|Jewel Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 23, 1974|
Jewel is a multi-time Grammy nominee and also a New York Times bestseller. She has sold over 30 million albums with a continuous release of hit songs like You Were Meant for Me, Foolish Games, Intuition, and Stronger Woman. As an active philanthropist, Jewel devotes her time to organizations like Inspiring Children Foundation while also managing her career.
Payson, Utah, United States
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Jewel joined Interlochen Arts Academy in Interlochen, Michigan at the age of 15 and graduated 2 years later after receiving training in classical singing and guitar.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Producer, Actress, Author, Poet, Philanthropist
- Father – Attila Kuno Kilcher (Local Musician, Music Teacher in Elementary School)
- Mother – Lenedra Jewel Kilcher
- Siblings – Shane Kilcher (Older Brother), Atz Lee Kilcher (Younger Brother), Nikos Kilcher (Younger Brother)
- Others – Q’orianka Kilcher (Cousin) (Actress, Singer, Activist), Xihuaru Kilcher (Cousin) (Actress, Singer), Kainoa Kilcher (Cousin) (Actor), Yule Kilcher (Grandfather) (State Senator of German Descent), Kim Murray (Ex-Sister-In-Law), Butch Murray (Ex-Father-In-Law), Joy Murray (Ex-Mother-In-Law), Saskia Genet-Oulicky (First Cousin)
Jewel is managed by –
- Irving Azoff, Manager, AA Music Management, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- Jim Toth and Rick Roskin, Talent Agents, Creative Artists Agency, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
- G-Major Management, Nashville, Tennessee, U.S.
- Full Stop Management, LLC, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Folk, Pop, Pop Rock, Country
Vocals, Guitar, Autoharp
- Atlantic Records
- Valory Music Group
- Rhino Entertainment
- Concord Music
- Sugar Hill Records
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jewel has dated –
- Musse – At the age of 18, she dated a Swedish boy named Musse. Through him, she learned to speak Swedish and even wrote a Swedish lullaby which she has performed many times at concerts and during her appearances on TV.
- Jean-Claude Van Damme – She was rumored to have had an encounter with actor Jean-Claude Van Damme.
- Steve Poltz – In the early 90s, Jewel was in a relationship with musician and a member of San Diego-based band Rugburns, Steve Poltz, for 3 years. They did numerous collaborative works, including the hit You Were Meant for Me, before their split.
- Sean Penn (1995) – In 1995, Jewel had a brief relationship with actor Sean Penn. She wrote the song Emily for his film ‘The Crossing Guard’ and the couple also attended the Venice Film Festival together before breaking up the same year.
- Gavin Newsom (1997-1998) – Jewel dated politician Gavin Newsom for about a year until 1998.
- Ty Murray (1998-2014) – In 2008, Jewel married her boyfriend of 10 years, a 7-time world champion rodeo cowboy, Ty Murray, in the Bahamas. They have a son named Kase Townes Murray (born July 11, 2011). However, they separated in 2014 after being together for 16 years.
- Christopher Douglas (1999) – In 1999, she was romantically linked to model Christopher Douglas.
- Charlie Whitehurst (2015-Present) – In 2015, Jewel started dating NFL footballer Charlie Whitehurst. The two were spotted in Perth in March 2017, where Jewel was scheduled to perform.
Race / Ethnicity
She has German, Swiss, English, and Scottish ancestry.
- Wide forehead
- Strong jawline
- Crooked upper teeth
Jewel has endorsed various brands like –
- L’Oreal Paris’s Feria multi-faceted hair color (2004)
- The Healing Garden organics (2005)
- Kraft Foods’ Oscar Mayer Sandwich (2011)
Best Known For
- Her contribution to the music industry as she has sold over 30 million albums worldwide and produced over a dozen studio albums including Pieces of You (1995), Spirit (1998), 0304 (2003), Goodbye Alice in Wonderland (2006), and Picking Up the Pieces (2015).
- Producing hit songs like Who Will Save Your Soul, You Were Meant for Me, Foolish Games, Hands, Again and Again, Intuition, Standing Still, and Stronger Woman
- Winning many prestigious awards like American Music Award for Favorite New Artist (1997), MTV Video Music Award for Best Female Video (1997), Governor’s Award for Songwriting (1999), and Regis & Kelly Award for Musical Guest (2003)
On February 28, 1995, Jewel released her successful debut studio album Pieces of You with Atlantic Records whose songs, You Were Meant for Me, Foolish Games, and Who Will Save Your Soul, were major hits on Billboard’s Hot 100.
In 1999, Jewel made her theatrical film debut appearing in the romantic drama Ride with the Devil as Sue Lee Shelley.
First TV Show
In 1994, she made her first TV show appearance by performing on the show Crossroads.
Jewel likes to work out and used to run 3 miles per day before she had her son. She likes to incorporate cardio and yoga into her work out.
For her diet, she prefers to eat healthy and organic vegetables and meat.
Jewel Favorite Things
- Designers – Gucci and Prada
Source – People
- After her parents divorced when she was 8 years old, Jewel and her brothers lived with their father in Homer, Alaska.
- As a child, she grew up singing and yodeling with her father and performing in public places.
- Her father was an abusive alcoholic which prompted her to leave home at 15.
- At the age of 16, Jewel started writing songs and also took lessons to play guitar.
- While she was still in school, she did live shows at clubs and coffeehouses.
- After graduating, she relocated to San Diego, California.
- Jewel’s early jobs included working in a coffee shop and also in a computer warehouse as a phone operator.
- In May 1997, The International Star Registry re-named the star number Ursa Minor 15h38m42s 75°58’37” to her name as Jewel Kilcher (Jewel of the North).
- On April 24, 2002, she broke her collarbone and rib after she fell from a colt at a ranch owned by her then-boyfriend, Ty Murray, in Stephenville, Texas.
- On September 12, 2003, she had to cancel several upcoming tour shows after the death of her bassist, Terome T-Bone Hannon.
- In 2002, Stuff magazine listed Jewel at #92 on their 102 Sexiest Women In The World list.
- During her struggling days, she lived in a VW bus with her mother in San Diego.
- On March 11, 2011, her Cadillac was rammed by a fire truck in Stephenville, Texas.
- Her first country album Perfectly Clear was released on June 3, 2008, debuting at No. 1 on the Billboard Country Album Chart.
- Jewel has written several books titled A Night Without Armor (1998), Chasing Down the Dawn (2000), and Never Broken: Songs Are Only Half the Story (2015).
- She is an active philanthropist who founded a nonprofit organization called Higher Ground for Humanity in 1997. She also runs an online program called Never Broken Foundation and is partnered with Inspiring Children Foundation.
- Jewel is estranged from her mother who stole her money while managing her business in San Diego. In March 2023, during an interview on the Verywell Mind podcast, she revealed that her mother stole almost $100 million from her.
- Visit her official website @ jeweljk.com.
- Follow Jewel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Jewel / Instagram
Love your Christmas special. Almost made it to a concert in PA when I visited my sister in Watsontown, PS