|Neil Patrick Harris Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||June 15, 1973|
|Spouse||David Michael Burtka|
Neil Patrick Harris is an American actor with a few other distinguished traits up his sleeves. Harris has composed a lasting impression amongst the stars at Hollywood by winning several Emmy and Tony awards for his stage and screenplay performances. He is also a writer, singer, and magician who would like people to know about his early days in LA with his book Choose Your Own Autobiography that was also awarded the New York Times Bestseller. Neil Patrick Harris is best known for his Award-winning screenplay on the CBS sitcom of How I Met Your Mother as Barney Stinson and as the iconic and beloved Doogie Howser M.D. He has also starred in many movies and been the host for both Tony and Emmy Award shows multiple times.
Neil Patrick Harris
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
Harlem, New York City, United States
Neil Patrick Harris went to La Cueva High School in Albuquerque where he began to show a vocation for acting.
In the year 1991, he graduated with an honors degree.
Actor, Comedian, Singer, Host, Screenwriter, Dancer, Director, Magician, Television Producer
- Father – Ronald Gene Harris (Lawyer, Restaurant Owner)
- Mother – Sheila Gail née Scott (Lawyer, Restaurant Owner)
- Siblings – Brian Harris (Older Brother) (Manages the Family Restaurant Business)
- Others – George Thomas Harris Jr. (Paternal Grandfather), Martha Jeanne Henry (Paternal Grandmother), George Walter Scott (Maternal Grandfather), Delamae/Dellamae Eloise Hamilton (Maternal Grandmother)
Booh Schut Company
Hard Rock, Blues Rock, Show Tunes
He has released his music via 20th Century Fox TV Records and Columbia Records, etc.
6 ft or 183 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Neil Patrick Harris has dated –
- Max Von Essen – There were floating rumors that Neil used to date the actor Max Von Essen when he was a young boy.
- Robyn Lively (1992-1993) – Neil and his co-star, Robyn Lively, dated each other while they worked on the set of Doogie Howser M.D.
- Christine Taylor (1997-1998) – Neil Patrick Harris dated Christine, the wife of actor Ben Stiller, back in the days before he realized that he knew that he wasn’t going to feel the same way while they zinged together as he was a gay.
- Carla Bianco (2000) – Though there isn’t much evidence on Carla and Neil dating, it was believed that before Neil got together with David, he dated the #1 billboard songwriter and ASCAP award winner Carla Bianco.
- David Michael Burtka (2004-Present) – Actor and professional chef, David Burtka started dating Neil in 2004 but kept the information private until the same-sex marriage became legal. However, they were first spotted together publically at the 2007 Emmy Awards followed by an interview on The Ellen Degeneres Show where Neil officially spoke about his relationship with David. On September 6, 2014, they got married and made it official to the world through Twitter. Neil tweeted “Guess what?
@DavidBurtka and I got married over the weekend. In Italy. Yup, we put the ‘n’ and ‘d’ in ‘husband’.” Together, they have 2 surrogate twin children – a daughter named Harper Grace Burtka-Harris and a son Gideon Scott Burtka-Harris (b. October 2010).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English, Scottish, and German descent.
- His signature mussed-forward hairstyle
- Often plays the role of a vexatious character
- Often gets his singing abilities right into his character mode
Neil Patrick Harris has appeared in the TV commercials for –
- Old Spice (2008)
- Trident Xtra Care Gum (2008)
- Comcast’s “Xfinity Voice” (2011)
- Heneiken Light Beer in “Neil vs the director” (2014)
- iPhone (2016)
- Cigna (2017)
Neil’s parents raised him as an Episcopalian.
Best Known For
Playing the titular characters in Doogie Houser, M.D. (1983-93) and How I Met Your Mother (2005-14)
As a Singer
In his musical career, NPH has written and performed soundtracks for many of the series that he acts in, just like he did –
- In episodes of How I Met Your Mother with the song like Mom and Dad, Coming Back, and The Time Travellers,
- On Saturday Night Live as he sang Seasons of Love with Taylor Swift, and
- Dream On in the TV series Glee
Apart from the above-mentioned songs, Neil Patrick Harris has also performed many more soundtracks.
In 1988, Neil Patrick Harris starred in his first theatrical film Clara’s Heart, an American drama film based on Jason Olshan’s novel with the legendary actress Whoopie Goldberg.
First TV Show
In 1989, he made his TV show debut in the detective drama, B.L. Stryker.
Whilst he was young, Neil wanted to achieve a muscular body so that he could look good in a T-shirt. But with the growing age, his focus has shifted from having a muscular build to strengthening his inner core, improving his workout longevity, and staying fit, slim, and flexible.
Neil Patrick Harris Favorite Things
- Food – Seafood, Pork, Enchiladas, Desserts
- TV Shows – Crazy Harry and Muppets
- Books – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Patterson
- Hobbies And Interest – Singing, Reading, Magic
- Past Time – Tweeting about his love for food @NPHFooDPorn
- Movie – Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock
Source – IMDb, NY Times
Neil Patrick Harris Facts
- Neil won his first Toto award in a school production of The Wizard of Oz (1993).
- Neil Patrick Harris was awarded the People’s Choice Award for being the most Favorite Male Performer in 1990.
- He was the first gay man to ever host an award ceremony.
- Neil does not believe in an open relationship.
- Neil received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6243 Hollywood Boulevard in 2011.
- David and Neil used a surrogate mother to have fraternal twins in 2010.
- Neil had done voice-overs for the Flash, Nightwing, and Spiderman cartoons.
- Neil told his parents that he might be gay when he was 13 years old because he had started crushing on the trumpet player in his middle school band.
- He realized that he was gay after being ‘Joke kissed’ by a fellow actor, Burt Reynolds on the show B.L. Stryker in the late 1980s.
- In 2009, he was awarded the Trevor Life Award for being an inspiration to gay community people.
- In 2018, Neil Patrick Harris hosted and executively produced NBC’s new game show Genius Junior.
- Neil Patrick Harris and Elton John take their families on vacation together.
- Follow Neil Patrick Harris on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Flickr / CC BY 2.0