|Lee Haney Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||November 11, 1959|
|Spouse||Shirley Draper Haney|
Lee Haney is an American former professional bodybuilder of the International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness (IFBB) who shares most of his all-time Mr. Olympia titles at eight with fellow retired professional bodybuilder Ronnie Coleman. Before fame, his interest in bodybuilding first kicked off when he began training in school and later won his first big tournament, Mr. America at the age of 19. Following his successful debut as a young bodybuilder at that time, he didn’t stop there and continued to work his hardest to make a name in the world of bodybuilding. He was awarded his first Mr. Olympia trophy in 1984 and later won his last 8th title in 1991. Lee has been on a hiatus for the longest time and he has not participated in any bodybuilding tournaments. However, he remains active with bodybuilding by sharing his experience and expertise to other bodybuilding aspirants. He has trained many professional athletes and celebrities, and, he has served as a consultant for some of the best nutritional companies worldwide.
Fairburn, Georgia, United States
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
He graduated from Spartanburg Methodist College where he earned a degree in youth counseling.
Retired Professional Bodybuilder
Lee Haney is represented by his own company Lee Haney’s Nutritional Support System.
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
111 kg or 245 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Lee Haney has dated –
- Shirley Draper Haney – Lee is married to Shirley Draper Haney with whom he has 2 children.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Tall, bodybuilder physique
- Big Thick Lips
- Downward Pointed Nose
- Neck – 20 in or 51 cm
- Chest – 56 in or 142 cm
- Arm – 21 in or 53.5 cm
- Waist – 31.5 in or 80 cm
- Thigh – 30 in or 76 cm
- Calf – 20 in or 51 cm
Born Again Christianity
Best Known For
Earning the record for most Mr. Olympia titles at eight which he shares with fellow retired professional bodybuilder Ronnie Coleman
First Bodybuilding Match
In 1979, Lee Haney made his bodybuilding debut for the Teen Mr. America and earned his first bodybuilding title after finishing the tournament at the 1st place.
In 2010, Lee made his feature film debut as “Himself” in For Honor or Glory.
First TV Show
In 2017, he made his first TV show appearance as ‘Himself’ in the Got to Have Faith episode of the series, Leave It to Stevie.
As of July 2019, he has been on a hiatus and has not joined any bodybuilding tournaments for the longest time. But amidst his exit from his career as a professional bodybuilder, Lee remains active in maintaining a fit and healthy lifestyle. He owns a gym in Atlanta, Georgia, where he usually trains himself while also acting as a professional coach and trainer to athletes and sports enthusiasts who visit his gym to train.
Though he has not mentioned any specifics about his diet and what food he eats to keep himself in shape, he belongs to a team of certified trainers designed with a lifestyle fitness training and nutrition programs that helps others reach their goals on becoming fit and healthy. With that, part of keeping himself fit and healthy probably includes eating the right food and religiously following the best healthy diet plans on every level possible.
Professional athletes, sports enthusiasts, and celebrities look for Lee and his team for goal-specific sports training during the off-season and for injury recuperation. Lee has personally trained some well-known sports athletes and celebrities such as Evander Holyfield, Steve Harvey, Jeannie, and Bill Daprano. During an interview in the past, he shared his beliefs relevant to keeping a physically fit and healthy body. He mentioned that processed foods and carbonated liquids are a big no if the goal is to give the body the right nutrients it needs.
Lee has also shared some tips and what specific food he used to eat during his bodybuilding days. For proteins, he would eat chicken, eggs, lentil, and fish while for carbohydrates, his favorite was sweet potatoes. For greens, he liked to use spinach on most of his diets. He had pineapples during his training days and preferred almonds and walnuts for his daily diet routine. Lee also shared that he would take as many as 15 whole eggs for his muscle growth during his off-season.
Lee Haney Favorite Things
- Hobbies – Working out, Training
- Food Options – Chicken, Eggs, Fish, Lentils, Sweet Potatoes, Spinach, Almonds, Walnuts
Source – Instagram
Lee Haney Facts
- He is also an author and entrepreneur.
- As a certified fitness trainer and health nutritionist, he has lectured in more 30 countries.
- He started to train for bodybuilding at the age of 19.
- He was appointed as Chairman of the President’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports by former United States President Bill Clinton.
- Lee Haney has his own program called TotaLee Fit with Lee Haney on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. In his program where he teaches the value of physical and spiritual growth, he’s occasionally joined by his wife and many famous Christian sportsmen.
- In 2011, he was inducted to the National Fitness Hall of Fame.
- He was inducted to the International Sports Hall of Fame in 2014.
- He was ranked at the 1st place on both tournaments Night of Champions in 1983 and Grand Prix Germany in 1987.
- In 2006, he was given a “Lifetime Achievement” award by former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger for his overall contributions to the society.
- He holds an impressive list of awards and recognitions both as a professional bodybuilder and a fitness and lifestyle advocate.
- Visit his official website @ leehaney.com.
- Connect with Lee Haney on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Georgia National Guard / Flickr / CC BY-2.0