|Martha Plimpton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 16, 1970|
Martha Plimpton is an American actor, voice actor, singer, former model, writer, and producer who has been cast in various movies like Parenthood, Music from Another Room, The Mosquito Coast, Frozen II, Dante’s Inferno, Shy People, The Goonies, Running on Empty, Samantha, Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle, Small Town Murder Songs, The Sleepy Time Gal, Remember Me, and The Beans of Egypt, Maine. She is also known for her television roles like playing Patti Nyholm in The Good Wife, Virginia Chance in Raising Hope, Claire Rinato in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Eileen O’Neal in The Real O’Neals, and Megan in Generation. Moreover, Martha Plimpton has been a part of Broadway productions like Shining City (2006-2007), The Coast of Utopia (2006-2007), Top Girls (2007-2008), and Pal Joey (2008-2009).
Martha Campbell Plimpton
New York City, New York, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Martha Plimpton went to the Professional Children’s School in Manhattan, New York City.
Actor, Singer, Model, Voice Actor, Writer, Producer
- Father – Keith Carradine (Actor, Singer, Songwriter)
- Mother – Shelley Plimpton (Actor and Singer)
- Siblings – Sorel Carradine (Younger Paternal Half-Sister), Cade Carradine (Younger Paternal Half-Brother)
- Others – John Carradine (Paternal Grandfather) (Actor), Sonia Sorel (Paternal Grandmother) (Actor and Artist), William Sherman Plimpton (Maternal Grandfather), Martha Jane Williams (Maternal Grandmother), David Carradine (Paternal Uncle) (Actor and Producer), Robert Carradine (Paternal Uncle) (Actor and Producer), Michael Bowen (Uncle) (Actor), Ever Carradine (Paternal Cousin) (Actor), Kansas Carradine (Paternal Cousin) (Actor)
Martha Plimpton has been represented by Markham, Froggatt & Irwin, Talent Management Company, London, England, United Kingdom.
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, her net worth had been $4.5 Million.
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Martha Plimpton has dated –
- River Phoenix (1986-1989) – Martha Plimpton started going out with actor River Phoenix in 1986. They had met while shooting for the movie, The Mosquito Coast, and had fallen for each other while working together. They decided to end their relationship amicably towards the end of 1989 due to Phoenix’s substance abuse. Regardless, the duo maintained a close bond until his death in 1993 and Plimpton later stated, “When we split up, a lot of it was that I had learned that screaming, fighting, and begging wasn’t going to change him. He had to change himself, and he didn’t want to yet.”
- Jon Patrick Walker (1994-1996) – Martha started dating stage actor Jon Patrick Walker in 1994. After dating for about a year, they got engaged in March 1995. In the statement released by her representative, they had planned to get married in April 1996. However, the wedding never took place and they ended their courtship in May 1996.
- Fred Armisen (2005-2006) – Martha was rumored to be dating comedian Fred Armisen in October 2005. Their relationship was rumored to have lasted for about a year. However, she has refuted the existence of any such relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
On her father’s side, she has English, Ashkenazi Jewish, German, Danish, Dutch, Swiss-German, and distant Irish ancestry. While, on her mother’s side, she has English and some distant Scottish ancestry.
Dark Brown (Natural)
She often tends to dye her hair ‘Blonde’.
- Shortcut hairdo
- Prominent nose
Early in her modeling career, Martha Plimpton was roped in to do endorsement work for Calvin Klein Jeans.
Her tomboyish looks were reported to be a deal-breaker in getting her cast in the promotional campaigns.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Patti Nyholm in the legal drama series, The Good Wife
- Having played the role of Virginia Chance in the Fox drama series, Raising Hope from 2010 to 2014
- Her stellar work in successful Broadway productions such as The Coast of Utopia, Shining City, and Top Girls
As a Singer
In 2008, she collaborated with singer Lucy Wainwright Roche to perform Bruce Springsteen‘s song Hungry Heart for Lucy’s EP 8 More. She has performed songs for various radio programs as well.
In 1981, she made her theatrical film debut in the political thriller Rollover, which had Jane Fonda in the lead role. She was 11 years old at the time of her film debut.
First TV Show
In 1983, Martha made her television show debut as Rhona in ABC Afterschool Specials.
Martha Plimpton Favorite Things
- Japanese Restaurant – Yakitori Sun Chan on the Upper West Side in New York City
- Meal – London Broil
- Go-To Breakfast – Bacon, scrambled eggs, a bagel, and a watermelon or sliced tomatoes
- New York City Restaurants – Al Di La, Peter Luger, Yakitori Sun Chan, Gennaro, L’Artusi, Red Room, Momofuko, and Prune
- App – Bitmoji
- TV Show – The People v. O.J. Simpson
Martha Plimpton Facts
- She is a vegetarian. She was introduced to the vegetarian lifestyle by her former boyfriend River Phoenix, who passed away in 1993.
- The Chicago punk band The Lawrence Arms had once written a song dedicated to her called Light Breathing (Me and Martha Plimpton in a Fancy Elevator).
- She has served as an ambassador for the Center for Reproductive Rights’ Draw the Line campaign. She has also done other activism work for the non-profit organization.
- Between 2009 and 2013, she appeared as Patti Nyholm in The Good Wife and this performance won her the Primetime Emmy Award for “Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series” while she was also nominated for a Critics’ Choice Television Award for “Best Guest Performer in a Drama Series”.
- Martha is a co-founder of Everything is Horrible, which is a production company that produces short films made especially for the internet.
- She co-starred as Virginia Slims Chance, Hope’s paternal grandmother, in the Fox sitcom Raising Hope from 2010 to 2014. For this role, she bagged the Satellite Award in the “Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy” category.
- She has done a lot of activism work for abortion rights and has spoken at several rallies and events organized for the group. She caused a minor controversy in 2017 when she revealed that she had undergone an abortion on multiple occasions.
- Martha Plimpton is a strong advocate of LGBT rights.
- She is a member of the board of directors of The Players, which is a New York City-based social club that was founded by actor Edwin Booth in 1888.
- She has been roped in to narrate a couple of audiobooks such as Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk.
- Martha is a member of the iconic The Steppenwolf Theatre Company Ensemble.
- She has served as a member of the board of directors of A Is For…, which is a non-profit organization that works to promote women’s reproductive rights.
Featured Image by PEN American Center / Flickr / CC BY-2.0