|Lynne McGranger Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6.5 in|
|Date of Birth||January 29, 1953|
Lynne McGranger is an Australian actress, best known for playing the role of Irene Roberts in the Home and Away TV series, in which she has appeared in more than 2200 episodes as of late 2018. She also played the same role in 3 TV movies that accompanied series – Home and Away: An Eye for an Eye (2015), Home and Away: Revenge (2016), and Home and Away: All or Nothing (2017). She had minor appearances in TV series such as The Flying Doctors (1989), Seven Deadly Sins (1993), Sky Trackers (1994), and Top 20 Aussie Soap Moments (2011). Lynne also appeared in multiple short films between 2006 and 2018 – Reasons Beyond Me in 2006, Gingers in 2012, and Why Can’t I in 2018. She was also a guest panelist on The Wright Stuff TV series between 2012 and 2014, and a participant in the 14th season of the well-known TV show Dancing with the Stars in 5 episodes in 2014.
Paddington, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Lynne graduated from Riverina College of Advanced Education, located in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia, in 1975.
She then went on to hone her acting skills at the Q Theatre in Penrith, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia in 1982 and 1983.
- Father – Bruce McGranger (d. 2005)
- Mother – Audrey McGranger (d. 2015)
- Siblings – She has a sister.
Lynne McGranger is represented by CMC Talent Management (Manager) in Prahran, Victoria, Australia.
5 ft 6.5 in or 169 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lynne McGranger has dated –
- Paul McWaters – She hasn’t mentioned an exact date or year of the beginning of her relationship and eventual marriage to Paul, but said they were together for more than 30 years as of 2019. They have a daughter together, Clancy McWaters (b. May 1991).
Race / Ethnicity
Lynne McGranger is of Australian descent.
- Slim physique
- Thin lips
Lynn has endorsed brands and charities such as The Laser Lounge Rouse Hill skin treatments (2018), Squad Dance Studios (2018), Wear It Purple (2018), Dollars for Dust (2018), Drought Angels (2018), as well as OvarianCancerOz in Australia, an independent national organization. Lynne became an ambassador for SaveOurSons Foundation that fights Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Australia along with Childfund Australia charity.
Best Known For
- Starring as Irene Roberts in Home Away TV series since 1993
- Playing Irene Roberts in 3 TV movies – Home and Away: An Eye for an Eye (2015), Home and Away: Revenge (2016), and Home and Away: All or Nothing (2017)
- Appearing in 3 short movies, Reasons Beyond Me (2006), Gingers (2012), and Why Can’t I (2018)
First TV Show
Lynne McGranger made her first TV show appearance as Janet Williams in an episode titled The Last Rodeo of the drama series The Flying Doctors in 1989.
In an interview to DailyMail magazine, Lynne said that she’s motivated to workout and take care of her appearance because she wanted for people to go “what the hell” after seeing her in great shape despite being born in 1953.
In a diet plan she shared, Lynn said that she gave up smoking, and focused on drinking enough water, commonly in form of tea in the morning, as well as ingesting enough protein through eggs, fish, chicken, and protein bars.
She also focuses on eating complex carbohydrates such as grain toast and rye bread, in addition to the salad, carrots, avocado, beetroot, and an occasional cappuccino without chocolate in the morning. Lynne is also a fan of shellfish and lobsters.
Lynne McGranger Favorite Things
- Activity – Pantomime, Dressing In Costumes, Dancing, Teaching, Gymnastics
- Sport – Cricket, Football
- Football Club – Sydney Swans
- Subject – History
- Drink – Wine, Coffee
- Actor – Robert De Niro, David Ritchie
Lynne McGranger Facts
- She was a primary school teacher before she became an actress.
- Her early roles were in stage plays such as Bye Bye Birdie, where she played Rose, and West Side Story, where she had the role of Anita.
- On January 12, 1993, she joined the cast of Home and Away TV series with a guest role of Irene Roberts initially, after which due to her performance, it was made permanent on October 7, 1993. The original actress that starred in first 2 seasons of the series quickly lost recognition due to Lynne’s popularity and acting prowess as the character of Irene.
- While growing up, she learned ballet and modern dance.
- After her experience of studying acting at the Q Theatre in Penrith, near Sydney, she went on to become a member of the comedy group The Natural Normans in the late 1980s and early 1990s with 3 other actresses – Denise Scott, Sally-Anne Upton, and Lynda Gibson. They played comedic roles of Australia’s leading drag kings in numerous plays at the theatre.
- She became the 2nd longest serving cast member in Home and Away in 2018, right under her co-star Ray Meagher. In 2018, Lynne also became the longest-serving female cast member that starred in a television soap opera within Australia.
- Her daughter, Clancy McWaters, announced she wanted to study drama when she was 15 or 16 years old. Lynne was very supportive and even appeared alongside her daughter in a home segment of Better Homes and Gardens on Seven Network, a show that started airing in early 1995.
- In 2014, she officially became the longest-serving actress that played the same character on television in Australia, after she overtook the actress Kate Ritchie, who was Lynne’s co-star in Home and Away until 2013.
- She became best friends with a fellow Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou when Ada joined the series in 2000. Despite Lynne being 15 years older, and being the age of Ada’s mom, she said that it was totally the other way around and that Ada is more of a mum to her.
- Her dad, Bruce, was an avid smoker but managed to quit when he was 50. He died of oesophageal and skin cancer at the age of 79 in 2005, and his death was the wake-up call for Lynne to break the habit of smoking herself. She visited the hypnotist and since then, hasn’t smoked, decided to cut down her alcohol intake, and started exercising regularly.
- On February 7, 2018, she joined Johnny Ruffo in an episode of Dinner Diaries, with the help of Hello Fresh Australia company, and traveled via a van around the country.
- Lynne defended her co-star, actress Sam Frost, after she joined the cast of Home and Away TV series in 2017, and was criticized on social media for her acting skills. She said that Sam possessed a lot of positive energy, dedication, and was a hard worker and that “armchair critics” and “trolls” shouldn’t be given attention.
- Follow her on Instagram, Facebook Fan Page, and Twitter.
Featured Image by Lynne McGranger / Instagram