|Jay Park Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Date of Birth
|April 25, 1987
|Fav Fashion Brand
Jay Park is a Korean American singer, songwriter, rapper, record producer, dancer, choreographer, entrepreneur, actor, and a member of the Seattle-based b-boy crew, Art of Movement (AOM). He is best known for being a member of the South Korean boy band 2PM of which he was the group leader. Besides this, Jay is also the owner of hip-hop record labels AOMG and H1ghr Music. He has a strong social media fan base with more than 4 million followers on Instagram and more than 2 million followers on Twitter.
Edmonds, Washington, United States
He divides his time between Seattle, United States, and Seoul, South Korea.
Park attended Edmonds Woodway High School. Later, he completed his further education from Dankook University.
Singer, Songwriter, Rapper, Record producer, Actor, Model, Dancer, Choreographer, Entrepreneur
- Father – Park Yong-jun
- Mother – Choi Mi-jung
- Siblings – Jehan Park (Brother)
- Jay was signed with JYP Entertainment until 2009.
- From 2010, he was being represented by SidusHQ.
- He is represented by Roc Nation in America.
Hip-Hop, R&B, K-Pop, Electronic
- JYP Entertainment
- H1ghr Music
- Roc Nation
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jay has not dated anyone publicly yet.
He has however described his ideal type to be someone experienced. In an interview, he said that his ideal woman would be someone like South Korean girl group Sistar‘s member, Bora.
Race / Ethnicity
He has a South Korean ancestry.
- Hand and Neck Tattoos
- Ear Piercings
- Eyebrow Slit
Jay has done endorsement work for brands like –
- KT Tech
- Umbro Korea
Best Known For
- Being the former group leader of the Korean Boy band, 2PM
- His first extended play titled Count on Me as a solo artist that peaked at number 1 on the ‘Gaon Music Chart’ and sold more than 41k units in Korea
- Releasing his first studio album New Breed in February 2012, that peaked at number 1 in Korea and was multi-platinum
- His third EP, New Breed Part 1 which released in December 2011, and peaked at number 1 on Billboard charts
Jay Park released his first studio album 01:59PM along with the band 2PM on November 10, 2009. The album peaked at #1 on the ‘Gaon Music Chart’ and sold more than 110k units in Korea.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance in Mnet’s Reality show Hot Blood Men in 2008.
Jay works out on a regular basis and so is evident from his well-sculpted body.
Jay Park Favorite Things
- Fashion Brand – Nike
Source – Wikipedia
Jay Park Facts
- He had a keen interest in hip hop music and breakdancing ever since he was a young boy and used to practice with friends between classes and in lunch breaks.
- In his early teens, he became interested in rap music and in 2003, he became a member of a Seattle-based breakdancing group called Art of Movement.
- After watching him spend more time practicing dance than study, his mother asked him to audition for the South Korean agency JYP Entertainment and in 2004, he was accepted as a trainee with the agency.
- In 2005, he finally moved to South Korea to further get trained in dance, rapping, and singing, and to learn the Korean language.
- He participated in Mnet‘s dance reality show Hot Blood Men in 2008 that showed the extreme training journey of 12 trainees who were to become a boy band called One Day that later divided into 2 boy bands namely 2AM and 2PM.
- In Hot Blood Men, Jay was placed on the top position because of the most fan votes and he eventually ended up being the leader of the boy band 2PM.
- He made his official debut with the boy band 2PM on September 4, 2008.
- In September 2009, he was caught up in a controversy where some disputed comments from 2005 towards Korea were discovered on his MySpace account. Although the comments were written in English, they were translated to their native language by Korean media and there were many negative articles floating around about him for which he later issued an official apology and expressed shame and regret over his forgotten words, and explained the unhappiness and loneliness he felt in his early training days in an alien land.
- After the controversy, many protesters claimed that he should be removed from 2PM but on September 7, 2009, JYP Entertainment‘s president announced that Jay would be continuing his carrier as part of 2PM.
- On September 8, 2009, following his controversy Jay revealed on his official Fancafe that he would be leaving the boy band and return to his hometown in the United States.
- Jay officially parted ways with 2PM in early 2010.
- He again attracted a lot of attention on social networking when he posted a cover of B.o.B’s track Nothin’ on You, that went viral on YouTube and garnered more than 2 million views in just 24 hours.
- In 2010, he released his first extended play titled Count on Me as a solo artist that peaked at number 1 on the Gaon Music Chart and sold more than 41k units in Korea. His first studio album New Breed released in February 2012, also peaked at number 1 in Korea and was multi-platinum.
- His third EP, New Breed Part 1 which released in December 2011, peaked at number 1 on Billboard charts.
- He was selected as a dance master for season 2 of Korean dance reality show Dancing 9 where his team won the show.
- On July 20th, 2017 Jay became the first Asian American to sign a contract with Roc Nation for his American endeavors.
- He also served as the judge for the second season of the famous reality show Asia’s Got Talent in 2017.
- He has worked with rappers like Dok2, The Quiett, and Cha Cha Malone.
- Jay went on to win “Musician of the Year” and “Best R&B and Soul Album” for Everything You Wanted at the Korean Music Awards in 2017. He also won “Artist Of The Year” again in 2018.
- In his ideal time, he likes to be indulged in playing basketball or listening to music.
- He also has his own music labels that go by the name of AOMG and H1ghr Music.
- Visit his official website @ jaypark.com.
Featured Image by 임윤아1 / Flikr / CC BY-SA 2.0