|Jamie Gillan Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||July 4, 1997|
Jamie Gillan is a Scottish professional American football player who has represented the Cleveland Browns (2019-2021), the Buffalo Bills (2021), and the New York Giants (2022-Present) in the NFL (National Football League), as a punter. For his performances in the 2019 season, he was included in the ‘PFWA (Pro Football Writers Association) All-Rookie Team’. He was not selected by any team at the 2019 NFL Draft but was signed up later that year by the Cleveland Browns. Jamie ended his rookie NFL season with 63 punts (a punt is a kick performed by dropping the ball from the hands and then kicking it before it hits the ground) for 2,913 yards (2,622 net yards) with 28 punts downed inside the 20-yard line.
The Scottish Hammer
Arbroath, Angus, Scotland, United Kingdom
Maryland, United States
Jamie had attended the Merchiston Castle School, an independent boarding school for boys in the suburb of Colinton in Edinburgh, Scotland. After moving to the United States, he studied at Leonardtown High School, a comprehensive public school in Leonardtown, Maryland.
After his high school graduation, he joined the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, a public historically black university in Pine Bluff, Arkansas. He had received a scholarship offer from the university through a Facebook invitation. There, he represented the Arkansas–Pine Bluff Golden Lions football program for 4 years.
Professional American Football Player
- Father – Colin Gillan (Member of the Royal Air Force, the United Kingdom’s air and space force)
- Siblings – Mhairi Gillan (Younger Sister)
He has been represented by –
- Bradley ‘Brad’ Cutler, Manager, The Cut Agency, Sports & Entertainment Marketing Firm, Miami, Florida, United States
- Bardia Ghahremani, Booking Agent, ISA Sports & Entertainment, Athlete Management Agency, Irvine, Orange County, California, United States
- 7 – Cleveland Browns
- 6, 17 – New York Giants
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
94 kg or 207 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of British descent.
- Toned physique
- Side-parted, shoulder-length, wavy, frizzy hair
- Cheerful smile
- Sports a thick beard
Jamie Gillan Facts
- Jamie, in his developmental years, used to play for Highland Rugby Club, a rugby union amateur club based in Inverness, a city in Scotland. He later played rugby at Merchiston Castle School in Edinburgh, Scotland. In 2013, aged 16, he moved to Leonardtown, Maryland, United States, where his father was stationed as a member of the Royal Air Force.
- Across his 4 years at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, Jamie recorded a total of 9,024 yards on 214 punts and averaged 42.2 yards per punt. He was included in the ‘First-team All-SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference)’ in both 2017 and 2018. SWAC is a collegiate athletic conference headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, and is made up of historically black colleges and universities in the Southern United States.
- In December 2022, while representing the New York Giants, in a game against the Philadelphia Eagles, he was flagged for a rare illegal kick penalty. He was attempting a punt but fumbled the snap and kicked the ball after it bounced off the ground. Although drop kicks are legal in the NFL during a field goal, the match officials ruled that Jamie’s kick was illegal and imposed a 10-yard penalty against the New York Giants.
- When Jamie moved from Scotland to the United States in 2013, he did so on a NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization; an intergovernmental military alliance between 30 member states that was established in the aftermath of World War II) visa through his father. This was never changed to a work visa, even after he joined the NFL. The situation caused him quite a bit of trouble in October 2022 when he traveled to London to play in a game with the New York Giants. The visa issue delayed his return to the United States and American diplomats had to intervene to update his visa.
Featured Image by Jamie Gillan / Instagram