|Jeff Garlin Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||June 5, 1962|
Jeff Garlin is an American comedian and actor who is well known for his portrayal of the characters of Jeff Greene in the comedy TV series Curb Your Enthusiasm, Mort Meyers in the sitcom Arrested Development (2005-2013), and Murray Goldberg in the sitcom The Goldbergs. He is also a voice artist and has lent his voice to characters in several movies and video games. He used to host a podcast called By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin (2013-2015) on the Earwolf network where he used to have hour-long unscripted discussions with various comedic personalities.
Jeffrey Todd Garlin
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Jeff studied at the Nelson Elementary School in Morton Grove, Illinois. After his family relocated to Florida, he joined and graduated from the Nova High School in Davie, Florida in 1980.
Post his graduation, he attended the Broward Community College in Lauderdale, Florida. He also had a brief stint at the University of Miami where he studied film but dropped out midway.
- Father – Gene Garlin (Businessman)
- Mother – Carole Garlin (née Crafton) (Theatre Artist)
- Siblings – Michael Garlin (Younger Brother)
- Others – Harry Grossman (Maternal Great Grandfather), Ida Grossman (Maternal Great Grandmother)
He is represented by –
- David Miner, Manager, 3 Arts Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California, United States
- Entertainment Booking Agency, United States
Observational Comedy, Black Comedy, Surreal Humor, Satire
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
118 kg or 260 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jeff has dated –
- Marla Beth Cahan (1992–2018) – Jeff got married to American casting director Marla Beth Cahan on July 24, 1994. They have 2 sons together named James Garlin (b. 1996) and Duke Garlin (b. 2000). After a marriage that lasted more than 2 decades, the couple began living separately in July 2017 and announced their intention to get a divorce in September 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Ashkenazi Jewish and Russian descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Bulky frame
- Short-cropped, wavy hair
Jeff appeared in Direct TV‘s NFL Sunday Ticket TV commercials in June 2005.
Jeff Garlin Favorite Things
- Role Model – Jimmy Durante
- Comedy Groups – Monty Python, The Mighty Boosh
- TV Series – The Office (UK), Fawlty Towers
- Radio Show – The Goon Show
- Baseball Team – Chicago Cubs
- American Football Team – Chicago Bears
- Food – Pudding
- Sport – Baseball
- Hobby – Photography
Jeff Garlin Facts
- Born in Chicago, Jeff grew up in Morton Grove, Illinois where his father used to run a plumbing supplies business called Bilko.
- He was interested in sports from a young age and used to play in school. However, he had to give up the pursuit once he was diagnosed with Wolff–Parkinson–White syndrome, a heart ailment. He underwent corrective surgery in Oklahoma City in his late 20s and was among the first 100 patients to undergo the procedure which was an innovation at that time.
- At the age of 8, he watched the renowned comedian Jimmy Durante perform in Chicago and was so impacted by the event that he decided to become a standup comedian.
- His father sold off his business when Jeff was in the 6th grade and the family moved to Florida.
- At the age of 22, Jeff returned to Chicago to pursue a career in standup comedy and began working with the comedy troupe The Second City.
- For a short while, in the late 1980s, he was a roommate with comedian and talk show host Conan O’Brien in Wrigleyville, Chicago. Conan was working as a comedy writer at that time. The two became good friends and when Conan was removed as host of The Tonight Show in 2010 to make way for the return of Jay Leno, Jeff had stated that he would never again feature as a guest on the show.
- Jeff has worked with comedians such as Denis Leary, Jon Stewart, and Larry David to help develop their comedy specials, as a stage director and script editor.
- He lent his voice to the character of Buttercup in the animated films Toy Story 3 (2010) and Toy Story 4 (2019).
- In February 2010, he released a book titled My Footprint: Carrying the Weight of the World, which documented his weight-loss journey as well as his attempts to lessen his carbon footprint.
- He has been a regular practitioner of transcendental meditation which has helped him combat the symptoms of ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). He has also suffered from Type II Diabetes which he has controlled with curbs on his diet and a customized exercise regimen.
- In September 2022, Jeff revealed that he was suffering from bipolar disorder.
Featured Image by Raph_PH / Flickr / CC BY-2.0