|John Hurt Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 22, 1940|
|Date of Death||January 25, 2017|
John Hurt was an English actor and voice actor who was described as “simply the greatest actor in the world” by director David Lynch. Regarded as one of Britain’s finest actors, John Hurt’s voice was described as the “most distinctive voice in Britain”. He was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2004 and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2015 for his services to drama.
John Vincent Hurt
He was born on January 22, 1940.
On January 25, 2017, John Hurt died of pancreatic cancer at the age of 77 in Cromer, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom.
Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
He resided in Cromer, Norfolk, Virginia, United States.
John Hurt studied at St Michael’s Preparatory School in Otford, Kent. During this time, he got inclined towards acting. Afterward, he attended Lincoln School.
When he was 17 years old, he got enrolled at Grimsby Art School (later the East Coast School of Art and Design) and studied art. He also attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) on a scholarship and trained for 2 years.
Actor, Voice Actor
- Father – Arnold Herbert Hurt (1904-1999) (A mathematician who became a Church of England clergyman and served as vicar of Holy Trinity Church in Shirebrook, Derbyshire)
- Mother – Phyllis (née Massey) (1907-1975) (Engineer, One-time Actor)
- Siblings – Br. Anselm (b. Michael) (Older Brother) (A Roman Catholic convert who became a monk and writer at Glenstal Abbey), Monica Hurt (Adoptive Sister)
- Others – Henry Herbert Hurt (Paternal Grandfather), Emily Corbett Browne/Brown (Paternal Grandmother), Harry Percy Massey (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Ellen France (Maternal Grandmother)
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth was $30 Million.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Hurt had dated –
- Annette Robertson (1962-1964) – He was married to film and television actor Annette Robertson from 1962 to 1964.
- Marie-Lise Volpeliere-Pierrot (1967-1983) – John Hurt started going out with French model Marie-Lise Volpeliere-Pierrot in 1967 and they decided to get married after 15 years together. They went horseback riding early in the morning of January 26, 1983, near their house in Ascott-under-Wychwood, Oxfordshire. Volpeliere-Pierrot was thrown off her horse and she went into a coma, dying later that day.
- Maxine Entwistle (1980) – He hooked up with Maxine Entwistle in 1980.
- Donna Peacock (1984-1990) – Hurt married American actor Donna Peacock in September 1984 at a local Register Office and they relocated to Kenya. In January 1990, the duo got divorced.
- Joan Dalton (1990-1996) – He met American production assistant Joan Dalton while filming Scandal (1989) and they married on January 24, 1990. They had 2 sons – Nicolas Hurt and Alexander Hurt. They divorced in 1996.
- Sarah Owens (1995-2002) – He dated Dublin-born presenter and writer Sarah Owens from 1995 to July 2002.
- Anwen Rees-Myers (2005-2017) – John Hurt tied the knot with Anwen Rees-Myers in March 2005 and they lived together until his death in 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
John Hurt was of English descent.
Salt and Pepper
Deep gravelly voice
John Hurt was cast in TV commercials for –
- Enron (voice)
- AOL/discuss (2007) (voice)
- “Sky” cable TV (2012) (voice)
John Hurt Facts
- After he was cast as a girl in a school production of The Blue Bird by Maurice Maeterlinck, he decided to pursue a career in acting.
- John Hurt was laughed at by his headmaster at Lincoln School when Hurt told him that he wanted to be an actor. The headmaster told him, “Well, you may be all right in school plays but you wouldn’t stand a chance in the profession.”
- His parents were against his passion for acting and wanted him to become an art teacher instead.
Featured Image by David Shankbone / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0