|Jean Shrimpton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||November 7, 1942|
Jean Shrimpton is an English model and actress who is said to be one of the world’s very first supermodels and a symbol from the Swinging Sixties period. Besides that, she has also earned a name for herself as an actress, especially known for her role as Vanessa in Privilege.
Jean Rosemary Shrimpton
Jean Cox, The Shrimp, Jeannie Shrimpton
High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England, United Kingdom
Jean studied at St Bernard’s Convent School, Slough. Later, at the age of 17, she joined Langham Secretarial College.
Model, Actress, Hotel Owner and Innkeeper, Antique Shop Owner, Antique Dealer
- Siblings – Chrissie Shrimpton (Younger Sister) (Model, Actress)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jean has dated –
- David Bailey (1960-1964)
- Terence Stamp
- Michael Cox (1979-Present) – She and photographer Michael Cox got married to one another in 1979. The couple has a child named Thaddeus (b. 1979). She and her husband own the Abbey Hotel in Penzance that they bought in the year 1980.
Race / Ethnicity
- Rectangular face shape
- Arched eyebrows
- Pouty lips
- Her fringe hairstyle
Jean has appeared in the commercials for various brands including –
- Pond’s Angel Face
- Kellogg’s corn flakes
Jean Shrimpton Favorite Things
- Short Stories – The Burning Baby, by Dylan Thomas
Source – The Guardian
Jean Shrimpton Facts
- She was raised on a farm alongside her younger sister Chrissie.
- Jean began modeling at the age of 17.
- She made her debut theatrical film appearance as Vanessa in Privilege in 1967.
- During the ’60s, she was known as the symbol of Swinging London.
- In 1963, Jean was named “Model of The Year” by Glamour.
- Over the years, Jean has appeared on the cover of various magazines including Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, Vanity Fair, Glamour, Elle, Ladies’ Home Journal, Newsweek, and Time.
- Harper’s Bazaar named her one of their 26 “Best Models of All Time” in 2009. Later, in 2012, Time magazine was listed Jean on its “All-TIME 100 Fashion Icons”.
- It was Jean’s work with photographer David Bailey that helped her make a big break in the modeling industry.
- At the peak of her modeling career, Jean was known as the “world’s highest-paid model”, “most famous model”, and also the “most photographed model in the world” amongst the many other titles. Besides that, it was also her fringe hairstyle that was much sought to in the ’60s.
- Jean once stated that she had a pet pony named Ricky.
- In the past, Jean was named Channel 5‘s “World’s greatest supermodel”.
Featured Image By Joost Evers / Anefo / Nationaal Archief / CC BY-SA 3.0 NL