|Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||August 19, 1973|
|Spouse||Haakon, Crown Prince of Norway|
Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway is the wife of Crown Prince Haakon, heir apparent to the throne of Norway.
Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby
Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway
Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, Norway
Skaugum Estate, Asker, Norway
Mette-Marit attended Wangaratta High School located in North East Victoria in Australia as an exchange student with the exchange organization, Youth For Understanding. After that, she got enrolled at Kristiansand katedralskole and passed her final examinations in 1994.
She also studied at Agder College and in 2012, she received a master’s degree in Executive Management.
Member of the Norwegian Royal Family
- Father – Sven O. Høiby (Worked as a journalist for a local paper, Small-scale advertiser and publisher in his hometown)
- Mother – Marit Tjessem (Former Bank Clerk)
- Siblings – Per Høiby (Older Brother) (Chief executive of the PR agency First House), Espen B. Høiby (Older Brother), Kristin Høiby Bjørnøy (Sister)
- Others – Trond Berntsen (Stepbrother) (Died in the 2011 Norway attacks), Harald V of Norway (Father-In-Law) (King of Norway), Queen Sonja of Norway (Mother-In-Law) (Queen Consort of Norway), Princess Märtha Louise of Norway (Sister-In-Law)
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Crown Princess of Norway has dated –
- Morten Borg – In the past, she was romantically involved with Morten Borg, a convicted felon. They have a son named Marius Borg Høiby (b. January 13, 1997).
- Haakon, Crown Prince of Norway (2001-Present) – She met Crown Prince Haakon at a garden party during the Quart Festival season and the duo eventually got engaged on December 1, 2000. She then made her first official appearance as the intended bride of the Crown Prince at the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony at Oslo City Hall on December 10, 2000. Haakon gave Mette-Marit the same engagement ring that his grandfather King Olav V and his father King Harald V had given to their fiancées and the couple married on August 25, 2001, at the Oslo Cathedral. The royal couple has been blessed with 2 children – Princess Ingrid Alexandra (b. January 21, 2004) and Prince Sverre Magnus (b. December 3, 2005).
Race / Ethnicity
Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway Facts
- She grew up in Kristiansand.
- Her parents divorced in 1984 and her father then married professional stripper Renate Barsgård.
- Mette-Marit was raised by her mother and stepfather and used to visit her father on weekends. She has also revealed that her father suffered from alcoholism.
- Her engagement to Crown Prince Haakon received much negative reaction from the public and media and many Norwegians were “horrified” and felt that the Crown Prince’s choice of partner was questionable due to her lack of education, previous relationships with convicted felons, and her socialization in a milieu “where drugs were readily available”.
- Before she met Crown Prince Haakon Magnus, she went through a rebellious phase.
- Mette-Marit previously used to work as a waitress at the restaurant Cafè Engebret in Oslo.
- Upon her marriage to Crown Prince Haakon Magnus, she acquired the title “Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess of Norway”.
- It was reported in 2012 that she assisted a Norwegian couple with ties to the royal family in procuring surrogacy services in India, despite the fact that surrogacy is banned in Norway. This attracted controversies and she was criticized by women’s rights groups for participating in human trafficking that exploits women in developing countries.
- She also attracted controversies in 2019 for her friendship with the American convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Featured Image by Frankie Fouagnthin / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0