|Michael Phelps Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||June 30, 1985|
Michael Fred Phelps II
Superman, The Baltimore Bullet, Flying Fish, MP, Gomer
Born Place / Residence
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Phelps went to Rodgers Forge Elementary, Dumbarton Middle School and Towson High School from where he later graduated in 2003.
After Michael finished high schooling, he enrolled himself into the University of Michigan to major in Sports Management.
- Father – Michael Fred Phelps (Retired Maryland State Trooper)
- Mother – Deborah Sue “Debbie” (née Davisson) (Middle School Principal)
- Siblings – Whitney Phelps (Older Sister), Hilary Phelps (Older Sister)
Phelps is signed with –
- Octagon (Sports Management Gesellschaft)
- Michael Phelps Foundation
Backstroke, Freestyle, Individual medley, Butterfly
6 ft 4 in or 193 cm
90 kg or 198.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Michael Phelps dated –
- Lily Donaldson – In 2008, Michael was RUMORed to be dating the English fashion model Lily Donaldson.
- Stephanie Rice (2008) – In August 2008, Phelps had a fling with the Australian female swimmer, Stephanie Rice.
- Caroline Pal (2008-2009) – Phelps was in a brief relationship with the American waitress Caroline Pal with whom he met during the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing. They dated from September 2008 to April 2009.
- Maria Ho (2008) – RUMOR
- Carrie Prejean (2009) – In 2009, Michael dated an American model Carrie Prejean. They were together for several months before they split up during the same year.
- Brittny Gastineau (2010-2011) – In the period from November 2010 until February 2011, the American swimming superstar was in a relationship with the American socialite Brittny Gastineau.
- Megan Rossee (2012-2013) – From 2012 to early 2013, Michael dated an American model Megan Rossee.
- Win McMurry (2013) – In 2013, Phelps was in a brief relationship with the American TV Personality Win McMurry.
- Taylor Lianne Chandler (2014) – RUMOR
- Nicole Johnson (2009-2012; 2014-Present) – Michael first commenced dating Nicole Johnson in 2009 after first meeting her in 2007 at the ESPYs. The couple stayed together for three years until 2012 when they temporarily parted ways. Shortly after, they got back together. Phelps and Nicole engaged on February 21, 2015. Together, they have 3 sons Boomer Robert Phelps (b. May 5, 2016), Beckett Richard Phelps (b. February 12, 2018), and Maverick Nicolas Phelps (b. September 9, 2019). On June 13, 2016, they secretly got married.
Race / Ethnicity
Michael is of English, Irish, Welsh, German, and Scottish descent.
- Big Ears
- Huge wingspan (His arm to arm length can extend to 6 ft 7 in)
- Elongated face
Michael Phelps’ body specifications may be –
- Chest – 47.5 in or 121 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 35 in or 89 cm
Michael has signed endorsement deals with Speedo, Omega, AT&T, Powerbar, Visa, Argent Mortgage, etc.
He has also appeared in TV adverts for Under Armour, Subway restaurants, Head & Shoulders, and others.
Phelps believes in God.
Best Known For
For many experts, Phelps has been the best swimmer on the planet because of his domination in the swimming pool. He will be remembered for winning 8 gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing and for being the most dominating Olympian of all time (23 gold medals in all the Olympiads and overall 28 medals).
First Swimming Competition
Phelps had his professional swimming debut at the Sydney Summer Games in 2000. He competed in Men’s 200 meters Butterfly and finished 5th. At the time, Michael was only 15 years old.
First TV Show
Other than swimming matches itself, Michael was first seen in the TV show Miss USA 2005 as himself – Celebrity Judge in 2005.
Michael started receiving training from Bob Bowman when he was 11 and since then, these two work together all of the time. Phelps credits Bob for his accomplishments and for pushing him from a young age.
Michael is known for his tireless work ethic and for being very energetic. He spends 3 to 5 hours in the pool working out and eats an enormous 10,000 calories a day. He works out six days a week and hasn’t missed a single workout for years (No holidays, No off days).
In continuation, there are numerous videos of Phelps’ physical preparation which can be seen on YouTube.
Michael Phelps Favorite Things
- City In The USA – Baltimore
- International Destination – Australia
- Music – Hip Hop
- Celebrity – Michael Jordan
- Food Menu – Cereal/oatmeal for breakfasts, Protein, and eggs after practice
- Food – Corn Dogs
- Music Artists – Eminem, Usher, Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent
- Movie – Tommy Boy (1995)
- Color – Blue
- Actor – Scott Baio
Source – USASwimming.org
Michael Phelps Facts
- Phelps’ parents divorced when he was 9.
- He started swimming at the age of 7.
- Growing up, he idolized Ian Thorpe.
- When Michael was 11, he was identified with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).
- Phelps’ first club was North Baltimore Aquatic Club. He was coached by Bob Bowman.
- At the 2001 World Aquatics Championship, Michael set a world record in the 200-meter butterfly and became the youngest swimmer to set a swimming world record. At the time, Phelps was only 15 years and 9 months old.
- He won 4 gold medals and two silvers at the 2003 World Aquatics Championships. He also broke five world records during the event.
- Michael won a total of 17 medals at the World Championships in the period from 2001 to 2007.
- He has double-jointed knees and elbows which help him for the dolphin-like kick while he swims.
- Michael competed for the USA in the 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2012 Olympic games.
- In February 2009, there was a picture posted by a friend of Michael that shows the swimmer smoking marijuana at a party.
- He once owned a black Cadillac Escalade. It is not known if he still owns it or not.
- There’s a street named after Michael at his birthplace Towson, Maryland.
- He was named World Swimmer of the Year in 2003, 2004, and 2006.
- At the age of 19 in November 2004, Phelps was charged with driving under the influence (DUI). He had to pay $250, was sentenced to serve 18 months probation and attended Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) meeting.
- In September 2014, Phelps again was handcuffed by the police for driving under the influence of alcohol. After the incident, Michael was suspended from all swimming events for a period of six months and was excluded from the list of swimmers that needed to represent the USA at the 2015 World Aquatics Championships.
- At the 2008 Olympics, Phelps was RUMORed to be using illicit drugs in order to increase his performance in the swimming pool. He later rejected the rumors by passing all the nine tests of the official anti-doping testing system.
- In 2008, Phelps opened the Michael Phelps Foundation which focuses on expanding swimming as a sport and promotes a healthier way of living.
- He stated that his mother was the most influential person for him.
- When Michael has free time, he plays video games or watches television.
- He loves to play golf.
- At the University of Michigan, Phelps had sometimes worked as an assistant coach of Bob Bowman.
- Despite his retirement after the 2012 Olympic Games in London, in April 2014, Michael stated that he would be going back to the swimming pool. In May 2014, Phelps competed in the 100-meter butterfly event in Charlotte, North Carolina where he finished in the first place.
- Michael qualified for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio after he won the 200m individual medley and 100m butterfly events during the USA Olympic Team testings.
- For the Tokyo Olympics 2020 (held in 2021 due to COVID-19), Michael was the swimming commentator for NBC.