|Joni Mitchell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||November 7, 1943|
Joni Mitchell is a Canadian singer and songwriter who is best known for releasing various tracks, EPs, and albums. With time, she has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 400k followers on Facebook and more than 100k followers on Twitter.
Roberta Joan Anderson
Fort Macleod, Alberta, Canada
She was in grade 12 when she dropped out of school. However, she continued her studies later on.
- Father – William Andrew Anderson (Air Force Lieutenant, Instructor)
- Mother – Myrtle Marguerite McKee (Teacher)
Joni was represented by the Geffen-Roberts Company.
Folk, Rock, Jazz, Pop
Vocalist, Piano, Guitar, Dulcimer
She has released her music with various record labels such as Reprise, Asylum, Geffen, Nonesuch, and Hear Music.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Joni’s name has been linked with –
- JD Souther
- Brad MacMath (1964) – She has a daughter named Kelly Dale Anderson (b. February 1965).
- Chuck Mitchell (1965-1968)
- David Crosby (1967)
- Leonard Cohen (1967-1968)
- Graham Nash (1968-1970)
- James Taylor (1970-1971)
- Warren Beatty (1971)
- Jackson Browne (1972)
- Jack Nicholson (1972)
- Wayne Perkins (1973)
- John Guerin (1973-1976)
- Glenn Frey (1973-1974)
- Sam Shepard (1975)
- Don Alias (1977-1980)
- Larry Klein (1982-1994)
Race / Ethnicity
She has Scottish and Irish ancestry on her mother’s side and Norwegian as well as part Sami ancestry on her father’s side.
- Thin eyebrows
- Soaring vocals
Joni Mitchell Favorite Things
- Artists – Claude Debussy, Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington & His Orchestra, Louis Jordan, Steely Dan, Deep Forest, Edith Piaf, New Radicals
Source – JoniMitchell.com
Joni Mitchell Facts
- She spent her initial years in Alberta before traveling across different parts of Western Canada and relocated to Saskatchewan before finally settling in Saskatoon when Joni was 11 years old.
- Her father worked with the Royal Canadian Air Force as a flight lieutenant and instructor until the end of World War II, after which, her father started working as a grocer.
- She was not very strong academically and mostly took an interest in painting.
- Joni was in school when she started to take classical piano lessons.
- She was 9 years old when she was diagnosed with polio and was hospitalized for many weeks. After that, Joni began to focus her attention on singing and dancing in a much more serious manner. Around about the same time, she had also been smoking.
- During her late teenage years, Joni got involved with the rowdy crowd in hometown and continued to do so until she felt that her involvement with them led to her linking up with the criminal world.
- Initially, she had wanted to learn to play the guitar, however, due to her misdemeanor, Joni’s mother did not let her and instead, she learned to play the ukulele. Later, she also taught herself to play the guitar through a Pete Seeger songbook.
- Joni’s song, Song for Sharon which was released in November 1976, is one of the songs that share the story of her small-town upbringing.
- She is American singer and songwriter, Taylor Swift‘s favorite singer.
- Her songs are mostly based on personal issues.
- During the 2021 Kennedy Center Honors, Joni was honored with an award for her artistic contributions to American culture.
- In April 2022, Joni was honored with the “Person of the Year” award at the 2022 MusiCares event.
Featured Image By Asylum Records / Billboard / Public Domain