|MC Jin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||June 4, 1982|
MC Jin is a Hong Kong-American actor, rapper, and songwriter. He is of Hakka descent. The rapper was born in Florida, United States but spent his time in Hong Kong too in the early days of his career. He is the first Asian American solo rapper who got the opportunity to sign up with an established record label in the United States. He had commenced his career in 2001 by performing freestyles and then recording them so that he could earn money by selling it.
Miami, Florida, United States
American, Hong Kongese
MC Jin went to the John F. Kennedy Middle School. He later got enrolled at the North Miami Beach Senior High School and graduated in 2000 but decided against getting enrolled in a college and instead, chose to focus on his rap career.
Rapper, songwriter, actor
- Father – He owned a Chinese restaurant.
- Mother – She was the co-owner of a Chinese restaurant with her husband.
- Siblings – Avah Au-Yeung (Younger Sister)
MC Jin is managed by Carl Choi of The Great Company.
Southern hip hop, East Coast hip hop, Hong Kong hip hop, Chinese hip hop
Ruff Ryders Entertainment, Virgin Records, Crafty Plugz Entertainment, Draft Records, Imperial Records, Universal Music Group, Catch Adventures, The Great Company
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
MC Jin has dated
- Carol Au-Yeung (2004-Present) – MC Jin got married to Carol in a romantic ceremony in Puerto Rico in February 2011. At the time of their marriage, it was revealed that they had been dating for nearly 7 years. In summer of 2012, she gave birth to their son, Chance.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Hakka Chinese ancestry.
Often wears a cap or shades
MC Jin has appeared in a couple of Cantonese language TV commercials. He bagged these endorsement gigs while he was living in Hong Kong.
In 2008, he became born again Christian.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular and successful American rappers of the Asian origin.
- The commercial success of his single, Learn English, which featured iconic rapper, Wyclef Jean as well.
- The popularity of his studio albums such as I Promise and The Rest is History.
In October 2004, he released his debut studio album, The Rest is History, which made its US Billboard Hip Hop Albums chart debut on the 12th position. The album has sold over 100,000 units in the United States and more than 250,000 copies all over the world.
In 2003, he made his theatrical film debut as Jimmy in the crime thriller movie, 2 Fast 2 Furious.
First TV Show
In 2002, MC Jin made his first TV show appearance on the music TV series, 106 & Park Top 10 Live.
MC Jin Facts
- In 2008, MC Jin recorded a song for Barack Obama’s 2012 US Presidential campaign. He even performed the song at a rally held at Square Park in New York City.
- He started his rap career by freestyling and recording these freestyles on the mixtapes, which he sold in the hip hop clubs, on the streets, and wherever he could buy a willing buyer.
- When he was hustling on the streets, his talent was noticed by Kamel Pratt, who became his manager and they later collaborated to start Crafty Plugz Entertainment.
- He got his first big breakthrough after he was invited to BET show, 106 & Park to participate in their segment called Freestyle Friday, in which local rappers held battles.
- On Freestyle Friday, he managed to win 7 consecutive rap battles, which led to him being inducted into the Freestyle Friday Hall of Fame.
- On the day he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, he also announced that he had signed a record deal with Ruff Ryders Label.
- After disappointing album sales, he announced that he was retiring in May 2005. He even recorded a single I Quit to make it clear that he was exploring other options.
- However, he later re-entered the rap scene and started performing under the new stage name The Emcee.
- In summer of 2008, he decided to move to Hong Kong for 3 months to promote his first Cantonese album, ABC. The album had been recorded in 2006 but he found an interested party in Universal Records HK in 2008.
- As he started achieving more success in the Hong Kong hip-hop scene and achieved a celebrity status, he extended his stay in Hong Kong till 2012.
- In 2017, he participated in The Rap of China, which is a Chinese music reality show. He adopted alias of HipHopMan for the show, which helped him gain fame in mainland China.
- He is fluent in English and Cantonese. He is also fairly proficient in Mandarin. But, he is illiterate when it comes to Chinese.
- In 2003, the Rolling Stones magazine included him in the list featuring year’s top new artists to watch.
- Visit his official website @ mcjin.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Soundcloud, Google+, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Rene “Ralph” Min / Flickr / CC BY 2.0