|John Oates Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 7, 1948|
John Oates is an American guitarist, singer, songwriter, and record producer who is best known for his work as one half of the rock and soul duo, ‘Hall & Oates’ who sold more than 40 million records, gave 7 ‘Platinum’ certified albums, and recorded numerous ‘Top 10’ singles on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. Although he was primarily known as the guitarist in the duo, he has provided lead vocals for several of their chart-busting songs and co-written many of them with his partner Daryl Hall. As a solo artist, he has released the albums Phunk Shui (2002), 1000 Miles of Life (2008), Mississippi Mile (2011), Good Road to Follow (2013), and Arkansas (2018). He was inducted into the ‘Songwriters Hall of Fame’ in 2003 as a member of ‘Hall & Oates’ and in 2004 as an individual artist. The duo was inducted into the ‘Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’ in 2014 and honored with a star on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’ in 2016. John’s autobiography titled Change of Seasons was published in 2017.
John William Oates
New York City, New York, United States
He splits his time between Woody Creek, Pitkin County, Colorado, United States, and Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, United States.
John had graduated from the North Penn High School in 1966. He had then joined the Temple University in Philadelphia to study journalism but dropped out to pursue a career in music.
Guitarist, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – Alfred William ‘Al’ Oates
- Mother – Ann De Palma
- Others – William Alfred Oates (Paternal Grandfather), Ana Perera (Paternal Grandmother), Clementina DePalma (Maternal Grandmother)
Rock, R&B, Soul, Blue-eyed Soul, Pop-Rock, Philly Soul, Soft Rock
- Atlantic Recording Corporation
- RCA Records
- Crimson Records
- Epic Records
- Arista Records
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
John has dated –
- Valerie Tornambe
- Nancy Hunter (1978-1988) – John began dating American model Nancy Hunter in 1978 and the couple got married on December 27, 1983. They parted ways 5 years later, in 1988.
- Aimee Pommier (1994-Present) – John and Aimee got married on November 27, 1994, and have a son together named Tanner (b. 1996).
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Hispanic)
He is of Gibraltarian, English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Moorish descent on his father’s side; and Italian descent on his mother’s side.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Center-parted, curly, frizzy hair
- Often sports a rugged goatee
- Affable smile
John Oates Facts
- Born in New York City, John had spent most of his childhood in North Wales, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia, and completed most of his education in that state.
- While studying at Temple University in Philadelphia, he had first met Daryl Hall who was his senior there and also a professional musician. The two became good friends and were involved in several college bands before forming ‘Hall & Oates’ in 1970.
- The Billboard magazine has named ‘Hall & Oates’ as the most successful duo of the ‘Rock Era’.
- In the heydays of his career, he used to sport a distinct mustache, in honor of which, he was inducted into the inaugural class of the ‘International Mustache Hall of Fame’ in 2015.
Featured Image by John Oates / Instagram