|Kim Thayil Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 0½ in|
|Date of Birth||September 4, 1960|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Kim Thayil is an American musician and guitarist who is best known for being the lead guitarist of the Seattle-based rock band Soundgarden, whose other members included Chris Cornell, Ben Shepherd, Matt Cameron, Hiro Yamamoto, Scott Sundquist, and Jason Everman. With Soundgarden, he has released several albums like Ultramega OK, Down on the Upside, King Animal, Badmotorfinger, Louder Than Love, and Superunknown.
Kim A. Thayil
Seattle, King County, Washington, United States
Kim Thayil studied at Rich East High School, located in Park Forest, from where he graduated in 1981. After that, he got enrolled at the University of Washington and graduated with a degree in philosophy.
- Father – Boniface Thayil (Chemical Engineer)
Alternative Metal, Grunge, Alternative Rock, Heavy Metal
Guitar, Bass Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals
A&M Records, SST Records, Sub Pop
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Kim Thayil is of Indian descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Often sports long hair and beard
- Usually wears a cap or a hat
Kim Thayil Facts
- His parents hailed from Kerala, India, who later settled in Seattle, United States.
- Kim Thayil spent his childhood years growing up in the Chicago suburb of Park Forest.
- His first band was named Zippy and His Vast Army of Pinheads.
- In the year 1984, he co-founded the grunge band Soundgarden along with singer Chris Cornell and bassist Hiro Yamamoto.
- With Soundgarden, Kim Thayil released the band’s first studio album, Ultramega OK, on October 31, 1988, via SST Records and the album comprised of songs such as Smokestack Lightning, Flower, Beyond the Wheel, All Your Lies, Mood for Trouble, Head Injury, and Nazi Driver.
- Ultramega OK was nominated for a Grammy Award in the “Best Metal Performance” category in 1990. Also, it was ranked at number #8 on the US Vinyl Albums (Billboard) chart and at number #9 on the US Tastemaker Albums (Billboard) chart.
- In 2010, Rolling Stone included Kim Thayil in the magazine’s “100th Greatest Guitarist of All Time” list.
- He was ranked at number #67 on the “Greatest Guitarist of All Time” list curated by SPIN in 2012.
- Kim Thayil was nominated for a Revolver Music Award for “Best Guitarist” in 2013.
Featured Image by Frank Schwichtenberg / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0