|Michael Keaton Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||September 5, 1951|
Michael Keaton has long been considered one of the finest actors in Hollywood. He started his rise with his roles in the popular sitcoms All’s Fair and The Mary Tyler Moore Hour. Then, he managed to impress the audiences with his comedic timing and skills in the movies such as Night Shift, Mr. Mom, and Johnny Dangerously. He got the biggest breakthrough of his career after he was cast by Tim Burton in Batman. However, his casting in the iconic role wasn’t well received and the studio received thousands of angry letters. However, he managed to prove them all wrong with his brilliant portrayal of the caped crusader. He made his return to the mainstream stardom late in his career with another superhero movie. This time, he was cast as the lead villain in the Spider-Man: Homecoming and was once again peerless in his role.
Michael John Douglas
Michael Keaton, Keats, Dougie
Robinson Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States
Keaton spends most of his free time at his 1000-plus acres ranch, Big Sky, which is located near Big Timber, Montana. He also owns a luxurious house in the Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles. In October 2016, he bought another ranchette in the rugged mountains above Summerland, California.
Michael Keaton went to Montour High School in Robinson Township, Pennsylvania. After graduating from high school, he got enrolled at Kent State University. He studied speech at the university but dropped out after 2 years and returned to Pennsylvania.
Actor, Producer, Director
- Father – George A. Douglas (Civil Engineer and Surveyor)
- Mother – Leona Elizabeth Douglas (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Robert J. Douglas (Older Brother), Paul J. Douglas (Older Brother), George A. Douglas Jr. (Older Brother), Diane M. Douglas (Older Sister), Pamela M. Douglas (Older Sister), Joyce A. Douglas (Older Sister)
- Others – George W. Douglass (Paternal Grandfather), Ella Sarah Matchett (Paternal Grandmother), John Henry Loftus (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Elizabeth May (Maternal Grandmother)
Michael Keaton is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
- Anonymous Content
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Keaton has dated –
- Caroline McWilliams (1982-1990) – In 1982, Michael started going out with actress Caroline McWilliams. They had been dating for quite some time and eventually got married. In 1983, she gave birth to their son, Sean Douglas, who is an accomplished musician, songwriter, and music producer. However, they decided to end their marriage in 1990.
- Rachel Ryan (1988) – Keaton was reported to have had an affair with the p*rnographic actress, Rachel Ryan, in 1988. It was claimed that they had grown close while shooting for the movie, Clean and Sober, in which she was cast in a minor role and he was cast in the leading role.
- Michelle Pfeiffer (1988-1989) – In 1988, he started dating actress Michelle Pfeiffer. After actress Sean Young broke her collarbone while shooting for a horseriding scene in the action movie, Batman, Tim Burton suggested that they should replace her with Michelle Pfeiffer for the role of Vicki Vale in the movie. However, Keaton felt that it would be too awkward and they eventually cast Kim Basinger in the role.
- Courteney Cox (1989-1995) – In 1989, Keaton got into a relationship with actress, Courteney Cox. They dated for about 6 years before parting ways in the summer of 1995.
- Audra Lynn (2003) – In the summer of 2003, Keaton was reported to be dating Audra Lynn who competed as a horse rider. They had met at an event organized by Spike TV. He heard her talking about horses and decided to approach her. They dated for a couple of months.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry on his mother’s side and is of English, German, Scottish, and Scotch-Irish descent on his father’s side.
Michael Keaton has voiced George Washington in a TV commercial for the launch of the new Dollar coin.
He was raised in a Catholic household.
As an adult, he has lapsed and hasn’t been a Catholic since he was an altar boy. However, he occasionally visits the church and has often defended the Catholic faith.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the role of Batman in the action drama movie, Batman, and its sequel, Batman Returns
- His critically acclaimed performance in the black comedy movie, Birdman. His tremendous performance in the movie helped him win a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor.
- Having worked in popular movies such as Clean and Sober, The Dream Team, Pacific Heights, Much Ado About Nothing, The Other Guys, Robocop, and Need for Speed
In 1978, he made his theatrical film debut in a supporting role in the comedy movie, Rabbit Test.
First TV Show
In 1974, Michael Keaton made his first TV show appearance on the educational children’s show, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.
Michael Keaton Favorite Things
- Hobby – Fishing
- NFL Team – Pittsburgh Steelers
- MLB Team – Pittsburgh Pirates
Source – The Hollywood Reporter, IMDb, Wikipedia
Michael Keaton Facts
- When he started his acting career, he decided to use ‘Michael Keaton’ as his work name as there were already 2 actors registered with his birth name.
- While trying to build his stand-up comedy career, he used to work as an ice cream truck driver and cab driver. Later, he also worked as a TV cameraman at WQED.
- He was a member of the Flying Zookeeni Brothers comedy troupe which later led him to join Chicago’s popular Second City improvisational group.
- He had to take a brief leave from Twitter after he made a joke about Anthony Weiner who was a former U.S. Congressman and was married to Hillary Clinton‘s close aide Huma Abedin.
- In recognition of his services to acting and cinema, he was made Officer of Order of Arts and Letters by French culture minister Fleur Pellerin in January 2016.
- When Tim Burton decided to cast him in the role of Batman, there was a lot of backlash and anger against Burton’s decision. The studio had to release an advance trailer to show that Keaton can do a good job as Batman.
- He was offered the role of either Peter Venkman or Egon Spengler in the action comedy, Ghostbusters. However, he decided to reject both the roles.
- He is a registered Democrat and endorsed Barack Obama‘s re-election bid in 2012. He also endorsed Bernie Sanders for the Democratic nomination in 2016.
- When he was 21 years old, he worked on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico.
- He was under consideration for multiple roles such as Vincent Vega (played by John Travolta), Mr. Wolf (played by Harvey Keitel), and Lance (played by Eric Stoltz) in the iconic movie, Pulp Fiction.
- He had been cast in the role of Sean Devine in the thriller drama movie, Mystic River. He had even filmed some of the scenes but then he clashed with the movie director, Clint Eastwood, over creative inputs and decided to leave the project.
- He got his first big breakthrough with his starring role in the comedy movie, Night Shift. His work in the movie helped him bag various roles in hit comedy movies such as Mr. Mom, Johnny Dangerously, and Gung Ho.
- He earned widespread critical acclaim for his work in the horror comedy movie, Beetlejuice. Interestingly, he had originally rejected the role but later changed his decision.
- He is such a big Pittsburgh Pirates fan that he had negotiated a clause in his contract for Tim Burton’s Batman that would allow him to take a break from shooting in case the Pirates made to the playoffs.
- According to reports, he was approached by Warner Bros. to again portray the famous superhero in Batman Forever. However, he decided to turn down the role even after he was offered $15 million for it.
- During the 2021 SAG Awards, he won the award for “Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture” along with the cast of The Trial of the Chicago 7 (2020). With this, he became the first actor to win 3 SAG awards for “Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture” with his previous wins for Birdman in 2014 and Spotlight in 2015.
- In February 2022, Michael won the Screen Actors Guild Award for “Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Limited Series” for his work in Dopesick.
Featured Images by Georges Biard / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0