|JJ Smit Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 10, 1995|
JJ Smit is a Namibian professional cricketer who has represented his country in the shorter formats (ODIs and T20Is) of the sport, as a bowling all-rounder. He made his debut for the Namibian senior national team in February 2012, at the age of just 16. He made his ODI debut in April 2019 and his T20I debut in May 2019.
Johannes Jonathan Smit
12 – T20 International (T20I)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
JJ Smit has dated –
- Esmarie Peters (2021-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Short-cropped, side-parted hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
He has been sponsored by –
- Bosbul (South Africa-based apparel brand)
- Sedgars Sport (South African sports equipment & apparel brand)
JJ Smit Facts
- JJ Smit first came into the spotlight during the 2013 edition of the ICC (International Cricket Council) Africa Under-19 Championship where he was the 2nd-highest wicket-taker in the tournament, with 12 scalps to his name.
- In the final match of the tournament, against Kenya, he bowled a sensational spell (4/17 from 8 overs) that included a hat-trick (the feat of dismissing 3 batsmen off 3 successive legal deliveries). He was named the ‘Player of the Match’ for his performance as Namibia went on to defeat Kenya by 52 runs and qualify for the 2014 edition of the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup.
- He was named the ‘Player of the Tournament’ at the 2019 ICC World Cricket League Division Two series where Namibia finished in the ‘Top 4’ which helped the team attain ODI (One Day International) status.
- In June 2019, he was selected by the Vancouver Knights for the upcoming season of the Global T20 Canada tournament. This made him the first Namibian cricketer to have been signed by an overseas T20 franchise team.
- He was the leading wicket-taker for Namibia (16 dismissals in 9 matches) at the 2019 edition of the ICC T20 World Cup Qualifier tournament. His performance played a vital role in helping Namibia finish 4th overall in the tournament which helped them qualify for the 2020 edition (which was eventually played in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic) of the ICC World T20. In September 2021, he was named Namibia’s vice-captain for that tournament.
- In November 2021, he scored 56 runs and recorded a bowling spell of 5/26 in an ODI match against Oman. This was just the 22nd occasion in the history of ODI cricket that a male player had scored more than 50 runs and captured more than 5 wickets in the same match. To put the rarity of this achievement in perspective, this was the 4,336th men’s ODI match. JJ Smit’s performance was also the first such by a Namibian cricketer.
- In April 2022, he recorded figures of 6/10 in 4 overs in a T20I match against Uganda. As of October 2022, only 4 bowlers, in the history of T20I cricket, had recorded better bowling figures in a match than JJ Smit’s 6/10. This was also the first 5-wicket haul of his T20I career. His spell included a hat-trick as well, the first by a Namibian bowler in T20I cricket.
Featured Image by JJ Smit / Instagram