|James Taylor Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||March 12, 1948|
|Spouse||Caroline “Kim” Smedvig|
James Taylor is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist who has recorded multiple popular albums including Sweet Baby James, Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon, In the Pocket, JT, Dad Loves His Work, Flag, Gorilla, One Man Dog, Never Die Young, That’s Why I’m Here, A Christmas Album, Hourglass, and October Road. One of the best-selling music artists of all time, he is a six-time Grammy Award winner and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2000.
James Vernon Taylor
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Lenox, Massachusetts, United States
He studied at a public primary school in Chapel Hill and also took cello lessons. He also attended Milton Academy, Chapel Hill High School, and Arlington School.
Singer, Songwriter, Guitarist
- Father – Isaac M. Taylor (Physician and academic who served as dean of the Medical School of the University of North Carolina from 1964 until 1971)
- Mother – Gertrude Woodard Taylor (Aspiring opera singer)
- Siblings – Alexander Robert Taylor (Older Brother) (Singer), Livingston Taylor (Younger Brother) (Singer, Songwriter, Folk Musician, Performer, Professor), Kate Taylor (Younger Sister) (Singer, Songwriter), Hugh Taylor (Younger Brother) (Musician)
- Others – Edward (Nephew), James (Nephew), Bodhi Taylor Bragonier (Grandson)
James Taylor has been signed with –
- The Gorfaine/Schwartz Agency, Inc., Talent Agency, Burbank, California, United States
- The Feldman Agency, Talent Management Company, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Folk-rock, Rock, Pop, Soft Rock, Blues, Christmas Music, Country Folk
Vocals, Guitar, Harmonica, Keyboards
Apple Records, Capitol Records, EMI, Warner Bros., Columbia Records, SME, Hear Music, Fantasy Records
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Taylor has dated –
- Jaid Barrymore – It was RUMORed that he had an affair with actress Jaid Barrymore in the past.
- Joni Mitchell (1970-1971) – Between 1970 and 1971, he went out with Canadian singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell.
- Carly Simon (1972-1983) – Taylor got married to singer-songwriter, musician, and children’s author Carly Simon on November 3, 1972, in a small ceremony at her Murray Hill, Manhattan apartment. They had two children – daughter Sarah Maria “Sally” Taylor (b. January 7, 1974) and son Benjamin Simon “Ben” Taylor (b. January 22, 1977). The couple divorced in 1983.
- Kathryn Walker (1985-1995) – On December 14, 1985, he married actress Kathryn Walker at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York. She was the one who helped him get off heroin. However, the couple eventually divorced in 1995.
- Caroline “Kim” Smedvig (1995-Present) – He started dating Caroline “Kim” Smedvig, the director of public relations and marketing for the Boston Symphony Orchestra, in 1995 when they met as he appeared with John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra. James married Caroline on February 18, 2001, at the Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Boston, and they have been blessed with twin boys, Rufus and Henry (b. April 2001).
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English, Scottish, Welsh, and French descent.
- Distinctive singing voice
- Acoustic romantic ballads
He was a part of a TV commercial for MCI The Neighbourhood in 2004.
James Taylor Facts
- He was ranked at number #84 in Rolling Stone‘s list of “100 Greatest Artists of All Time” in 2004.
- James Taylor has been friends with cellist Yo-Yo Ma.
- In 2012, he was named “Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres” by the Ministry of Culture & Communication of France.
- James Taylor has struggled with depression and other mental health issues and once described them saying: “It’s an inseparable part of my personality that I have these feelings.”
Featured Image by Joella Marano / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0