|John Gallagher Jr. Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||June 17, 1984|
John Gallagher Jr. is an American actor and musician. He has played various instruments in several bands like Not Now Murray, What Now, Annie’s Autograph, and Old Springs Pike. In January 2016, he released his debut album titled Six Day Hurricane. John also developed a love for acting while he was working at a local theatre. His first theatre appearance was as Jeff in the 2003 play Kimberly Akimbo. In 2006, he received critical acclaim for his portrayal of Jason Willette in the play Rabbit Hole. The play also marked his Broadway debut. John is widely recognized for the role of Moritz Stiefel in the rock musical Spring Awakening, which ran from 2006 to 2007. His performance earned him a Tony Award for ‘Best Featured Actor in a Musical’ in 2007. He has also appeared in various other plays including Port Authority (2008), Farragut North (2008), American Idiot (2009-2011), Jerusalem (2011), and Long Day’s Journey Into Night (2016).
In parallel with his theatre career, John has appeared in several television shows and movies. His significant television appearances include Law & Order (2002), The West Wing (2002), Ed (2003), NYPD Blue (2003), Love Monkey (2006), The Newsroom (2012-2014), and Olive Kitteridge (2014). John’s major film credits include Pieces of April (2003), Mr. Gibb (2006), Whatever Works (2009), Jonah Hex (2010), The Belko Experiment (2017), Sadie (2018) and The Best of Enemies (2019). He had a leading role in Short Term 12 (2013), opposite Brie Larson.
John Howard Gallagher Jr.
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
Brooklyn, New York, United States
John completed his secondary schooling at the Brandywine High School in Wilmington, Delaware.
Actor, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – John Gallagher Sr. (Folk Musician)
- Mother – June Gallagher (Folk Musician)
- Siblings – Jaime Gallagher (Older Sister) (Actress), Joni Gallagher (Older Sister)
He is represented by –
- Byron Wetzel, Manager, Wetzel Entertainment Group
- United Talent Agency, Agent
- Morris Yorn, Law Firm
Americana, Rock and Roll, Folk
Guitar, Bass, Drums, Harmonica, Vocals
Rockwood Music Hall Recordings
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John has dated –
- Aubrey Plaza (1997-1999) – John and actress Aubrey Plaza were in a relationship in high school. They both grew up in Wilmington, Delaware and did community theatre together. Aubrey revealed in an interview that John sang a song that he wrote for her in front of a bunch of people at a pub when they were 13 years old. They went their separate ways as their acting careers prospered. John has stated that the duo still keeps in touch and their families are close.
- Aubrey Dollar (2008-2011) – John started dating television actress Aubrey Dollar in 2008. The couple dated for 3 years before calling it quits in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry.
- Floppy Hair
- Dimpled Smile
- Frequently switches between bearded, light stubble, and clean-shaven looks
Best Known For
- His portrayal of Moritz Stiefel in the play Spring Awakening (2006-2007)
- His roles in films like Short Term 12 (2013), 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), and Hush (2016); and the TV series The Newsroom (2012-2014)
John’s first album was released in 2016, titled Six Day Hurricane. It comprised of 9 songs that were initially planned for a live performance, including singles like Two Fists Full, Dangerous Strangers, and Sarasota Someone.
John made his theatrical film debut as Timmy Burns in the 2003 comedy-drama film Pieces of April.
First TV Show
In 2002, John made his TV show debut as Terrence Holt in the Girl Most Likely episode of the drama series Law & Order.
John likes hiking and cycling but is not a frequent visitor to the gym.
John Gallagher Jr. Favorite Things
- Musicians/Bands – Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne, Nirvana
- Musical Genre – Pop, Folk, Punk
- Movie Genre – Horror
- Movie – Die Hard
- Christmas Movies – A Christmas Story, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Scrooged
- Songs – Nothing Is Wrong by Dawes, If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
- Food – Sandwiches
- Drink – Rye Whiskey
- Accent – Irish
- Movie Character – Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters; portrayed by Bill Murray
- TV Shows – The Wire, Friday Night Lights, Boardwalk Empire
John Gallagher Jr. Facts
- He was born and raised in the state of Delaware, United States by parents who were both folk musicians. Inspired by his parents, John has been writing music since adolescence.
- While he was performing in the play Spring Awakening, John was a member of the folk-rock group Old Springs Pike. In January 2008, he left the group, and the group changed its name to The Spring Standards.
- For the play Spring Awakening (2006-2007), John developed the role of Moritz Stiefel after performing the role Off-Broadway and in workshops at the Lincoln Center.
- John appeared as “Himself” in the 2013 documentary Broadway Idiot.
- Despite his thriving acting career, John has continued his musical performances and often plays in live spaces like the Rockwood Music Hall in New York.
- His debut album was released in 2016. However, it was recorded in 2012, over 6 days during Hurricane Sandy. The album’s name Six Day Hurricane was derived from the timing of its recording.
- John has stated that his music has been influenced by songwriters like John Prine and Kris Kristofferson.
- John has a celebrity man-crush on musician Scott Avett.
- As a child, John portrayed Tom Sawyer at the Delaware Children’s Theatre.
- John appeared in a single episode of Aaron Sorkin‘s The West Wing in 2002. When Sorkin was creating a new series for HBO (The Newsroom), he cast John in the lead role of James Harper.
- His hobby is reading and he prefers to spend free time at home.
- Follow him on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Featured Image by John Gallagher Jr. / Instagram