|Matt Martians Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||September 12, 1988|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Matt Martians is an American singer and record producer known for being a member of The Internet. Whether it is his solo work or his work with his hip-hop groups, his incredible music sense and inherent understanding of beats always shine through. He serves as the producer for most of the music of his hip-hop collective, Odd Future. He was a key figure in helming Kilo Kish‘s debut. Matt also inspired Kendrick Lamar to try free form with his work as one half of the production duo, The Jet Age of Tomorrow.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
At the age of 17, Matt Martians got enrolled at the Auburn University. After studying for 2 years at the university, he decided to shift to an Atlanta-based design school called Creative Circus. However, he didn’t complete his studies as he was kicked out.
Record Producer, Illustrator, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – His father is an entrepreneur.
- Mother – His mother is a nurse practitioner.
- Siblings – Mitch Martin (Older Brother) (A&R at OutKast’s Aquemini Records)
Trip-hop, Neo Soul, Alternative R&B
- Columbia Records
- Odd Future Records
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
82 kg or 181 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He has African American ancestry.
Best Known For
Being a member of the American band, The Internet, which counts Syd, Patrick Paige II, Christopher Smith, and Steve Lacy as its other members. The band is best known for the success of their album, Ego Death, which was even nominated for a Grammy Award.
As a member of Odd Future, he released his debut studio album, The OF Tape Vol. 2 in 2012. It was a monumental hit and peaked at number 5 on the US Billboard 200 chart.
In January 2017, he released his debut studio album as a solo artist, The Drum Chord Theory.
As a member of The Internet, Matt released his first studio album Purple Naked Ladies in 2011.
First TV Show
In 2012, Matt Martians made his first TV show appearance on the comedy series, Loiter Squad.
Matt Martians Favorite Things
- Influences – Timbaland, Sa-Ra, and The Neptunes
Source – Spin
Matt Martians Facts
- He started making music at the age of 18. He was in the sophomore year of college at that time.
- After he realized that college wasn’t for him, he saved around $2,000 over the summer and bought all the equipment he needed which included Roland Fantom, Korg M3, Pro Tools, and a new MacBook.
- One of the first individuals to like his music was Tyler, the Creator. Tyler discovered Matt’s music on Myspace and instantly dropped a message complementing his skills.
- After he was kicked out of Atlanta design school, he decided to move to Los Angeles and focus on creating music with his hip-hop group, Odd Future.
- Matt is a talented illustrator and has even designed a logo for his friend and groupmate Syd’s merchandise. He also designs the covers and all the merchandise of his music group, The Internet.
- He recorded his studio album, The Drum Chord Theory, in his childhood bedroom as he believes that it is a special place for him. Also, the neighbors are far away so he can literally sing and yell at the top of his voice.
Featured Image by Matt Martians / YouTube