|Martha Stewart Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9½ in|
|Date of Birth||August 3, 1941|
Martha Stewart is a talented and successful American businesswoman, writer, television personality, and former model. Through her Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia company, she has successfully ventured into various businesses, done numerous publishing, broadcasting, merchandising, and e-commerce. She also runs her own syndicated television programs like Martha and Martha Stewart Living. She has a dual degree in History and Architectural History from Barnard College of Columbia University. Martha has a huge fan base of more than 3 million followers on Instagram, more than 4 million followers on Twitter, and more than 500k subscribers on her YouTube channel.
Martha Helen Kostyra
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
- Katonah, New York, United States
- Mount Desert Island, Seal Harbor, Maine, United States
- East Hampton, New York, United States
Martha Stewart studied at the Nutley High School in Essex County, New Jersey. Later, she attended Barnard College of Columbia University in New York, intending to major in chemistry, however, she changed the preference to art, history, and architectural history. She took time off from studies to get married and returned a year later to complete her graduation with dual majors in History and Architectural History.
Businesswoman, Writer, Television Personality, Former Model
- Father – Edward Kostyra
- Mother – Martha Ruszkowski
- Siblings – She has 5 siblings.
- Others – Franciszek “Frank” Kostyra (Paternal Grandfather), Helena/Helen Krukar (Paternal Grandmother), Josef Ruszkowski (Maternal Grandfather), Franciszka Albiniak (Maternal Grandmother), John R. Cuti (Ex Son-In-Law)
Martha Stewart is managed by her own company Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc., New York City, New York, United States.
5 ft 9½ in or 176.5 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Martha Stewart has dated –
- Carl Bernstein – Martha is rumored to have had an encounter with writer Carl Bernstein in the past.
- Andrew Stewart – Martha started dating Andrew Stewart when they were in college. She took time off from her college to marry Andrew, who had just graduated from Yale Law School, in 1961. Martha has her only child, a daughter Alexis Gilbert (b. 1965), with Andrew. The couple separated in 1987, and their divorce was finalized in 1990.
- Sir Anthony Hopkins (1990-1991) – In 1990, Martha began a relationship with actor Sir Anthony Hopkins. However, their relationship did not last long as Martha could not help relating Anthony to his character Hannibal Lecter from the film The Silence of the Lambs (1991) and separated in February 1991.
- Charles Simonyi (1993-2008) – In 1993, Martha started a relationship with Hungarian businessman and billionaire Charles Simonyi. In 2007, he was featured in her television show as a space tourist aboard Soyuz. The couple broke up in February 2008.
- In December 2021, Martha revealed that she was dating someone. However, she did not reveal the name.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Polish descent.
- Long rounded chin
- Signature neck length haircut
Martha Stewart has endorsed and appeared in commercials for brands like –
- American Dairy Processors
- American Express Credit Card
- Jack in the Box
In February 2022, Martha appeared in Bic EZ Reach Lighter‘s “2022 Super Bowl” commercial along with Snoop Dogg.
In February 2023, Martha appeared in Skechers‘ “2023 Super Bowl” commercial.
Best Known For
- Founding the Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia company which subsequently brought her success in various business ventures, encompassing publishing, broadcasting, merchandising, and e-commerce
- Being a successful world-renowned author of numerous books and publisher of Martha Stewart Living magazine. Her popularity has grown further through her syndicated television programs, Martha (2005-2012) and Martha Stewart Living (1993-2004).
In 2002, she made her theatrical film debut in the comedy crime thriller film Big Trouble as herself.
First TV Show
In 1987, she made her first TV show appearance on the news series The Morning Program.
In 2005, she lent her voice for an episode on the talk show Imus in the Morning on MSNBC.
Martha Stewart believes in the well being of physical health. She practices yoga regularly for an hour every day and works out 3 times a week with her trainer, Mary Tedesco.
As for her diet, she maintains a healthy eating habit comprising of less meat and more fruits and vegetables. She begins her day with her favorite green juice which is a combination of green leafy vegetables, fresh ginger, and fruit. She reads all sorts of things to keep her brain active and takes sufficient rest to renew her energy.
Martha Stewart Favorite Things
- Clothing Designers – Hermes, Ralph Rucci, Jil Sander, Loro Piana, Piazza Sempione
- Handbag – Louis Vuitton open satchel
- Home-Cooked Meal – Scrambled eggs
- Glasses – 20 years old Cartier sunglasses
- Jeans – QVC and Joe’s Jeans
- Perfume – Fracas by Robert Piguet
- Skin Products – Cle de Peau and Mario Badescu
- Cocktail Drink– Caipirinhas
- Guilty Pleasure TV Show – Fauda
- Items In Her Wardrobe – Hermès bathing suits
- Room In Her House – Kitchen
- Snack – Oreo cookies
- Book – One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
Martha Stewart Facts
- Although her grandparents were Polish immigrants, both her parents were born in New York.
- She is the 2nd child of her parents and shares the same first name as her mother.
- She learned gardening from her father; cooking, baking, and sewing from her mother; and learned the art of baking pies and cakes from their next-door neighbors.
- In 1996, People magazine included her in their list of “50 Most Beautiful People in the World”.
- Martha sleeps 4 hours a night, with lights on, so, she can get right to work when she wakes up.
- She modeled for the brand Chanel, during her college days to pay for her college tuition.
- Her daughter Alexis is the owner of the American Fitness Factory gym in Sag Harbor, New York.
- In 1961, Glamour magazine named her as one of the “Best Dressed College Girls”.
- On August 14, 1968, she got her stockbroker’s license and was noted as one of the 1st female stockbrokers on Wall Street.
- Her Katonah estate was bought for 16 million dollars.
- Her must-have movies include Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948), Round Midnight (1986), and Choose Me (1984).
- She donated $5 million to New York’s Mt. Sinai Hospital in 2006.
- In 2011, she was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame for her services and contributions to Enterprise.
- From March 5, 2004, to March 4, 2005, she was held in federal prison for convicting 4 felony charges that include obstruction of justice, making false statements, and committing perjury.
- From March 5, 2005, to August 2005, she was kept under house arrest.
- 55170-054 was her prison number at the federal prison.
- Her presentation of the MTV Video Music Award for “Best Dance Video” with rapper Busta Rhymes in 1997 received considerable press attention as Martha and Busta revealed great on-screen chemistry.
- While serving her prison time, Martha had to get up much before the other inmates to watch the news channel, as the channel that aired in the facility was mainly “BET” (Black Entertainment Television).
- During her early teen days, she babysat Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, and Gil McDougald’s children, and also organized Mantle’s son’s birthday parties.
- She is good friends with Glenn Close, Snoop Dogg, Paul Newman, Rosie O’Donnell, and Mark Burnett.
- She always keeps Champagne in the fridge for unexpected guests.
- Martha likes spending her holidays in Madagascar.
- She uses the unbleached all-natural King Arthur Flour for baking.
- Her choice of dancing shoes is Manolo Blahniks.
- Martha buys her cheeses from Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro in New York City.
- She is an avid collector of kugels which she incorporated into her holiday decorations series.
- She carries her own fresh lemons while traveling on the plane, just in case there isn’t any on the menu.
- Her fondest memories of her early childhood were sitting at the kitchen table and eating white onion sandwiches.
- When she wakes up before sunrise, she goes around saying her hello to all the animals on her farm.
- She has 4 horses, 200 chickens, 2 sheep, 3 miniature donkeys, 5 cats, 4 dogs, and 25 red canaries. In April 2022, Martha revealed that her 4 dogs had killed one of her cats named Princess Peony.
- She is also a beekeeper.
- Martha is not a fan of fragrances in anything, so, her Martha Stewart cleaning products are fragrance-free and color-free.
- She is a Yankees fan.
- She likes baking more than cooking.
- As a kid, she often helped her brother trap muskrats in Nutley, New Jersey.
- She considers her sense of humor to be dry.
- If she weren’t following her current career, she’d be a teacher or a veterinarian.
- Martha loves listening to Eminem.
- She is most comfortable in jeans and a work shirt.
- She loves liverwurst sandwiches.
- Martha considers herself to be a closet tech geek as she is obsessed with her iPad, Droid, and Samsung Tablet.
- She listens to a lot of rap music in the studio of The Martha Stewart Show.
- Her go-to guilty pleasure foods include a spoon of organic peanut butter, or a slice of American cheese, or pickled herring as a late-night snack, or liverwurst.
- In January 2021, she received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- On May 16, 2021, Martha revealed that she was having 21 peacocks on her farm.
- In June 2021, Martha revealed that she underwent a three-hour operation after rupturing her Achilles tendon.
- In January 2022, Martha announced that she would be launching her first-ever restaurant called The Bedford by Martha Stewart in Las Vegas.
- Her celebrity crush is Brad Pitt.
- Martha’s first car was a pale yellow 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190 four-door sedan.
- While growing up, her celebrity crush was James Dean.
- In May 2023, Martha was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated‘s annual Swimsuit issue. She was 81 years old at that time and with this, she became the oldest cover girl of the magazine.
Featured Image by Art Comments / Flickr / CC BY-2.0