|Margrethe II of Denmark Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||April 16, 1940|
Margrethe II of Denmark assumed the reigning position as the Queen of Denmark since 1972. Besides that, Margrethe is also a supreme authority in the Church of Denmark and the commander-in-chief of the Danish Defence.
Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid
Margrethe II of Denmark
Amalienborg, Copenhagen, Occupied Denmark
She divides her time between Amalienborg Palace in Copenhagen, Fredensborg Palace, and Gråsten Palace near Sønderborg.
She graduated in 1959 from N. Zahle’s School in Copenhagen. Later, she was sent off to Hampshire, England’s North Foreland Lodge‘s boarding school for girls.
From 1960 to 1961, she attended the Girton College, Cambridge where she studied prehistoric archaeology. Between 1961 to 1962, Margrethe studied political science at Aarhus University.
She went on to study at the University of Paris in 1963. In 1965, Margrethe went on to study at the London School of Economics.
Queen of Denmark
- Father – King Frederick IX
- Mother – Queen Ingrid
- Siblings – Princess Benedikte of Denmark (Younger Sister) (Princess of Denmark), Queen Anne-Marie of Greece (Younger Sister) (Reigning Queen From 1964-1973)
- Others – King Christian X of Denmark (Paternal Grandfather), Queen Alexandrine née Duchess Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (Paternal Grandmother), Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden (Maternal Grandfather), Crown Princess Margaret née Princess Margaret of Connaught (Maternal Grandmother)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
69 kg or 152 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Margrethe’s name has been linked with –
- Henri de Laborde de Monpezat (1967-2018) – On June 10, 1967, Margrethe got married to a French diplomat, Henri de Laborde de Monpezat. The couple spent a happily married life for more than 5 decades before her husband passed away on February 13, 2018. The couple has 2 children named Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark (b. May 26, 1968) and Prince Joachim of Denmark (b. June 7, 1969).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Danish descent.
- Thin lips
- Wears a pair of rectangular reading glasses
Margrethe II of Denmark Facts
- The Nazis invaded Denmark a week before her birth.
- On May 14, 1940, Margrethe was baptized at the Holmen Church.
- Her first name “Margrethe” was taken from her late maternal grandmother’s first name, her middle name “Alexandrine” from her paternal grandmother’s first name, and her last name “Ingrid” from her mother’s first name.
- She and her sisters were raised at the apartments in Frederick VIII’s Palace at Amalienborg and Fredensborg Palace, North Zealand.
- Margrethe and her sisters enjoyed the summer holidays at her parent’s summer home which was located in Gråsten Palace in Southern Jutland.
- In April 1958, Margrethe was given a seat at the Council of State. She also assumed the role of her father when he was unable to conduct council meetings.
- Margrethe is multi-lingual and can speak in Danish, French, English, Swedish, and German. She also possesses knowledge of Faroese to a certain extent.
- Margrethe succeeded the throne from her father on January 14, 1972. She was 31 years old at the time.
- In the past, she was named a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London.
- Her art is appreciated by many and her paintings were used in The Lord of the Rings Danish editions.
- Margrethe is said to be a chain smoker.
- In September 2022, Margrethe stripped 4 of her 8 grandchildren from their Royal titles. These 4 grandchildren were Prince Nikolai, Prince Felix, Prince Henrik, and Princess Athena.
Featured Image By Johannes Jansson / Wikimedia / CC BY 2.5