|Maria Canals-Barrera Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||September 28, 1966|
Maria Canals-Barrera is an American actress and voiceover artist who is best known for playing Theresa Russo in the Disney Channel family sitcom Wizards of Waverly Place, Daniela in the ABC comedy series Cristela, Connie Torres in the musical films Camp Rock and Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, Lala Pinedo in the romantic comedy film Larry Crowne, Carmen Cruz in the NBC sitcom The Tony Danza Show, Hilda in the ABC comedy-drama series Members Only, Paulina in the action-adventure series Danny Phantom, and Christy in the PBS series American Family. She has done voiceover work in shows and movies including Scooby-Doo! and the Monster of Mexico, Ultimate Spider-Man, Justice League Unlimited, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 1, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns – Part 2, Teen Titans: The Judas Contract, Vixen: The Movie, Handy Manny, Pound Puppies, and The Boondocks.
Maria Canals Barrera
Miami, Florida, United States
Maria Canals-Barrera studied at Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School located at 7977 West Twelfth Avenue in Hialeah, Florida. Also, she took drama classes in junior high.
Actress, Voiceover Artist
- Others – Ricky Canals (Nephew)
Maria Canals-Barrera has been signed with Cafe Con Leche Productions, Inc., Production Company, Burbank, California, United States.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
64 kg or 141 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maria Canals-Barrera has dated –
- David Barrera (1999-Present) – She got married to actor David Barrera on January 16, 1999, and they parent 2 daughters – Bridget Barrera (b. 2003) and Madeleine Barrera (b. 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
Maria Canals-Barrera is of Cuban (Catalan) descent.
- Curvaceous physique
- Charming smile
Maria Canals-Barrera Facts
- In 1993, she made her theatrical film debut as Mrs. Bobo #2 in the family buddy cop-comedy film, Cop and a Half.
- Maria appeared as Ms. Azteca in an episode titled Love Is Very… Confusing of The Brothers García in April 2001 and this performance won her the ALMA Award for “Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Television Series” in 2002.
- From 2007 to 2012, she brought to life the character of Theresa Russo, the mother of Alex, Justin, and Max Russo who co-owns the Waverly Sub Station with her husband Jerry, in the fantasy teen sitcom, Wizards of Waverly Place.
- For her role in Wizards of Waverly Place, she won the 2011 ALMA Award for “Favorite TV Actress – Supporting Role”.
- Maria Canals-Barrera played Daniela Gonzalez (née Hernandez), Cristela’s over-the-top, vain sister who is the manager of a call center, in Cristela between 2014 and 2015 and got nominated for an Imagen Award for “Best Supporting Actress – Television” in 2015.
- She is fluent in Spanish.
Featured Image by Richard Sandoval / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0