s richest person at that time.
- In March 2022, it was revealed that Elon was resigning from the board of Endeavor.
- He used to do sumo wrestling as well in the past. Once he smashed a sumo wrestler which affected his c5-c6 disc and a huge 8 years of tremendous back pain.
- In November 2020, he suffered from the corona. Later in March 2022, he was suffering from COVID-19 for the second time.
- In early April 2022, Elon revealed that he bought over 9% passive stake in Twitter which made him the largest single shareholder of the company as, at that time, Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey was owning just a 2.25% stake in Twitter. This news made Twitter’s stock price surge by over 20% in pre-market trading. After becoming Twitter’s largest stakeholder, it was revealed that Elon had officially joined Twitter‘s board. However, it was later announced that Elon was no longer joining Twitter‘s board.
- Just a couple of days after he announced that he was the largest stakeholder of Twitter, he was replaced by US’ Vanguard Group with a 10.3% stake.
- In April 2022, Elon was sued by Twitter shareholders, claiming that Elon was 10 days late in properly disclosing his purchases after amassing more than 5% of Twitter shares.
- Later in April 2022, Elon offered to buy Twitter entirely for $43 billion ($54.20 per share which was at a premium of 54% compared to January 28, 2022’s closing price) in cash as he believed in the company. He told that he purchased the company, Twitter Inc, in April 2022 itself for $44 billion. However, the deal was canceled by him later in July 2022. After that, this acquisition case was being handled by a U.S. court. The deal closed by October 2022 end and Elon had taken over control of Twitter.
- As of April 2022, Elon didn’t own a home and stayed at his friends’ places.
- In April 2022, Elon revealed that his personal consumption was low with one exception, i.e. an airplane. However, if he didn’t use the plane, he would have less hours to work.
- In April 2022, he revealed that he had kept ready $46.5 billion in financing to buy Twitter. He already had $21 billion while he managed to secure the remaining $25.5 billion in debt financing from Morgan Stanley and other financial institutions. Later that month, it was revealed that Twitter had accepted his offer to purchase the social media company. The estimated value of the sale was around $44 billion. In mid-May 2022, he revealed that the Twitter deal was on hold due to the spam accounts calculation if they were actually less than 5%. Due to this, Twitter stock opened at over a 20% discount in pre-market trading. The deal was canceled by Elon in July 2022.
- He has walked the Met Gala 2022 red carpet along with his mother Maye.
- In May 2022, it was revealed that Elon had been accused of s*xual misconduct (exposing himself, rubbing her leg without her consent, etc) by a SpaceX flight attendant who claimed that he exposed himself to her mid-flight (while heading to London) in 2016. Later in 2018, SpaceX reportedly settled the claim by paying $250,000.
- In June 2022, he (and his companies SpaceX and Tesla) was sued by Keith Johnson, a dogecoin investor, for $258 billion for running a pyramid scheme. His lawsuit demanded that Musk should stop promoting Dogecoin.
- On the occasion of his 51st birthday in June 2022, he completed 100 million followers on Twitter. With that, he became the 6th most-followed account on Twitter. At that time, Barack Obama had the highest number of followers on Twitter – 132.1 million.
- In the first half of 2022 (until June 2022 end), Elon Musk lost $61.8 billion of personal wealth due to a decline in stock prices.
- Because he was feeling a little bored, he took a pause of 10 days from Twitter (aka digital detox) and returned back in early July 2022. His last tweet was on June 22, 2022. This was his longest-ever break from the digital platform in nearly the last 5 years.
- In July 2022, Elon announced that he was terminating his proposed deal to buy Twitter and also revealed that the company was in “breach” of their merger agreement. According to Musk, Twitter failed to give information on fake accounts. However, the Twitter board was committed to closing the buyout transaction and was looking to take legal action against Musk. Later that month, it was revealed that Twitter was suing Elon after he refused to move forward with the $44 billion takeover of the company. However, in October 2022, Elon reached a final agreement in the Twitter acquisition deal and had agreed to pay $54.20 per each stock of Twitter.
- In July 2022, it was revealed that Elon’s father Errol, at the age of 76, had birthed a secret child with his stepdaughter, Jana Bezuidenhout, 35 years old, at that time. He had fathered 2 children with Jana – first in 2017 and second in 2019. The second one was unplanned.
- In April 2022, Elon had sold $8.5 billion worth of Tesla shares.
- In August 2022, it was revealed that Elon Musk had sold $6.9 billion worth of Tesla stocks (7.92 million shares). Post this, he was left with a 15% stake in the company.
- In August 2022, Elon joked that he was buying the English soccer team Manchester United. At that time, the soccer team had a market capitalization of $2.08 billion. It was owned by the American Glazer family and they had also bought it in 2005 for $955.51 million.
- In August 2022, Elon revealed that he had already lost 9 kg (or ~20 pounds) from his peak weight as he was fasting periodically. He also started lifting light weights.
- In October 2022, Elon Musk entered the celebrity beauty space and introduced a new perfume line, Burnt Hair. He was selling it for $100 a bottle on The Boring Company’s website which was an omnigender product. According to Elon, he had already sold 20,000 bottles within a day of launch.
- In October 2022, it was reported that Elon was planning to fire 75% of Twitter employees.
- After taking over control of Twitter in October 2022 end, he fired many top-level executives including Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal, CFO Ned Segal, and legal head Vijaya Gadde.
- After taking full control of Twitter in 2022, Elon-led Twitter confirmed that they had permanently suspended the Twitter account of Donald Trump as it posed a risk of further incitement of violence. Also, as per The Wall Street Journal, many biggest brands were ready to stop their advertising on Twitter if Twitter allowed Donald Trump once again on the platform.
- For Halloween 2022, Elon Musk had worn a $7,500 leather costume which was listed as Devil’s Champion on a website.
- In November 2022, Elon Musk confirmed that he had increased the price of the verified blue tick mark on Twitter from $5 a month to $8 per month. However, many people complained about that. In late November 2022, he paused the relaunch of the Blue Verified after the impersonation storm.
- In November 2022, Elon’s aluminum statue was unveiled which was commissioned by the cryptocurrency firm Elon GOAT Token ($EGT). It was a 30-foot-long statue worth $600,000. It showcased Elon’s head attached to the body of GOAT at the top of the rocket which had a 24k gold-plated thunder sign.
- In November 2022, Musk revealed that he had lost around 13.6 kilos or 30 lbs of body weight by fasting, having diabetes medication Ozempic/ Wegovy, and avoiding tasty food.
- In November 2022, Elon Musk revealed that if Apple and Google ever plan to ban Twitter from their app stores, then he would make an alternative phone.
- Elon was the seventh-most searched celebrity of 2022 on Google. Amber Heard had topped the list.
- On December 7, 2022, Elon Musk had lost the world’s richest person title briefly to LVMH’s Bernard Arnault as per the Forbes Real Time Billionaires list. Bernard and his family’s net worth had reached $185.8 billion and Musk’s wealth had dropped to $185.4 billion at that time.
- In December 2022, Elon announced that he would step down as the CEO of Twitter as soon as he would find an appropriate person for the job.
- In December 2022, Elon Musk became the first person in the world to lose $200 billion from his net worth. His wealth peaked at $340 billion in November 2021 which dropped to $137 billion by the end of December 2022. For the same reason, he entered the Guinness World Records book for the largest loss of personal fortune.
Featured Image by Steve Jurvetson / Flickr / CC BY-2.0