|Jesse Tyler Ferguson Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||October 22, 1975|
Jesse Tyler Ferguson is an actor famously known for his portrayal of Mitchell Pritchett on the comedy series, Modern Family. He is also a proficient theater actor and has appeared in many successful Broadway plays. Apart from acting, his other pursuits include a food blog which is dedicated to his undying love for food and different cuisines. He is openly gay and has been a prominent activist in lobbying for same-sex marriages. His wedding to his lawyer boyfriend Justin Mikita took place in 2013 and together, they have launched the Tie The Knot charity to further the cause of marriage equality.
Jesse Tyler Ferguson
Missoula, Montana, United States
He divides his time between –
- Los Angeles, California, United States
- New York City, New York, United States
From the age of 8 years, Jesse was a member of the Albuquerque Children’s Theater and continued there for the next 6 years. He went on to study at St. Pius X High School in Albuquerque and graduated in 1994. Then, he got enrolled at The American Musical and Dramatic Academy (AMDA) in New York City and graduated with fellow actress Meredith Patterson.
Actor, Singer, Activist
- Father – Robert Ferguson
- Mother – Anne Ferguson (née Doyle)
- Siblings – Ben Ferguson (Younger Brother), Kelly Ferguson (Younger Sister)
- Others – George William Ferguson (Paternal Grandfather), Jesse Wheat Uppercu Ferguson (Paternal Grandmother), Bernard Patrick Doyle (Maternal Grandfather), Edna Clarke (Maternal Grandmother)
Jesse is represented by the Gartner / Green Entertainment located in California.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jesse has dated –
- Zachary Quinto (2010) – Jesse has been linked with fellow actor Zachary Quinto in the past. In 2010, rumors swirled of a budding romance between the two. However, Jesse later cleared the air stating that they were never in a relationship but are very good friends.
- Justin Mikita (2010-Present) – Ferguson met lawyer Justin Mikita for the first time at the gym in 2010. However, he has jokingly mentioned that he lies about their first meeting saying that they met through mutual friends. After dating for 2 years, the couple announced their engagement online in September 2012. The following year, they got married on July 20, 2013, and their wedding ceremony was officiated by playwright and screenwriter, Tony Kushner. In 2017, he revealed that the duo was looking forward to becoming parents and usher in a new phase of their lives. On July 7, 2020, the couple welcomed their son, Beckett Mercer Ferguson-Mikita.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh, Dutch, German, and French ancestry.
Frequently wears bow-ties
Jesse has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Voya Financial (2016)
- Youth Service America (YSA) (2017)
- Google Pixel 3 (2018)
- The Great American Milk Drive (2014)
- Cartoon Network (2013)
- Absolut vodka (2018)
Best Known For
- His character Mitchell Pritchett on the hugely successful comedy series, Modern Family
- Being a prominent figure and activist for LGBT rights and marriage equality
As a Singer
In 2011, Jesse collaborated on the song My Lifelong Love along with artist Georgia Stitt for the album of the same name.
Jesse made his feature film debut as Ogden in the romance drama, Ordinary Sinner, in 2003. The film was also released in 2001 and 2002 during various film festivals.
First TV Show
He made his first TV show appearance as a guest on The Rosie O’Donnell Show in 1998.
In 2013, Jesse revealed that he runs for up to 4 miles on the treadmill apart from doing some form of abs workout on a daily basis. But, in order to ring in his 40th birthday in style, he enlisted the help of celebrity trainer Phil Catudal in 2015. The two worked around his filming schedule for Modern Family and Phil devised a workout regime that focused on HIIT full-body circuit workouts. The aim was to help Jesse get a tight stomach while sticking close to the general shape and size of his character on the show.
Post workout, he likes to indulge in a protein bar or an acai bowl and coffee. He has often reiterated that he loves food, especially, spicy dishes. So, Phil has worked out a healthy diet plan for him in which he also has plenty of room to experiment with new recipes.
On a typical day, his diet contains –
- Breakfast – He kicks starts his day with eggs, oatmeal, sausage, salsa, and coffee.
- Lunch – He likes to keep his mid-meal light and opts for recipes made with chicken.
- Dinner – For dinner, he usually eats out and indulges in some of his favorite foods.
Jesse Tyler Ferguson Favorite Things
- Screenwriter – Tony Kushner
- Movie – Clue (1985)
- Restaurants In Los Angeles – Night + Market Song, Terrine, The Ponte, Gwen
- Restaurants – Lilia (Brooklyn), Javelina (New York City), Juice Generation (New York), Cafe Gitane (New York City)
- Vacation Spot – Italy
- Spicy Recipes – Hatch Green Chile Eggs, Spicy Cauliflower Deviled Egg
- Dish – Sriracha Salmon recipe, Sweet-and-Sour Thai Basil Beef dish
- Candy – Good and Plentys
- Cookbook – Nom Nom Paleo
Jesse Tyler Ferguson Facts
- He was named after 2 members of his family – his paternal grandmother, to whom he was very attached to as a kid, and his paternal great-grandfather.
- Although born in Montana, Jesse grew up in Albuquerque as his family moved to New Mexico when he was 8 years old.
- While he was young, he used to work as a singer /dancer at Cliff’s Amusement Park in his hometown.
- When he joined the actor’s union, he decided to use his middle name to avoid confusion as there was already an actor named Jesse Ferguson at the time.
- He was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series at the Emmy Awards for 5 consecutive years from 2010 to 2014 for his role as the gay lawyer Mitchell Pritchell on Modern Family.
- The audiobook version of the 2018 children’s book, A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo, has Jesse voicing one of the actors.
- In September 2012, while announcing his engagement to partner Justin Mikita online, the couple also announced the launch of the non-profit charity ‘Tie The Knot’. The charity works towards raising funds in support of same-sex marriage by selling bow ties to retail.
- The limited-edition bow ties for Tie The Knot are designed by the couple and other guest designers and are sold by the Naperville, Illinois-based online men’s neckwear company The Tie Bar. The proceeds from the collection go to nationwide organizations working towards marriage equality.
- In January 2013, the couple lobbied legislators to pass SB10 in support of same-sex marriage. The bill passed both legislative houses and was signed by Governor Pat Quinn into a law coming into effect on June 1, 2014.
- The American Civil Liberties Union declared Ferguson as the celebrity ambassador for the LGBT community in October 2013.
- In November 2013, his foundation Tie The Knot opened a pop-up retail store at the Los Angeles Beverly Center. It featured the 4th collection from the couple as well as included professional athlete designs with Scott Fujita, Chris Kluwe, and Brittney Griner.
- Although Jesse has always been openly gay, he has revealed that he came out to his family thrice at the ages of 17, 19, and 21. He has further added that it was a process for his family as well and it took time for them to come around.
- He owns a pet dog named Leaf who was named after his character Leaf Coneybear in the Tony Award-winning Broadway production of The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.
- His love for food has inspired him to launch a food blog called Julie & Jessie with his longtime pal and chef, Julie Tanous.
- He also partnered with Chef Kris Morningstar, Brett Gurewitz, and Stephane Bombet to open the Terrine restaurant in Los Angeles in 2014. However, the place was shut down in 2017.
- In December 2015, Jesse revealed that doctors had found skin cancer on his face. He later shared on Instagram that he had received treatment for the same and has recovered from it.
- Visit his official website @ jessetylerferguson.com.
- Follow Jesse Tyler Ferguson on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Yahoo / Flickr / CC BY 2.0